How would you write up the Colt from "Supernatural"?

1EyedJack

• 2 weeks later...

Re: How would you write up the Colt from "Supernatural"?

The Colt

GM Fiat - Instantly Kills any creature that is shot with it. Six charges that recover only under extremely limited circumstances. OAF, Independent, Real Weapon, Str Min. One Handed Weapon.

What? :D

The Colt

GM Fiat - Instantly Kills any creature that is shot with it. Six charges that recover only under extremely limited circumstances. OAF, Independent, Real Weapon, Str Min. One Handed Weapon.

What? :D

Since it was clearly a Plot device (in the truest sense of the word) in seasons one and two this is exactly how I would have done it except with no recovery on the charges obviously.

In season three it's a bit tricky since it looks like the players decided they wanted to keep using it and so pooled their points to pay for it (The independent limitation is earning its keep). I would probably say it's an NND Killing Attack, Does Body, and using Standard Effect. The NND Defense is a bit tricky since we don't know everything about the Colt but maybe something about having a pure/heavenly soul (Hey, if the Grimoire can make being a God a defence this isn't completely insane)

I was going to use the Absolute Effects rule from Fantasy HERO and write it up as an No Normal Defense, Ranged Killing Attack that Does Body. The problem with that is you have to define some reasonably common defense that will stop the NND part of the attack. Since it seems like a binary situation (Hit=Dead (no save, no pass go, no collect $200), Miss=Not Dead) I could not figure out how to justify it.

Now, you could just design it as a massive, penetrating RKA. It does tend to get silly at that point though.

Hence the GM Plot Device with charges. Nice and easy.

I was thinking along one of the following for a conversion ...

The Colt, all slots OAF Expendable (Very Difficult to obtain new Focus; -1 1/2)

11.....Bullseye: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6+1; OAF Expendable (Very Difficult to obtain new Focus; -1 1/2), 6 Charges (-3/4) [6]

41.....Banishing Lead: Dispel Extra Dimensional Movement 25d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OAF Expendable (Very Difficult to obtain new Focus; -1 1/2), Linked (Bullseye; -1/4) 0

11.....Bullseye: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6+1; OAF Expendable (Very Difficult to obtain new Focus; -1 1/2), 6 Charges (-3/4) [6]

41.....Back to the Pit: Major Transform 5d6 (Possessed into Not Possessed), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OAF Expendable (Very Difficult to obtain new Focus; -1 1/2), Linked (Bullseye; -1/4) 0

24.....That's Gotta Hurt!: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OAF Expendable (Very Difficult to obtain new Focus; -1 1/2), Only vs. Supernatural (-1), Linked (Bullseye; -1/4) 0

Good write-ups. My only quibbles are that it was never specified that the targets had to be supernatural in origin. I believe that it was originally stated that it could kill "anything" it hit with one shot. Also, I think the Focus would not be expendable. The charges for it would be non-recoverable or recovers only in extremely limited circumstances. I mean, you could probably even load "standard" rounds for it and turn it into a "normal" gun.

Minor quibbles to be sure. The write-ups are good ones and would probably serve the purpose of modeling the Colt just fine.

• 4 weeks later...

I took 'can kill anything' as being no supernatural defenses work against it and things can't come back after being killed by it, not that you can shoot a vampire in the toe with it and that's good enough. Since it works on demons, and presumably on ghosts, you can argue it operates on a spiritual level, destroying whatever vital, necrotic, or demonic force animates the critter. A normal RKA plus a big NND (not vs. mundane objects) with Affects Desolid and Does Body with a linked Resurrection Dispel would probably do a good job of simulating the Colt. A critter or person could use cover or wear tough, bulky mundane armor to withstand it. Don't forget Sam and Dean are REALLY good shots, they don't need supernatural help to hit center of mass.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, in the show with the witch demon (Malleus Maleficarum, IIRC), we see that Missile Deflection works against the Colt, so a Force Wall probably would as well. After all, most Force Walls aren't living things. Same for most FF. I don't know about Armor, PD/ED...presumably the same; I don't think the Colt could kill a tank (unless it was alive, like the living ships of B5/Atlantis/Sliders.)

So the defense is not vs. things that are "living" in the loosest sense of the word. Or against Force Walls if you want to get more specific.