Oracle.

Badger

Re: Oracle.

No, not Barbara Gordon. ;)

Was bored tonight and watched history channel documentary on Thermopylae. So, I got to thinking what/how a modern day Oracle at Delphi could be used in Champions. What powers (Apart from pre-cognition) would be doable for the character?

Danger Sense

High Presence (both for protection against Presence attacks ["Oh, I know what's coming"] and a way to BS opponents["Your doom has been foretold!"])

Possible Ego Attack (overloading an opponent's mind with all the multiple possibilities)

Find Weakness

And that's off the top of my sake-addled brain right now. :ugly:

No, not Barbara Gordon. ;)

Was bored tonight and watched history channel documentary on Thermopylae. So, I got to thinking what/how a modern day Oracle at Delphi could be used in Champions. What powers (Apart from pre-cognition) would be doable for the character?

Well, one bit of trivia concerning the Oracle of Delphi is that she got her "powers" by inhaling fumes that were supposedly the product of the incredibly slow process of decay from the rotting corpse of the "Python" Apollo slew in order to take over the sanctuary. Which is why she's called the Pythia. This is presumably a mythologised version of the cult of Apollo taking over a temple originally consecrated to a chthonian deity. But it offers the prospect of the Pythia turning into a giant snake or summoning a giant snake, or maybe a dragon.

Some background data on the Pythia.

Since in her trance state she was supposedly possessed by the spirit of Apollo, you could give her minor solar powers when possessed, reflecting Apollo's association with the sun; or abilities based on his many other attributes (see Apollo). You could also interpret her "ecstatic trance" as something similar to a berserker fury (not unlike the wild state of Dionysus' Maenad followers), with enhanced physical ability.

Some background data on the Pythia.

Since in her trance state she was supposedly possessed by the spirit of Apollo, you could give her minor solar powers when possessed, reflecting Apollo's association with the sun; or abilities based on his many other attributes (see Apollo). You could also interpret her "ecstatic trance" as something similar to a berserker fury (not unlike the wild state of Dionysus' Maenad followers), with enhanced physical ability.

Oracle: I predict you will be ripped limb from limb by an irritated Oracle!

Some things that come to mind:

Telepathy, limited to surface thoughts, read only "I know why you are here."

Missile Deflection, "best block, no be there!"

Various forms of Life Support, she is pretty darned close to an Avatar, if you think on it.

Flash Defense, "Sure I can't see you now, but I saw you now, before"

Armor Piercing and Penetrating attacks, "You always expose your pauldron on that overhead sweep."

Analyze Combat style.

etc.

If she follows the precedent of the classical Pythia' date=' any antendent priest acting as intermediary should probably have Cryptography. ;)[/quote']

My Eagles are well out of the playoffs. Bad day. Lemme'lone. Mean. Dead. Person. Thing. Face. You. Bleh. :idjit:

Oracle. Hot naked girl being pawed by lepers. Yes. Boy parts of that movie were weird.