WWYCD Fantasy HERO Edition #2: Sophie's Choice

Super Squirrel

I normally don't create these types of game threads but I'm curious what you guys would do if presented with a similar situation as we were.

Aciarren is an evil, powerful necromantic sorcerer vampire. He has complete control over a region of land that is known for abducting people and forcing them into slavery. He is pure evil to the bone. Your party, at one point in time, faced him and at the sacrifice of the life of one of your party members, were able to get his sword away from him. This sword gave him great magical powers and defenses and is considered to be the most powerful artifact in the world.

Ryllis is an elf who, upon her death, will unleash an cataclysmic event known as the sixth upheaval. The event will happen at some point in time because Ryllis is not immortal and this is destined to come but coming at the wrong time could cause massive death and destruction across the world.

Aciarren has abducted Ryllis and one of his messengers presents you with a choice. He will release Ryllis unharmed to you if you return to him, his sword. Rescue is not an option as the last time you tried to rescue someone from there... well it wasn't pretty.

What Would Your Character Do?

Re: WWYCD Fantasy HERO Edition #2: Sophie's Choice

Ah - Miles is more confident that future problems are still solvable for current solutions.

In this case - the sword was taken away once before, it could possibly be done again in the future. However, if someone dies, there's no bringing them back (at least not in the setting he's in).

So - promise the sword, get Ryllis, give the sword.

If there's any back stabbing or betrayal by Aciarren, then the consequences he brought on himself.

Sophie's choice was which one of her children should live and which on should die. If she couldn't choose, both died. Your premise is nothing like that.

Anyway, it's a hard choice but not an impossible one like Sophie's was... If it was me I'd hand over the sword and hope to get my revenge at a later date. That's what the GM has planned, right?

So... immortal vampire sorceror. Demonstratably evil. Alarmingly powerful. *IMMORTAL*

versus possible temporary inconvience for the general population.

Vitus would laugh in his face, and suggest he fashion a replacement sword and swivel on it.

I should probably clarify one of Josh's points, since it's his character's opinion that the sorcerer is Pure Evil. Some evidence has come to light, from the party bard, who (reluctantly) revealed that the sorcerer is capable of doing good deeds. He should know; he was captured by this sorcerer and treated well. Of late, Aciarren has done nothing to directly stymie their efforts, and actually helped Daris in defeating a very angry demon on the loose, then ignored Daris entirely, even after Daris tried to use the opportunity to kill him. Aciarren has been behaving differently since the sword (which was posessed by an evil spirit, and has since been exorcised) was taken from him.

Anyway' date=' it's a hard choice but not an impossible one like Sophie's was... If it was me I'd hand over the sword and hope to get my revenge at a later date. That's what the GM has planned, right?[/quote']

Josh, no reading! :tsk:

I was fairly sure they wouldn't take the offer, just because that sword was taken at the sacrifice of the father of Flora's children. I would've been pleasantly surprised if they had, because then they'd stave off the Sixth Upheaval (Ryllis is effectively immortal so long as she's in their care), make a Seraphim happy with them (he's in love with Ryllis and is most upset that she's in danger, but unable to do anything about it), and get a later opportunity to get the sword back, this time with the help of the sword's true owner, along with the only sorcerer in the world more powerful than Aciarren.

My plan was that they'd use this to open negotiation, and work out a compromise, because they have another bargaining chip at their disposal. But not a single one even entertained the thought.

The consequences for being so reactionary aren't pretty. I'd expected it of one character, and half-expected it of another, but was rather surprised that the Voice of Reason stubbornly negated the possibility of delaying impending doom.

I should probably clarify one of Josh's points' date=' since it's his character's opinion that the sorcerer is Pure Evil. Some evidence has come to light, from the party bard, who (reluctantly) revealed that the sorcerer is capable of doing good deeds. He should know; he was captured by this sorcerer and treated well. Of late, Aciarren has done nothing to directly stymie their efforts, and actually helped Daris in defeating a very angry demon on the loose, then ignored Daris entirely, even after Daris tried to use the opportunity to kill him. Aciarren has been behaving differently since the sword (which was posessed by an evil spirit, and has since been exorcised) was taken from him.[/quote']

I haven't read your cut, but I really must ask then... where was Al when we last checked in on him?