A New Dawn. 'Post-Apocalyptic' Fantasy

Shadowsoul

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: A New Dawn. 'Post-Apocalyptic' Fantasy

Noted. Looks like we'll have to throw you into the middle of a combat, (the party have encountered a hostile gang of biker demons). It'll give your character a dramatic entrance at least.

Don't post until I introduce you as you'll have to teleported into the action.

BTW, do we have a name for him yet?

Ok Savinien. I see you've uploaded your character. I'll throw him into the battle now. You'll appear to next to Piety having been teleported in by New Dawn's Mage Corps. Shuggoth will be expecting to find the party travelling peacefully along the land above the Ash Cliffs and so might be a little surprised to find a battle instead.

• 1 month later...

Maelstrom.

It's an unusual build and one that gets you what you want relatively cheaply.

But I don't think it's gamebreaking so I'll allow it.

Although. With Physical Manifestation. Does the Str Minimum apply whether she is wielding it or not?

Thalia.

No serious objections. A few suggestions however.

Her Body and Con are low for a warrior at this power level, even a light fighter. But it's your funeral. I will say that the party has faced people in the past who were capable of damaging the heavily armoured walking corpse and people capable of hitting the DCV 14 Technomancer.

I'd rebrand Streetwise as 'Roadwise' i.e. the art of brokering deals with nomads or finding out information from travellers or people met in new settlements. Streetwise would suggest a more urban campaign and one in which you are familiar with some of the places that you are visiting. It is appropriate for a survivor from the Old World of course so you can leave it if you'd prefer flavour over utility.

We do have a character with Demonic Lore and Eld Lore, (it's written as Arcane Lore on his sheet). This isn't a problem for me and Eld Lore is again very appropriate for the character. You could replace Demonic Lore with Monster Lore or Lore of the Walking Dead if you wanted to expand the party's horizons however. (Please note that Lore of the Walking Dead will tell you nothing about Vampires).

That's it. You're pretty much ready to play. I'll open the campaign for you.

One last thing. When you post the character to the campaign proper please write up the 5 Point Social Limitation as 'Secret Disadvantage'

I've actually started in on the second draft and plan on several of the changes you mentioned - and now I can't decide if Streetwise or Roadwise is more appropriate. :P

The low CON/BODY (and REC) are a concern of mine.

For Maelstrom, the STR Min really doesn't make sense to apply if she isn't wielding it. Possibly an EGO Lim or INT Lim to control it (at the same value). . .

The updates will be on the uploaded character, so you should give a second run through (I'll detail changes to make it easier).

Just to let people know.

We are, as usual these days, understrength due to players dropping out.

Therefore there is currently one place free in the Campaign which anyone and everyone is welcome to apply for.

As usual this works on a first come, first served basis and the place is also being offered directly on Central. Applications may be made there or here.

However, I don't expect to be flooded with applications since I think we've pretty much gone through everyone who ever expressed an interest in the game by now. Therefore I have no problem with people expressing interest but having only vague ideas about what they want to play. As long as we end up with a good character I don't particularly care how long/short the character is.

I will note that I prefer characters which have been inspired by the setting or based on a recognisable character type from it rather than pre-made characters which will have to be forced to fit it. Such characters have been known to work out fine but in terms of background and GM workload it's easier to start with a 'native' concept.

Being an incurable insomniac, I find myself with a degree of free time. If you're still looking for players, I might consider applying.

First, however, I'll need to wade through all of the established background. I prefer to have a character that inhabits the world smoothly.

~Gabriel

It's always nice to have a player who wants to suit the character to the background rather than the other way around.

Unfortunately I have received interest from another potential player so I can not promise you the one free place as he did respond first, (just about), and I work on a first come-first-served basis. I'm sorry to slam the door so soon after opening it but that's just the way things worked out I guess.

Nothing is confirmed as of yet so I will certainly let you know if the other potential drops out, breaks contact, insults my mother, demands to play a Terminator or loses his place in some other way. But for the moment he has first priority.

The campaign does have quite a high rate of changeover so it is not impossible that another place will open up at some point even if you don't end up taking this one. This has happened several times before when the campaign was overbooked. Therefore it might be worth your while to reserve a place in the queue or even throw around a character concept or two.

Thanks for the interest and please do watch this space.

I understand completely.

PbP gaming is a strange beast, isn't it? I can't even count the number of games I've had implode on themselves over the years. It's rare to see a game that has managed to keep going despite so many players dropping.

Anyway: if your bad luck continues, drop me a PM.

~Gabriel

Character submission

CIRES

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

20 STR 10 13- Lift 400.0kg; 4d6 [2]

20 DEX 30 13- OCV: 7/DCV: 7

18 CON 16 13-

15 BODY 10 12-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-

11 EGO 2 11- ECV: 4

18 PRE 8 13- PRE Attack: 3 ½d6

14 COM 2 12-

8 PD 4 Total: 8 PD (0 rPD)

6 ED 2 Total: 6 ED (0 rED)

4 SPD 10 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

10 REC 4

36 END 0

35 STUN 1 Total Characteristic Cost: 107

Movement: Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 4"/8"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Talents

3 Bump Of Direction

18 Evasive

2 Trackless Stride

Skills

A New Dawn Everyman

0 1) Acting 8-

0 2) KS: Flora and Fauna (Everyman) 11-

0 3) KS: Herbalism 8-

0 4) AK (Native Area) 11-

0 5) Language: Kymrian (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

0 6) Paramedics 8-

0 7) Persuasion 8-

0 8) PS: Blacksmith (Everyman) 13-

0 9) PS: Appraise (Everyman) 11-

3 Acrobatics 13-

4 Animal Handler (Canines, Equines, Felines) 13-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Bugging 13-

3 Climbing 13-

10 +2 with Ranged Combat

3 Concealment 13-

3 Cryptography 13-

3 Deduction 13-

3 Forgery 13-

3 Gambling 13-

3 Language: Enochian (completely fluent)

3 Language: Pidgin (completely fluent)

3 Lipreading 13-

3 Lockpicking 13-

3 Mechanics 13-

3 Mimicry 13-

3 Navigation (Land, Marine) 13-

3 Riding 13-

3 Security Systems 13-

3 Shadowing 13-

16 +2 with all non-combat Skills

3 Sleight Of Hand 13-

3 Stealth 13-

3 Streetwise 13-

8 Survival (Temperate/Subtropical, Desert, Mountain, Urban) 13-

3 Tracking 13-

3 TF: Riding Animals, Carts & Carriages

3 Ventriloquism 13-

4 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons

3 Weaponsmith (Muscle-Powered HTH, Muscle-Powered Ranged) 13-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 143

Total Cost: 250

150+ Disadvantages

20 Normal Characteristic Maxima No Age Restriction

15 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders: A New Dawn (Frequently; Major)

10 Psychological Limitation: Cannot Stand Organized People (Uncommon; Strong)

5 Unluck: 1d6

10 Hunted: A New Dawn 11- (Mo Pow; Watching)

30 Vulnerability: 2 x Effect Diseases (Very Common)

10 Social Limitation: Androgynous (Frequently; Minor)

Total Disadvantage Points: 250

Background/History: Cires was born in a thieves den with live only getting worse from there. He was raised by the group when his mother "disappeared" one day. He was brought up on the ways of stealth and deception. His life changed when he was 8. A local wealthy family caught him picking pockets. Instead of calling the authorities, they decided to take the orphan in and raise him as one of their own. This was more difficult than that had thought. Breaking old habits was not only difficult, it was almost impossible. When he was 11, a friend of the family began telling old war stories and re-ignited the adventurious spirit within him. In order to help him focus, they arranged for him to become an apprentice to a blacksmith, Bart. Bart's almost obssession with organization grated Cires nerves in ways that nothing else had.

Just a year after beginning his apprenticeship, Cires fell ill with a disease sweeping the land. He nearly died from the disease. Cires recovered but he was left with a weakened immune system, an affliction that plagues him today.

After coming of age, Cires began hearing voices. The voices called him to religion. He sought out and found the temple after a lengthy pilmage to affirm his faith. His faith carries him forward today.

Personality/Motivation: Cires lives for the moment. His is confident in his abilities and remains calm even in difficult situations. He strives to remain faithful to his religion.

Quote: "I found this door open."

Powers/Tactics: Cires avoids direct confrontation. He prefers to rely on stealth and intelligence rather than brute force. Cires leaves the fighting up to the fighter types.

Campaign Use:

Appearance: His appearance confuses most due to his androgynous features. People, especially other races, often have problems determining whether he is male or female. Despite this, he has a odd beauty that people find attractive.

No serious problems with the build. You won't find a lot of use for Mechanics however and you might want to change Streetwise to the setting specific 'Roadwise' skill which is more applicable to nomadic encampments, chance meetings in the wilderness and the like.

The origin story looks to be set in the time of the Final Wars. This would unfortunately make the character over a hundred years old and since he is a vanilla human he really shouldn't be breathing at his age, let alone adventuring.

Otherwise this character is perfectly acceptable. He's less colourful than your first two options but he will encounter less social difficulties, (or roleplaying opportunities as I like to call them).

You are, of course, welcome to write up your original ideas or any other concepts that come to mind before you commit to this concept. I assume that you're happy with the build as is but have no problem with hanging on if you choose to tweak him before joining the game. If you're happy with him then we need only edit his origin story a bit before he's ready to play.

The crudest way to make him fit would simply be to say that he was caught up in a Wyld Magic storm and was eventually dumped many years in the future. But you may well be able to come up with a less heavy-handed edit.

I suppose a rogue-type who grew up in this Post-Apocalyptic world would be more of a treasure hunter than a thief. Even after decades of looting dead people still seem to have the best stuff if only you know where to look.

BTW. Once you join the campaign in character you'll gain four 'latecomer's bonus' XP to spend as you wish.

I can work with that. Instead of being a vanilla human, he's a mutant. He's mutations are just more subtle. Drop Mechanics. Since he already has Streetwise, put points into Lifesupport: 1 pt Longevity, 1 pt Sleeping, and 1 pt Eating. Then a change up in the disads:

Drop vulnerability and hunted, replace with

10 DF: mutant

10 Phys Lim: significantly different anatomy

10 Psych Lim: no regard for human life

10 Psych Lim: adventurous and funloving

then he could have been around since the wars. Originally a theif, now treasure hunter/thrillseeker. With his extending live, he has seen many he has cared for die either through old age or less natural causes. That has tainted his values. Perhaps he sees A New Dawn as a way to redeem himself.

There are a couple of things we do need to sort out before you hit combat or start discussing philosophy with anything.

What religion do you want? Only three members of the old pantheon are still alive these days. The goddess of honour and just war. The god of death, (now styled the preserver due to his attempts to save both the mortal world and his own realm of death). And the trickster god, patron of the cunning, the stealthy and the mad.

There is one new goddess who has arisen during the years following the Fall/Final Wars. She is the goddess of new life, change and chaos and is the patron of mutants. She is rumoured to be opposed to the god of death.

And what are you equipped with? You can have your pick of weapons but you should go easy on the armour. It's hard to find decent stuff these days. You can have some other stuff like rope and the like as long as you don't get too carried away.

For religion, I'd have to say the trickster god.

For equipment:

Some sort of light armor like studded leather or maybe ringmail.

For weapons, hand axe, war hammer, and short sword

Standard adventure gear; rope, backpack, disguise and forgery gear, theive's tools