Invisible damage?

TaxiMan

OK, so a character can get hit with STUN and BODY damage that get through defenses, but there are no visible indications the character is hurt. The character knows there is damage, but it doesn't show.

This is one of those rare times where I'm not sure how to build this. Invisible attacks, no problem. But how do you make damage invisible?

Re: Invisible damage?

Is the idea an attack that doesn't leave the victim looking damaged, or a character who doesn't apear to take damage until he finally collapses?

Ghost-angel anwered the former. The latter could be seen as the way it actually works (stats aren't 'visible' by default), but the majority of GMs like to describe 'how hurt' a character looks. Taking a hit and not showing it could just be an interaction skill - it's just a non-verbal lie.

Opal, it's the latter. The players usually know how much they hurt opponents, but once in a while it might be interesting to have them face someone who seems really tough - until they are dead or critical.

It could just be GM fiat, but I'm envisioning a power like "appears to be completely healthy". If it's statted and has a story (a new drug on the street, etc.), the players will respect it and work with it. If it's a GM fiat, I'm afraid they'll revolt with "Of course my superhero can tell how hurt someone is! You're just screwing with my character!".

That's icky.

Ah. Try putting IPE on the targets Body and rule that means they can't tell how "hurt" someone is.

Is what I would do.

Very clever! But based on TaxiMan's description you might want to put it on STUN as well. Lots of GMs interpret STUN as subsuming bruises, scratches, and other visible scuffing that's too minor to actually count as BODY loss.

Very clever! But based on TaxiMan's description you might want to put it on STUN as well. Lots of GMs interpret STUN as subsuming bruises' date=' scratches, and other visible scuffing that's too minor to actually count as BODY loss.[/quote']

Good Call. IPE on STUN and BODY.

and heck, toss in END and they won't look tired either! :)