Worst gaming experience

Dominique

Originally posted by Watchman-BN

-Then I tried a game, with a group I'd met on line. It was me (the newb), the Wacked Out Vet, the Vampire Wannabe Guy, and the Aggressive Gay GM who really wanted me to stay around. The GM developed a "realistic" early Renaissance game where I could have a cleric, but not a mace or any cleric-type spells. The only characters that weren't "realistic-ized" out of usefulness were rogues. The Vet and the Vamp, of course, both created min-maxed rogues. Worse, their only idea of roleplaying was to talk in Cockney accents the whole evening, while their min-maxed characters slaughtered every foe (with guns, no less), rolling their eyes at the uselessness of the Cleric-who-wasn't-a-Cleric. I lasted one night, although I got several emails and calls from the GM wanting me back.

Great stories, I just snipped the one above to put my question into context - so how in the world did the GM buy off on those characters using guns when he was supposed to run a semi-/mostly-realistic Renaissance game?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so how in the world did the GM buy off on those characters using guns when he was supposed to run a semi-/mostly-realistic Renaissance game?

I think they were flintlocks. And, of course, they each had two of them, primed and loaded, and could fight with both hands. And they had enough skill that they were deadly with their only two shots, so few enemies got close enough for HTH.

Oh, and I didn't paint the rest of the scene: The Vet wore fatigues and sat the whole night on the back of the couch, leaning against the wall. When he wasn't rolling dice, he was fondling a large combat knife. The Vamp sat on the floor in the corner, and would only look at you over his arm, or over a book, never directly.

Then to see them break into "roleplay mode" calling everyone "Guvnuh" and excaliming "Crickey!"... I think that's when I developed this nervous tick....

Originally posted by Watchman-BN

I think they were flintlocks. And, of course, they each had two of them, primed and loaded, and could fight with both hands. And they had enough skill that they were deadly with their only two shots, so few enemies got close enough for HTH.

Oh, and I didn't paint the rest of the scene: The Vet wore fatigues and sat the whole night on the back of the couch, leaning against the wall. When he wasn't rolling dice, he was fondling a large combat knife. The Vamp sat on the floor in the corner, and would only look at you over his arm, or over a book, never directly.

Then to see them break into "roleplay mode" calling everyone "Guvnuh" and excaliming "Crickey!"... I think that's when I developed this nervous tick....

Wow, all the groups I've been in have been so boring in comparison...thankfully so! Have you heard Arcady's horror stories of groups? Now there's some real bizarre stuff, including a crack user who showed up to a game and did a "show and tell" with the crack pipe - among even more severe craziness. It's somewhere over on the M&M boards.

Well, not worst for me, but still an interesting episode.

High level D&D, GM is running an 'Escape from the 9 Hells' scenario.

New guy to the group is playing a Ranger. For some reason he's away from the group, and runs into Tiamat, the Dragon goddess and lord of the 1st plane of Hell. She tells him she needs an agent to retrieve some gems and deliver them farther down, and someone in the party will be Geased to do it, or she'll just kill us all.

He declines, and instead points out the party Sorcerer (currently wearing an artifact treasure that makes him Chaotic Evil). Tiamat repeats the offer, telepathically, and the sorcerer accepts.

We eventually manage to get the gems... and the Ranger suddenly tries to take them away from the sorcerer. The geased, CE, and rather annoyed sorcerer promptly attacks the Ranger, who is quickly defeated.

The Ranger's player complained that he was attacked for no reason, and wonders why no one else helped him keep the gems... despite the fact that his character KNEW the sorcerer was geased (the rest of us knew too, but our characters only knew the mission, not the geas) and all the rest of us had agreed ahead of time that doing the mission would be the smart thing to do. No one else agreed with his reasoning, and I don't think he came back again after that...

Was the ref a guy named Kelly, and did he run a dungeon complex called Hell Mountain? one level a flooded city?

when Our 1st level party defeated the ETTIN that wandered into our camp one night, he said "I meant for that to kill someone. Lets see who it falls on."

Great dungeon, but...

Originally posted by Captain Xenon

the worst? well...

back in college, there was a group who played AD&D. these guys made the knights of the dinner table (and the black hand) look good by comparison. One of them always played a drow assasin. another, had a CN mage who always wandered off alone, the rest of the party unconsious bleeding and polymorphed, to fight what just kicked our collective butts.

one game of rolemaster, it went really bad. first, the drow (CG alignment) kills my character with a level 50 poison. his only explanation? i wasnt 'doing enough'. so then we go on with the quest, and meet a dragon- who will let us take all the treasure, minus a couple items. one guy has his character (some kind of dancer), attack the dragon. big fight- the drow sits there and defends, my char gets thretened at swordpoint by another party member, and the fight goes poorly.

then the dragon gives us a chance to surrender. the wolverine-lemming, of course, refuses, so we get hit with a powerfulll spell and all die except the drow- and my new character who had enough healing magic to survive. we lose all our gear, and the campaign ends mid-qeust. and the guy who started it? left mid fight and didnt come back.

same group, the drow would often have his character commit suicide around 1 or 2am, when he got bored. the gm- well, he was just as bad. i had a lightning bolt BOUNCE off of a t-rex in AD&D. i eventualy failed my saving throw- he made me roll about 20 of them, one for each time it bounced between me and the dinosaur.

the last game i played with that group, and the reason i quit playing D&D for several years- a group of 10 players, 1 evil, i was good, and the rest were chaotic neutral. went downhill from there.

whats more- the drow player? out of character, he made death threats to me, that he would one day be a hit man, and kill me first. yes, really. not a nice guy.