The psychologically balanced (Silver Age) Superteam

Powerhouse

Hey everyone, it's Powerhouse again! I hope that everyone is having fun.

As some of you may remember, I LOVE creating characters in general and superteams in particular. In the world I've been creating over the years I have a team each from the Golden Age, Silver Age, and Bronze age as well as a couple from the Modern Age.

I'm trying to finish the re-write the Silver Age team but taking them into the Bronze age as well to see how they mature and become complex. Also, it's fun to have my own homages to the characters I love so much.

Anyway, I remember that Hero games had at one point an article in one of their AC's called The Psychologically Balanced team. Any idea if it or something else was ever re-printed? I'd LOVE to read it!

Thanks everyone.

Re: The psychologically blanced (Silver Age) Superteam

The team is currently called the Sentinels of Justice but I'm thinking of making it the Crusaders or Crusaders of Justice- it just needs to sound reall Silver Age.

Right now there are seven founders and the new kid on the block. All are intended to be homages to various Avengers and Justice Leaguers. I want them to be interesting but not overly complex at this point or least they have room to mature and deepen as time goes on and the times move on to the Bronze Age:

1. Doctor Atomic aka the Nuclear Wonder and Plotonium Protector! An atomic powered Superman all around but a little more human and with a deep scientific curiousity. He loves to out think his opponents (kinda like how the Silver Age Superman always had to be so clever since he was often tossed into a story where a super-powered punch wasn't enough to save the day). At the beginning he might not be quite confident since he's new to the hero business but that would probably be glossed over.

2. Nighthunter aka the Dark Archer aka the Nightmare of Crime! He's a Batman homage armed with a bow. He does have a CvK but without a doubt the darkest of the Sentinels- an early preview of the Bronze Age. He doesn't give criminals a fair chance and get be tough on his fellow crime fighters who he thinks could do so much more. He does have a strong connection with the cops though.

3. Athena aka the Goddess of Battle and Wisdom (ok, I need to work on that one too)! An avatar of the Greek goddess, she is skilled in combat and can see/know that which others can not. Compassionate and wise, she is often a voice of reason among the others. Her alter ego is a young girl who, in a Captain Marvel twist, transforms into this super powered form. The girl also has problems ala Spiderman with fitting in and bullies.

4. Sunturion aka the Solar Sentinel aka the Sun Warrior! A Green Lantern clone who is overconfident and brave to the point of recklessness. Also quite the womanizer and loves to taunt his opponents. He isn't really that different from Hal right now although you find out later in the Bronze age some dark secrets. I'll be honest, he's one of the least satisfying for me.

5. Glamour Girl: still working on her backstory which is currently problematic but right now she's upper crust from Britain who uses illusions. A homage to Scarlet Witch and Zatanna. She's vain, flighty, and a bit too focused on her looks (also, she has issues and is competitive with the equally beautiful Athena) but effective when she choses to be. Not the finest example of a superheroine perhaps but this is the Silver Age and having two strong females on the team would probably be too much to ask for.

6. Hornet: based on Spiderman, Atom, and Henry Pym- a young college professor (or advanced student) with a background in boxing. An experimental serum gave him super strength, agility, a bio sting, and the ability to cling to surfaces. He can also shrink down and fly (at the cost of some strength and bio blast). Psychologically he's a true blue hero but also down to earth and likeable despite his intelligence. He tosses in the ocassional joke and pun but not to the extent of Sunturion.

I might nerdy him up a bit but Doctor Atomic is a bit of a closet nerd and I like the idea of Hornet being a "cool" scientific hero as well as big brother to Blue Bolt.

7. The Stranger: alien metamorph and vanguard of an invading army who decided that humanity was too noble a race to eradicate. He is a being of deep honor but not an outcast from his own people and a stranger among a strange people. He hides his pain behind a stoic mask. Based on Martian Manhunter and Vision.

8. Blue Bolt: the new kid on the block and he has a problematic origin. While the speedster aspect is obviously Flash/Quicksilver, I'm thinking of making his personality akin to a young Firestorm and emphasize his newbie status. He probably has to quit athletic which he loves in fear of using his powers accidently.

So that's the first eight and I think I have a reasonable cross section of personality/templates between the knight (Doctor Atomic), vigilante (Night Hunter), wise goddess (Athena), brash and cocky (Sunturion/Glamour), scientist (Hornet), new kid (Blue Bolt), and the outsider (Stranger).

Anything you think I'm missing at the moment? Thanks!

Anyway, I remember that Hero games had at one point an article in one of their AC's called The Psychologically Balanced team. Any idea if it or something else was ever re-printed? I'd LOVE to read it!

Thanks everyone.

It was in Adventurers Club #15 (Winter 1990), written by David Rogers, The Mentally-Balanced Superteam.

It contained the Grim Leader (e.g. Cyclops), the Sociopath (Wolverine), the Swashbuckler (Nightcrawler), the Loaded Gun (Phoenix), the Fanatic (Storm), the Strong-Jawed Hero (Colossus), the Love Interest (Phoenix) and the Innocent (Storm).

The thing is, the Mentally Balanced Super-Team article was all about teams like the X-Men, New Teen Titans, and Fantastic Four - i.e. teams that the adventuring together was usually how they adventured. It didn't really cover teams like the Justice League or the Avengers which are groups of solo heroes working, or trying to work, together.

The Crusaders of Justice here sound more like the latter kind of team.

It was in Adventurers Club #15 (Winter 1990)' date=' written by David Rogers, [i']The Mentally-Balanced Superteam[/i].

It contained the Grim Leader (e.g. Cyclops), the Sociopath (Wolverine), the Swashbuckler (Nightcrawler), the Loaded Gun (Phoenix), the Fanatic (Storm), the Strong-Jawed Hero (Colossus), the Love Interest (Phoenix) and the Innocent (Storm).

Using the X-Men as an example of a mentally balanced superteam? :eek:

Well, at least they're not Alpha Flight....

Using the X-Men as an example of a mentally balanced superteam? :eek:

The team is balanced, not the individuals. They have one of each type of mentality. ;)

The team is balanced' date=' not the individuals. They have one of each type of mentality. ;)[/quote']

Actually, that kind of is the difference between the X-Titans-4 team and the JLAvengers teams. In the XT4 team, each member fits a kind of role that adds to the over all team dynamic. In the JL/Aveng teams the individuals do tend to be more balanced. In a group setting, they may slide towards one of the types of roles but usually not quite as much so.

Personally, I think JL/Aveng types are better at putting their ego in check.

Re: The psychologically balanced (Silver Age) Superteam

Yeah, Kitty would have been a better choice than Ororo for The Innocent. And given that Colossus is one of my favorite characters ever, she'd have been a great choice in the Love Interest slot, too.