Entombment Spell with no air.

Ragdoll

I have a character that designed an 'earth' entombment spell. He built it this way by taking a page from FRED.

Entombment Spell - 21 points

Entangle 2d, def 3, blocks sight; AE: Hex (+1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Magick Skill Roll Required (-1/2), Only Effects Ground Targets (-1/2), OAF: A common stone with the spells words etched into it, held in the flat of the users palm. (-1)

Change Environment 1" 'Airless Environment'; 0 END, Persistent (+1), Uncontrolled; 'Ended by Breaking the Entangle' (+1/2), Linked to Entangle (-1/2)

Will this 'work' the way it's built? Eventually causing suffocation and death if not broken out of?

Re: Entombment Spell with no air.

Actually' date=' that is a legal application for CE, but it's a pretty big stop sign use for the power...[/quote']

Is it? Ok, I stand corrected...but I probably wouldn't allow it ;)

FWIW, i think a Force Wall probably fits this better than an Entangle myself, but that's just personal choice.

Is it? Ok, I stand corrected...but I probably wouldn't allow it ;)

I didn't know that either and I don't think I'd allow it. OTOH, simulating drowning/suffocation can be tricky in Hero.

SFX wise it's odd that the target can't breathe but their senses are unimpeded by the entombment.

I didn't know that either and I don't think I'd allow it. OTOH, simulating drowning/suffocation can be tricky in Hero.

SFX wise it's odd that the target can't breathe but their senses are unimpeded by the entombment.

Just buried up to the nose in the dirt, eyes and ears still exposed?

Just buried up to the nose in the dirt' date=' eyes and ears still exposed?[/quote']

I guess that could work, still seems bit odd (seems like they're ears would be mostly blocked still if its so tight they can't even move their heads enough to catch a breath) and they can still smell though they can't any air (minor point I know).

Another alternative is that the entrapment could be so tight the victim can't draw a breath but aren't fully entombed/.

See USPD p16 "Drowning In Air".

When Steve stated up the Complex Suffocation power in UEP, it ended up costing somewhere in the ballpark of 300 points. I think that was one of the reasons he stated he was considering adding a Suffocation style power to 6th edition.

See USPD p16 "Drowning In Air".

When Steve stated up the Complex Suffocation power in UEP, it ended up costing somewhere in the ballpark of 300 points. I think that was one of the reasons he stated he was considering adding a Suffocation style power to 6th edition.

Don't ask me, ask Steve Long that was his answer not mine. I could ask him how that answer reflects on the "drowning in air" power write up.

I'd go with an Entangle ( Blocks Senses )' date=' with a linked EB 2d6 ( NND, Does Body, 0 END, Continuous; Only does Body after target reaches unconsciousness, Only lasts until the Entangle is escaped ).[/quote']

Simple and seems to cover it. Very Nice.

It is odd. But only by virtue of the OP forgetting to add that into the Entangle power. =) It was meant to block at the very 'least' Sight.

I think that was one of the reasons he stated he was considering adding a Suffocation style power to 6th edition.
A 'very' smart move. It should not 'be' this difficult to simulate a rather common hazzard. What I don't quite get is there 'are' clear rules already in place that deal with not being able to breath, and the effects that come with that.

Change Environment already has combat effects costs. Granted they're minor, but the precedent is there, isn't it? It isn't even an 'effect' that would do automatic damage either. It's not like defining Change Env to say 'Create' a Hex of Chlorine gas. That's something one would expect to begin to damage a target immediately.

The power isn't seeking to automatically begin to effect the character, but simply to use the Holding Breath and Drowning Rule on page 285. The target is allowed no recoveries and can lower their SPD to 2, and lose one END per phase, until END is gone, then STUN until it's gone, then BOD until dead. That's 'faaaaaar' slower, then say an actual power that 'kind' of simulates a concrete environmental rule already in place.

How is it any different then trussing some poor guy up in a straight jacket, and tossing him in bank vault, or off a dock into water, and waiting for him to suffocate or drown? =?