The Agnstigator

Dr Archeville

Fluff Text: "This bizarre ray-gun fires a beam of specifically modulated sonic waves that sound not unlike a Kurt Cobain/Nirvana riff. Targets struck are filled with feelings of anxiety, apprehension, and insecurity. Most targets tend to fall into a deep depression and give up, listless and apathetic, mired in feelings of existential loss. Some targets show the opposite effect, though, becoming filled with a nihilistic rage, attacking anyone and anything near them."

Crunchy Bits: If not for that last sentence, this would easily be Mind Control Xd6 (Only to Alter/Inflict One Emotional State [sadness; -1], Subject to Range Modifier [-1/4]). That last sentence is what's getting me, though.

How can I represent the uncontrolled/unexpected 'flipping' to Mind Control (Anger)?

EDIT: Title should be The Angstigator.

Re: The Agnstigator

If the anger is an unintend and undesirable effect (seems likely based on your discription), I would suggest a combination of Activation (14 or less sounds about right) and Side Effects (makes target go Berserk instead). And since this is a SE Limitation, the Angst Ray's user will likely be first thing the Berserk victim attacks. :eg:

That last sentence is what's getting me, though.

How can I represent the uncontrolled/unexpected 'flipping' to Mind Control (Anger)?

I'd think you just have to be a little more careful in describing the 'one emotional state' and how it could result in either total apathy or nihilistic rage. As long as you have no control over which, it doesn't make the power any better.

Set effect: changed emotional state. Then add an additional limtiation to represent the uncontrolled nature of the change, the level of the additional limtiation being deternmined by the likelihood fo the 'wrong' change occurring. After all a power that does not work reliably is less useful than one that does.

Although expensive' date=' I'll take a shot at it and say it'd work as 12d6 Mind Control, Variable Special Effects (+1/4) - varying emotions control[/quote']

I see the power as described as more limiting tan being able to reliably induce a single emotion, so I wouldn't require an advantage, personally.

I might allow you to build this as a 'straight' single emotion control but simply include the side effect limitation as it doesn't always work as envisaged.