Seeking Deckplan Sources (Semi Traveller Hero Related)

clsage

I'm looking for any suggestions on websites that have deckplans available

for military SF starships; specifically the Sulaco from Aliens and the System

Defense Boat from classic Traveller. I've run some searches but my Google-Fu

has failed me so far. I'm willing and able to generate my own deckplans but

if some already exist I'd hate to reinvent the wheel....I didn't see any listings

for SDB deckplans on the ComStar Traveller Hero webpage but I did come

across the GURPS Traveller deckplan(s) for the SDB. Before I shell out the

cash I have to ask: has anyone seen what those plans look like ? And how

adaptable to Hero are they ?

Thanks.

-Carl-

Re: Seeking Deckplan Sources (Semi Traveller Hero Related)

I've not found any deckplans in the Gurps Traveller books I've got on hand (yet).

I have found a few things while poking around online and digging into my Traveller collection (Sheesh, I have enough copies to support a game with four players + Referee without anyone else having to have the game).

The original System Defense Boat (SDB) is covered on pages 35-38 of Supplement 7: Traders and Gunboats. This one is a 400-ton design, with the included deckplans using 1.5 meters squares.

(Unless you want to use a really big ship, like a Lightning-class cruiser, such plans shouldn't be too much trouble to adapt.)

I found a Traveller write-up and deckplans for a design called the Kukri-class 800-ton SDB here.

And, with more digging, I found some deckplans for a Conestoga-class ship named the Deterrent. It is the same class ship as the Sulaco, so these plans might serve. It does not have a map scale listed, but as it isn't marked by grids of any kind, it should be easy enough to add the standard 2-meter hexs to it. These plans can be found here.

That's all I've found so far, but the above should make for a nice starting point. (If you can hunt-down a copy of the Colonial Marines Technical Manual for the Aliens RPG, that might help. I've only got the rules for that one, though.)

The original System Defense Boat (SDB) is covered on pages 35-38 of Supplement 7: Traders and Gunboats. This one is a 400-ton design, with the included deckplans using 1.5 meters squares.

Sadly, my copy of Traders and Gunboats is in storage out of state...Shrug.

And, with more digging, I found some deckplans for a Conestoga-class ship named the Deterrent. It is the same class ship as the Sulaco, so these plans might serve. It does not have a map scale listed, but as it isn't marked by grids of any kind, it should be easy enough to add the standard 2-meter hexs to it. These plans can be found here.

Excellent !!! Just the sort of thing I was looking for (and that my Google-Fu had

failed to find). Thanks ! :D

-Carl-

Well, I found one for the Dragon-class SDB over here, though the actual plans are in Campaign Cartographer 2 format. There is a small image of it on the the page, so I can at least tell that it is the 'standard' SDB.

You should be able to use the 'Print and View' utility—there's a link to it on the site linked above—if you've not got CC yourself.

Added: Okay, the link goes to the ProFantasy site, and from them you can get an an e-mail with a download link to the viewer. (I'm waiting for said e-mail to arrive, then I'll test the view with the deckplans.)

I have got the system defense boat deckplans - they published them separately and I've just catalogued them recently on LibraryThing, I'll just have a look...

Ah, it's for Megatraveller and you can find it here- http://www.librarything.com/work/3792845/details/20365869

You can buy it on Amazon here.

Guest steamteck

Some here do a search in the "maps" forum

http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_topics.asp?FID=6

Zillions here no real searching needed

http://forums.gleemax.com/leaving.php?destination=http://www.colonialchrome.co.uk/

Lots of Star Wars maps here.

http://the-holocron.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=36&func=select&id=1

Okay, getting the utility took awhile, but here is a B&W print-to-image for the Dragon-class 400-ton 'standard' SDB:

(This is in TIFF format, which gives me a nice small file size. It can easily be turned into other formats at need, though.)

Okay, getting the utility took awhile, but here is a B&W print-to-image for the Dragon-class 400-ton 'standard' SDB:

(This is in TIFF format, which gives me a nice small file size. It can easily be turned into other formats at need, though.)

Thanks !!! :thumbup:

I'd rep you but...must spread some around, etc.....

-Carl-

Having bought Traveller Hero, I can tell you that there is three deckplans in Book 2 of Traveller Hero...

• Beowulf class Free Trader
  • Gyro Cadis class Fat
  • TraderSuleiman Class Scout/courrier

All pretty "Traveller standard" ships...

As for websites out there, those two sites could help you:

http://home2.btconnect.com/hughfoster/Traveller/DeckPlans/DECKPLAN.HTM

http://x.webring.com/hub?ring=deckring

I had a hell of a time just finding "nice" plans for my traveller T20 games some years ago... :/

You might check that one out: https://www.zaon.com/

VERY nice desings... but they're really slow to produce anything :((

Hope it helped!

Although not Traveller-specific' date=' you might enjoy the Future Armada line.

Thanks for the lead... :)

I'm not specifically looking for just Traveller stuff, just trying to find some

graphics with a "sorta hard SF" feel to them. Thus the unstreamlined ship

configuration of the Sulaco, the slab sided but sorta streamlined shape of

the Dragon class SDB, etc. While visually 'pretty' I don't intend to have any

Constitution class ships (or the like) in my potential campaign. Constellation

or Defiant class maybe but......:D

-Carl-

(My apologies for the delay with this one—"work" intrudes—but there are a few tid-bits scattered throughout the pages that branch from this Wikimedia page covering manned spacecraft.)

Not so much what we could call deckplans, but there are a number of cut-away diagrams that might make decent starting points.

For fictional spacecraft that could also provide ideas there is the Space: 1999 Eagle, the Cygnus (aka Space Probe 1) from The Black Hole, and most of the Earth Force ships from Babylon 5.

(Unless you want to use a really big ship, like a Lightning-class cruiser, such plans shouldn't be too much trouble to adapt.)

sadly this probably isnt possible anymore with the Mongoose licensing fiasco.

I have a full set of the original Azhanti High Lightning deckplans. I had considered talking to Marc Miller about a license/agreement etc, and having the whole set scanned in color. talked to kinkos, 24 hours, 25.00 roughly for a set of scans on CD. at one point I had written permission from Marc to make 1 full size set of copies of the plans, but not sure if that still applies.

you can get the small scale version of the AHL plans in one of the reprint volumes, and in the MT adventure Arrival Vengeance, but whats in AV is very limiited.

If you really want all of the old CT material and dont spend a ton, I heartily reccomend the complete CT collection CD, at 35.00 its well worth it, its cut way down on the amount of books I haul to cons, now I take my laptop and 1 CD and a milk crate of assorted books. before it was a whole 17 gallon packing tub.

you can get the small scale version of the AHL plans in one of the reprint volumes, and in the MT adventure Arrival Vengeance, but whats in AV is very limiited.

If you really want all of the old CT material and dont spend a ton, I heartily reccomend the complete CT collection CD, at 35.00 its well worth it, its cut way down on the amount of books I haul to cons, now I take my laptop and 1 CD and a milk crate of assorted books. before it was a whole 17 gallon packing tub.

I hadn't been keeping up on the newer Traveller incarnations (I've still got loads of the original version to use yet), so this does surprise me a bit—not too much, though—as there is almost always a conflict of some kind eventually between companies.

I've also got the Azhanti High Lightning boxed set. Pity that isn't really available to new Traveller players (yet). Those ships are huge and the deckplans make for great running battles (and are used as such in at least one scenario).

Anyone know right off-hand if the old Judges Guild deckplans set has been reprinted anywhere yet? (I've got that one.)

• 2 weeks later...