A New Dawn. 'Post-Apocalyptic' Fantasy

Shadowsoul

Re: A New Dawn. 'Post-Apocalyptic' Fantasy

There is also the other new character.

Diana. Mage/Warrior with various sun based attacks and fairly extensive knowledge of evil creatures.

BTW. An Elementalist uses an Elemental Control rather than a Multipower. They tend to have a handful of very powerful abilities. You might prefer a more standard mage.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have looked at the characters on this thread and Hero Central. I play in quite a few games there and with Shadowsoul in another game set in The Last Dominion ran by the author of the book!

How exciting is that?

Of the concepts that I got from ss and my own, I'm leaning towards a vampire or Kerak (either elementalist, or mage). The Tainted, or a Doom is interesting but would likely have as much a problem with Diana as the vamp would.

What about a Tainted Artificer? Would it step on the Technomancer's toes?

How do we feel about a Kerek Mage?

I think that the Technomancer wouldn't have more than a friendly rivalry with an Artificer unless the Artificer openly tried to provoke him, (which would be a legitimate roleplaying option for that character).

Being Tainted would probably irritate the Templar, the Revenant, (an ex-Templar), and the Priest. But considering the fact that we have a Priest of Death and an Undead knight working together I suspect the party would overcome this small detail.

Kerak are not usually suited to a scholarly life but one of them could have learned to wield the raw power of magic.

Just wanted to use this thread to make a shameless plug for a new campaign on Hero Central.

It's not mine, though I have signed up to it.

The GM, AvengingArrow, has created a cool looking Urban Fantasy style Heroic Level campaign with an interesting back story.

Vampires, Demons, Zombies and monsters of all sorts are waiting for agents both mystical and mundane to righteously slay them.

Join Us.

Joiiin Us!

Really.... ? I'll have to read over the full campaign rules and contemplate an entry...

Also - Shadowsoul wasn't kidding about AvengingArrows campaign; it's pretty sweet. Others should join us.

If nothing else we need more warm bodies to shove to the front....

Oops. Sorry, but I've just checked my PMs on Hero Central and someone applied about an hour after I posted the message here. It's rather unlucky but I've always worked on a first come first served basis before and it would be unfair to change that now. Really sorry to have raised hopes unnecessarily.

If the other applicant doesn't work out would you like me to let you know Ghost Angel? The Campaign does seem to have quite a high turnover so it's usually worth putting your name in even if there isn't a space there at the moment. (Or at least everyone who put their name down so far has ended up in the Campaign somewhere down the line). Of course the current players might stick it out to the end and prove me wrong.

And yes, you should all join AvengingArrow's Campaign. The two PCs so far are both a little fragile for my liking. (Not to mention their ghost issues). And our first mission seems to be shaping up to be an interesting mystery so come along and help out. But beware of Zombies bearing snickers.

(You can tell that I wrote this in one sitting and didn't check it through. It screams out for more punctuation).

So, let me tell you the story of Yumah and Elaine.

Long long ago in a time when humans still lived together in mighty nations there were two heroes who fought side by side against a rising tide of darkness.

Sir Yumah and Lady Elaine. They were Templars of Obald, the Lightbearer and they were in love.

Men knew Yumah as The Stalwart for he never flinched from a blow. Foesmasher they named him for the strength of his sword arm and Silverheart for the purity of his honour. Demonsbane they called him and Ironskin and a host of other names that would have given honour to a whole company of heroes.

Yet think not for a moment that Lady Elaine was anything but his equal. She they called Lady Lightning for what mortal sword could strike so swiftly or with such terrible force. And she too had names too numerous to recount here; Tigress she was named and Destroyer and Saint of Swords.

A legion of demons and monsters was loose upon the land but Yumah and Elaine swore that so long as Obald's light shone down upon them not one enemy would escape their wrath and so long as their love still burned no wound would slow them and no foe could defeat them.

They spilled the blood of Vampires. They slaughtered demons by the score. They taught Werelings to fear mortal steel. And they proved that even the Restless Dead can be slain.

But this was a time of chaos and destruction when not even the greatest of powers were safe.

Not even heroes.

Not even gods.

One terrible day the land was rocked by the death screams of an immortal. For demons had assaulted the High Realm itself and though a hundred thousand of them perished in the doing of it the hellspawn slew the Sun God Obald Lightbearer.

Many among the Fourth Order of Templars went mad with grief or cast their lives away in suicidal battles so that they might join their lord in the Underworld.

Elaine was among those whom madness struck and she might have slain herself in an excess of grief if Yumah had not been there to tend her.

For Yumah could not give in to grief while his lover still drew breath.

For seven days and seven nights he sat beside his beloved and reasoned with her.

Though he spoke many words these are the most powerful and the most telling.

"I know you believe that all the light has fled this world my love. But can you not feel that our love still burns strong? Did Obald not teach us to love fiercely and without reservation? Does not the flame of our love reflect the greater fire of his presence? And thus is it not a betrayal of our fallen lord to let that fire fade into despair? It is true that we can no longer call forth the godsfire to smite our enemies, but our swords are still sharp. It is true that Obald no longer grants us protection but our armour is still strong. And it is true that we hold faith with a fallen god but our love still lives on."

What heroine could resist such words when spoken by the one whom she loved above all things?

Not Elaine for on the eighth day she rose and took up her sword once more.

Now the country of Elaine and Yumah had suffered greatly from the ravages of the dark hordes by this time. And seeing that the humans were broken by fear and despair a great lord amongst the Vampires gathered together an army of his people and laid waste to the land.

Yumah and Elaine drew together a band of survivors and fought the blood drinkers with unending zeal. The warriors that rallied to their cause were brave and skilled. But they were too few.

One by one the humans perished and mile by mile they were pushed back until they became fugitives in their own land.

At last only Yumah and Elaine remained and one day they two were sundered.

It happened on a cold morning in a dank cave high amongst the hills. Elaine rose from a fevered sleep and tried to gird herself for battle. But her armour fell from trembling fingers and her sword was too heavy to lift. An ague had crept into her bones, more subtle and more dangerous than any blade wielded by the hand of mortal or immortal.

Without the power of Obald to call upon Yumah was forced to leave his love and go down into the countryside in search of a healer.

Yet as he travelled he came upon a force of Vampires intent on reaving a human village. The fighters of the village were trying to hold the blood drinkers back while their children escaped but it was a futile and failing effort.

Fearlessly Yumah plunged into the melee and drove the Vampires back singlehandedly so that the villagers could flee.

But one man can not stand against a multitude for long. Yumah knew that he was doomed and so he called to the peasants as they fled, conjuring them to find his lady in the hilltop cave where she lay and give succour to her.

Hearing this the Vampires laughed cruelly as they overwhelmed the hero. Yumah fell into darkness and for the first time in his life he knew fear.

It was with great shock that the Foesmasher awoke to find himself alive. It was no mercy that had saved him. The Vampires had draped their defeated opponent in chains and kept him alive so that they might have their sport with him. They told Yumah that his god was lost and his lover was dead, there was nothing remaining of his mortal life.

Yumah laughed at them.

"Tremble vile ones." He said.

"Tremble for The Saint of Swords is coming to break my bonds and take your heads."

But the Vampires only mocked their prisoner and dragged him away to the castle of their lord that this prince of darkness might work his blandishments upon the fallen hero. The Vampire Lord offered eternal life and a new form that would not feel the pain of despair.

But life eternal did not seem so sweet to Yumah, for he was born of a long-lived folk, and he was not yet sunk into despair. So he despised the Vampire and spurned his offers.

But as the weary nights rolled by and Elaine did not appear the heart of Yumah grew heavy with doubt and fear.

It was through no fault of her own that the Lady Templar had not come to save her beloved for the ague that had struck her down was most virulent. The villagers whom Yumah had saved had found Elaine and told her of his capture as they tried to nurse her through her sickness. But the healing arts of these simple folk were poor and Elaine did not recover. Yet weaker even than their medicine was their courage for the lover of Yumah spent every waking moment remonstrating with the villagers and commanding them to rescue her love. All in vain for these peasants had been so broken in heart and in spirit that they dared not even seek out allies for fear of drawing the attention of the dark ones down upon them.

But one night Elaine paused in her arguments for her still keen ears had detected the tread of stealthy feet outside the cave. She cried out in warning and the villagers shrieked in fear, saying that the blood drinkers had found their last refuge and that they must flee to another country far from this place.

Elaine's patience broke. With a supreme effort she drew strength from the flame of love that Yumah had planted in her breast and heaved herself to her feet. Lady Lightning stumbled outside and found a single Vampire who was already creeping away. She hewed the blood drinker in twain with a single angry blow and stalked away to find her beloved. Her heart knew the right path and none would stand in her way.

But it was nearly too late, for Yumah's despair grew apace.

Elaine was unflinching, she clawed her way across ice and through frost and snow without complaint. But all the while Yumah was drowning in self pity.

Elaine was unwavering, she slew any who tried to stand in her way be they wolves or demons or blood drinkers. But all the while Yumah was falling victim to fear.

Elaine was pure, she never stopped believing in her lover for a moment. But Yumah was lost. He had waited too long and in his heart of hearts he believed his lover to be dead.

Sure that no sickness could have stolen the light from his beloved's eyes Yumah reasoned that his Elaine must have been murdered. And so he accepted the offers of the Vampire Lord and became like him. Yumah still despised the life of a blood drinker but he swore that he would live it only until he had avenged himself upon the one who had destroyed his reason for being.

Meanwhile Elaine had come to the top of a mighty cliff that overlooked the Vampire Lord's castle. But as she reached the summit she felt the flame within her sputter and die. For Yumah had crushed out all the love within his heart and now knew nothing but grief and despair.

Believing that only death could quench the fires of her bond with Yumah Elaine knew him to be lost. With a cry of agony so profound that it tore the very heavens asunder Elaine threw herself from the cliffs and perished on the rocks below.

It was there that Yumah found her as he rode out with a score of blood drinkers at his back, where once mortal champions had ridden. He clasped the broken body of his lady in his arms and cried bitter tears of grief while above him the sky wept for the pain of two lovers sundered.

And then Yumah turned his head away from his lover and whispered into the keening wind.

"No mortal weapon has slain my Elaine, not axe nor sword nor spear nor arrow has torn her tender flesh. Only the cruel talons of this benighted land have broken her. I cannot slay the land and so I must wait through all the ages of the world until the very earth crumbles into the void. Only then shall my vengeance be complete and my spirit freed."

So saying the fallen Templar strode away from this tragic scene and into a legend far darker than those of his mortal life.

Now no one is sure what became of Sir Yumah. But it is said that far far from here, beyond the Ash Cliffs and behind the Teregent Forest there lies a land shrouded in darkness. And within this realm of night is a castle of jet black stone. Here amidsts scores of fawning followers and hundreds of cringing slaves there resides a Vampire Lord. And though during the night he rules with an iron fist during the day he retreats into his chamber and none dares disturb him on pain of death.

But if you were brave or foolish enough to find your way to the door of that chamber and press a curious ear against it you might hear something most strange and melancholy.

The low sound of weeping broken only by a voice, rough with sorrow, whispering a single word over and over again.

"Elaine. Elaine. Elaine."

Well I suppose the idea of an Artificer who constructed magical items rather than casting spells originates with D&D, (although it is entirely possible that they cribbed it from another source). I had encountered other artefact makers in various fantasy series e.g. Mage Smiths in The Twilight Reign.

The Tainted abilities were just generic demonic powers that I thought would be useful.

Pretty much the same with the artefacts. I thought up some things which would serve the character well and that other party members wouldn't for the most part be able to duplicate. I went for a close combat theme because I wanted to differentiate the more traditional Artificer from the wild and wacky Technomancer with his guns and anti-gravity field. (Although Deeson Peere is actually quite sensible as a rule, despite one or two miscalculations that could have destroyed reality as we know it).

Some artefacts were too generic not to include, the Str increasing gauntlets and warding amulet are pretty standard for example. Others just suggested themselves to me, e.g. the Magic Eyeglass. The Thief's Ring was probably inspired by a particular use of a Hand of Glory in the television series of The Dresden Files but the rest weren't from a particular source.

Let me know what changes you'd like to make, (unless you're happy with the Artificer as he is).

I think I'm fine with him.

Do we have more information one what the 'Tainted' are all about? How do they fit into society?

What about the 'Enjoys Killing' and 'Trying to redeem himself' Disads? How do you see those playing out?

Tainted are the descendants of those who bred with Demons, (willingly or not). I'll PM you with the details on what Demons actually are since it's privileged information earned by buying Demon Lore, (which I've given you as part of your Everyman Package).

Some Tainted may be descendants of the barbarian Demon-worshipping Yonsai but they were all but exterminated and so it's not particularly likely.

Tainted are almost always distinguished by a variety of Demonic features such as tails, horns, fangs, spikes, scales, oddly coloured eyes, extra limbs, forked tongues, acidic saliva, wings and so on. Like their hellish forebears the Tainted come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

Tainted inherit the normal human range of personalities from their mortal ancestors but are pushed towards their darker impulses by their infernal heritage. A taste for violence and pain is not uncommon but some Tainted are unusually greedy, obsessive or just plain megolamaniacal. Other Tainted simply seem to lack a moral compass or are shorn of any emotion whatsoever.

In more settled times those with knowledge of such things would probably have persecuted or destroyed Tainted as abominations. The servants of most of the gods would have attacked them out of hand although some might have been more compassionate.

But now civilisation is little more than a memory and survival is the only creed of the struggling masses. Tainted are treated much like 'normal' Mutants, accepted in some places and distrusted or mistreated in others. (In fact there aren't all that many people left who can distinguish between the two). However, Tainted more often than not end up as villains, bandits or the soldiers of tyrants who don't care to restrain their violent impulses. In this fallen world Tainted often thrive.

That is a generalisation however. Tainted possess free will and can choose to ignore their darker desires or fight to redeem themselves of past crimes. Ultimately whether good or evil Tainted tend to have extreme personalities.

New Dawn's policy is clear. Anyone can be redeemed. Everyone deserves a second chance. But they will be watching you, (or rather the collar they've fitted you with will be monitoring your moral alignment).

As for your individual Psy Lims. First I would urge you to change them if there are any other quirks or flaws you'd prefer to roleplay.

Enjoys Killing is an effect of his Demonic heritage. He is drawn to violence, he may laugh joyously as he slaughters his foes, he will go out of his way to kill enemies wherever possible. This is not an overwhelming impulse however and can be fought down if necessary.

Driven To Defy His Darker Instincts is the counterbalance to this murderous impulse and represents the conflict between his two natures. He may well overcompensate for his savagery by being slow to begin a fight or demanding surrender with each swing. He may be overcome by remorse after killing an opponent. He may simply go out of his way to be kind and considerate to others. A good quote to hold in mind is - 'Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry'.

You can play these Psy Lims how you like so long as it is clear that they are there.