Autofire Punch Power?

Ragdoll

Re: Autofire Punch Power?

If I buy a Hand to Hand Attack at 6 Dice and add a 3 shot autofire to it' date=' will it work in tandem with my 10 STR score, or is the 10 STR not included when autofire is used?[/quote']

The STR:10 turns into STR:8, because STR:8 with the +1/4 advantage is 10 active points. What you get is 7 1/2 d6 per shot at a whopping cost of 12 END.

Alternately, you can make a compound power that consists of both the HA Attack with the advantages you want and a Naked Advantage on your STR, but then adjustment powers like Aid get confusinger.

Why not by PSLs vs. Sweep penalties and use that?

Whilst this is mechanicly more efficient, assuming ocv and dcv are equal, there are two possible points against:

1: you have to roll three times, which slows down combat

2: your GM might not allow PSLs vs the DCV penalty of sweep(It's an optional rule)

You don't (normally) get to apply advantages you purchase on powers to your normal characteristics. The way around that, though is to figure out what it would cost to have the Autofire advantage on your character's base Strength and add that cost to the cost of your power (like building a Naked Advantage). For example:

10 STR (10 AP) with Autofire 3 (+1/4) = 12.5 AP

Subtract the cost of the STR (you already paid for that, even if it's just the base 10 everyone gets) 12.5 - 10 = 2.5 (2 or 3 depending on how you round it)

Add the 2 or 3 points to the cost of the Autofire power you built and you now get to apply your base STR to the Attack.

If I buy a Hand to Hand Attack at 6 Dice and add a 3 shot autofire to it' date=' will it work in tandem with my 10 STR score, or is the 10 STR not included when autofire is used?[/quote']

Yes it will work.

It will combine into a 8d6 3-shot Autofire that costs a total of 15 END per use (12 for the HA plus 3 more for the STR).

25 Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4) (37 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) - END=4

You could combine this HA with up to 30 STR and get to apply the AF to the full attack (12d6 AF-3, total END cost = 21)

The STR:10 turns into STR:8, because STR:8 with the +1/4 advantage is 10 active points. What you get is 7 1/2 d6 per shot at a whopping cost of 12 END.

Alternately, you can make a compound power that consists of both the HA Attack with the advantages you want and a Naked Advantage on your STR, but then adjustment powers like Aid get confusinger.

STR does NOT get prorated when added to HA's the same way it does for HKA's.

The relevant rules are Hero System 5th Edition, Revised ■ Chapter Two

pages 407-409

I would just buy an auto-fire punch using EB w/ No Range. For example, if you have a STR 15 (3d6 Damage), and say you want to be able to do 8d6 damage total ... just buy an 8d6 Auto-Fire EBlast, No Range (33 pts).

I would just buy an auto-fire punch using EB w/ No Range. For example' date=' if you have a STR 15 (3d6 Damage), and say you want to be able to do 8d6 damage total ... just buy an 8d6 Auto-Fire EBlast, No Range (33 pts).[/quote']

Best approach, really. Solves the problem, and avoids a multitude of sins.

Guest Major Tom

I'm not sure if I'm remembering the source correctly, but I think that there's a

power in the UNTIL Superpowers Database, Volume II called Stand

There While I Hit You which sounds like what you're looking for.

Major Tom :cool:

Best approach' date=' really. Solves the problem, and avoids a multitude of sins.[/quote']

I have to disagree.

An EB with No Range is NOT the same as a HA+STR.

The EB can still be used to escape from an entangle.

The HA cannot.

STR alone would have to be used to get free of an Entangle or Grab.

Hence its slightly cheaper cost (25 vs. 33).

I have to disagree.

An EB with No Range is NOT the same as a HA+STR.

The EB can still be used to escape from an entangle.

The HA cannot.

STR alone would have to be used to get free of an Entangle or Grab.

Hence its slightly cheaper cost (25 vs. 33).

We could also put Not vs. Entangles or Restrainable or some such on there as well to emulate that. Just tossing it out there as an option is all :)

Whilst this is mechanicly more efficient, assuming ocv and dcv are equal, there are two possible points against:

1: you have to roll three times, which slows down combat

2: your GM might not allow PSLs vs the DCV penalty of sweep(It's an optional rule)

For me it wasn't an issue of cost, but rather, "I'm lazy." I like to leverage extant rules before resorting to power construction. I'm not overly concerned about the rolls, but you could house-rule sweep to work like autofire, with the number of hits being dependent on MoS if that's a problem. The second point is a good one, but I allow PSLs as a matter of course, so I hadn't thought about it. It is, of course, dependent on your gamemaster's discretion.