Ranged Martial Arts and TK or Entangle

Kenn

There's a situation in my game where a long adventuring Hero has been cloned, and now there are younger versions of himself, with the same powers, but no where near the same level of skill.

The source hero has an extensive Multipower, including a variety of Energy Blasts, a Ranger Killing Attack, Telekinesis, and Entangles.

In looking at them, and trying to build the clones and considering a minor rebuild on the "source" hero if needed, I'm wondering if it would be better just give the clones lesser points in the multipower, or if I should also give the "source" hero lesser powers and Ranged Martial Arts to represent the improved technique? His Entangles and TK wouldn't benefit from the RMA would they?

Re: Ranged Martial Arts and TK or Entangle

TK Fu is one of my favourite power sets.

I'd buy a ranged MA for his E Blasts and RKAs and buy his TK as an MA element.

What if someone had a non ranged EB in the same MP, could he lump that into the same MA or would he need to buy a seperate HTH MA? The latter, I suppose.

It's just what I always thought. Well, ever since I asked here whether I could use a HTH MA with TK, and someone answered I could, as long as I got the TK Weapon Element for the MA, and pointed me to UMA, I think. It made sense to use hth since TK "maneuvers" are essentially hth, only done at range. Different from actual Ranged maneuvers (there's no range penalty, at least I think there isn't, you can grab, punch, etc.).

Edit:

Meh... there IS a range penalty. No clue why I thought there wasn't. I dunno, it just "feels" like you should be able to use HTH MA's with TK, but not Ranged MA's. Not sure I can explain why. =/

Good thing I read this thread. I was just building a character with a similar power and I also didnt realize there was a range penalty. It just feels wrong. I'm going to buy the LOS advantage so it works off of line of sight instead of the normal range, that will get rid of the range penalty. I think you can do that, Hero Designer is pretty good at warning me if I cant so I'll plug that in when I get come.

I'm going off of Heroes Fifth Edition Revised. I dont have any other books :)

Dean

It's just what I always thought. Well, ever since I asked here whether I could use a HTH MA with TK, and someone answered I could, as long as I got the TK Weapon Element for the MA, and pointed me to UMA, I think. It made sense to use hth since TK "maneuvers" are essentially hth, only done at range. Different from actual Ranged maneuvers (there's no range penalty, at least I think there isn't, you can grab, punch, etc.).

Edit:

Meh... there IS a range penalty. No clue why I thought there wasn't. I dunno, it just "feels" like you should be able to use HTH MA's with TK, but not Ranged MA's. Not sure I can explain why. =/

Its perfectly okay to use Hand to Hand Martial Arts with TK, since TK acts exactly like Strengh, just at range. You punch, grab, throw etc which is completely compatible with Hand to hand Martial Arts.

However some GM's have ruled that you can only use Ranged Martial Arts with TK, since TK is ranged, but that is a personal rule, not an official HERO ruling.

In my campaigns, a character can use either Ranged or Hand to Hand MA with TK. However they have to buy a Weapon Element for each if they want to use it with both. (kinda like being able to use a Knife with Hand to Hand MA or the same knife thrown with ranged MA)

-snip-

In my campaigns, a character can use either Ranged or Hand to Hand MA with TK. However they have to buy a Weapon Element for each if they want to use it with both. (kinda like being able to use a Knife with Hand to Hand MA or the same knife thrown with ranged MA)

I do believe I can jive with this one, personally.