Ravenloft conversion

Doc

Ji everybody,

I was wondering if any solid conversion for the D&D Ravenloft world was available somewhere. Does anybody know about this? (TH, maybe? ;))

You see, Ravenloft is the only thing I'll miss about D&D (I decided never to play D&D again, now that I learned the existence of Hero...) but I don't want to lose my campaing... Well, maybe the Darksun setting would be fun to converse, too. But anyway...

Thank you very much.

Re: Ravenloft conversion

Easiest thing to do is use any of KS's notes that you like for character conversion, adapt the monsters as you like, and leave the setting alone. Ravenloft wins on the strength of its characters and its setting; not its mechanics. So it's a very simple matter to adapt the core d20 material that you want to keep, and then redesign the rest in HERO. I wouldn't even worry about it, frankly.

Easiest thing to do is use any of KS's notes that you like for character conversion' date=' adapt the monsters as you like, and leave the setting alone. Ravenloft wins on the strength of its characters and its setting; not its mechanics. So it's a very simple matter to adapt the core d20 material that you want to keep, and then redesign the rest in HERO. I wouldn't even worry about it, frankly.[/quote']

Well, it's just that I'm new to the system and that I would like to have this transfer "well done" in one shot instead of making a lot of in game tests, as it is an ongoing campaing. I'm still not sure on how to make a conversion...

Damn, I knew I should have expanded my greeting text to include the conversions sites.

Don't worry good sir, a lengthy list will be comng your way shortly. but alsogo to www.killershrike.com

And welcome aboard.

Thanks. Just one thing, I went on the site through the link, but I found nothing about Ravenloft. Well, I didn't really take the time to read it, but is it general conversion tips or is there something precise about Ravenloft?

Anyway, thanks guys.

No, killershrike.com is not about Ravenloft. It's a collection of content and resources for various HERO System things; including a very detailed 3e to HERO System conversion.

So if you have a Ravenloft game book and theres something in it you want in the HERO System, the guidelines given should help you do that.

If there is something unique to Ravenloft that really needs to be handled mechanically, post it up and somebody will come along with suggestions on how to handle it.

The thing that stands out most to me from Ravenloft, aside from a lot of non-standardized ghosts, mummies, etc, is the fear roll and its variants. This can be easily handled in Hero by a PRE attack, with lower levels of effect representing fear, the +30 level could represent terror, and adding a +40 or +50 level would give you a threshold for insanity.

I would build each domain as the base of its darklord, and give most of them EDM, so that the darklords could remove the whole domain to its own pocket plane (closing the borders). Some domains would have a megascale attack that only worked at the borders, to represent the endless waves of monsters that close the borders of some domains.

The corruption process is already fairly free-form, IIRC, so converting it to Hero is really easy. I'd just handwave it, although you could define it as a massive Transform.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

Well, there's also the 3.0/3.5E version, which uses 3 different rolls (Fear, Horror and something I'm not recalling) which are all just SFX of either EGO or PRE, depending. That rule would need to be imported, but the rest of it is setting. I suppose I could write up a version of Strahd, but ... good heavens, why would I want too? I like him better as an icon than a character sheet. Same for Azalin Rex. If I were to write up anyone it would be Death, currently residing in Il Aluk, but that's because he was slated as a major villain for my last campaign.