3D Star mapping software

Crypt

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 3D Star mapping software

Haven't programmed in 10 years :P probably wouldn't remember where to start. But supposing I did want to start again and programming an app to control windows interface and how it works.

Think we are flying off topic here. but since you guys brought it up.

Haven't programmed in 10 years :P probably wouldn't remember where to start. But supposing I did want to start again and programming an app to control windows interface and how it works.

Well, I like using Python because I can program faster in Python than in any other language.

For windows interface, I prefer the open source version of the TrollTech Qt library. Which has a Python version called PyQt.

Qt has the advantage of being cross platform: Windows, Macintosh, Linux. And so is Python.

A lot of things' date=' mainly the function naming (non)convention , the automatic [i']type[/i] conversion, the lack of explicit type definition in variable declaration, the fact you can use a not yet initialized variable, the variables scope*, etc.

It's extremely dangerous and not strict enough for professional and/or big projects.

* for instance =

if(true){$toto=1;}

echo($toto);

It actually displays '1' whereas $toto have not been declared nor initialized outside (and before) the 'if.'

That's horrible.

Well, it is a webpage scripting language as opposed to being a true programming (i.e., stand alone) language. Which to me indicates that it's intended "audience" is not one of big multi-developer projects. Doesn't mean that it can't be used that way, however.

I don't know of any language that enforces a spacific naming convention for functions. But if you know of one, please educate me. :)

There is the function: bool settype ( mixed &$var , string $type ) that converts $var to a specific type of variable. Personally, I don't feel that PHP beign a weak typed language is a detriment -- but then, I've always written everything I used and never had to work on someone else's code.

While PHP doesn't have as much control over variable scope as C/C++, at least variables have local scope within functions. However, variables in "main" are not Global and not normally accessible inside functions either -- unless you use the global keyword inside the function.

While I fully agree that your example using $toto would be very bad coding, not requiring a variable to be declared prior to use is a benefit to a scripting (as opposed to a programming) language. I would think that requiring explicit declaration would all but require switching to strongly typed as well, and that is a bit rigid for a script IMO.

$toto="";

if(true){$toto="Not In Kansas Anymore";}

echo($toto);

;)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I find your thoughts interesting and wish to subscribe to your newsletter. :)

Seriously, though, this is very nice! Exactly the kind of thing I visit Nyrath's homepage for!

Still looking for the best possible Traveller-style app, though; while I use the Galactic program, but it's a beast to enter all the data I want for my Traveller Universe. Can you set different background grids in your app?

• 3 weeks later...