Solanum Zombie (1st Draft)

Susano

I just finished World War Z, so I grabbed my Zombie Survival Guide and decided to see if I could build out a Max Brooks zombie. Suggestions welcome.

Solanum Zombie

[b]Val	CHA	Cost	Roll	Notes[/b]
10	STR	0	11-	Lift 100 kg; 2d6 HTH Damage [0]
8	DEX	-6	11-	OCV:  3/DCV:  3
0	CON	-20	9-
8	BODY	-4	11-
3	INT	-7	10-	PER Roll 10-/14-
0	EGO	0	9-	ECV:  0
15	PRE	5	12-	PRE Attack:  3d6
4	COM	-3	10-

2/6	PD	3		Total:  2/6 PD (2/6 rPD)
2	ED	6		Total:  2 ED (2 rED)
2	SPD	2		Phases:  6, 12
0	REC	-4
0	END	0
0	STUN	0		[b]Total Characteristics Cost:  -28

Movement:[/b]	Running:	2"
	Leaping:	0"
	Swimming:	0"

[b]Cost	Powers & Skills[/b]
45	Feels No Pain:  Automaton (Takes No STUN (loses abilities when takes 
BODY))
15	Heart No Longer Beats:  Does Not Bleed
10	Only Shots To The Head Count:  No Hit Locations
5	Tireless:  Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) for up to 10 Active Points 
of STR
4	Already Dead:  +2 PD; Only Versus Slashing Or Piercing Attacks (-1/2)
3	Already Dead:  +2 PD; Only Versus Piercing Attacks (-1)
10	Bite:  HKA 1/2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); No STR 
Bonus (-1/2)
201	Infectious Bite:  Drain CON 7d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), 
NND (defense is Life Support [immunity]; +1), Trigger (Activating the 
Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, 
immediately after it activates; triggered when zombie bites 
victim; +1), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 
Day; +1 1/2), affects DEX, CON, BODY, INT, STUN, BODY 
simultaneously (+2); Gradual Effect (1 Day; roughly 1d6/3 hours; 
-1 3/4), Only When Bite Or Similar Attack Does BODY (-1/2) plus 
Major Transform 7d6 (human into Solanum infected zombie, heals 
back in manner specified by the GM), Reduced Endurance (0 END;
+1/2), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, 
Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; when 
zombie bites victim; +1); Gradual Effect (1 Day; roughly 1d6/3 hours;
-1 3/4), All Or Nothing (-1/2), Limited Target (humans; -1/2), No 
Range (-1/2), Only When Bite Or Similar Attack Does BODY (-1/2), 
Linked (Drain; -1/2)
Notes:  The BODY Drain must kill the victim before the Transform can 
fully take effect. Once the victim dies, the Transform will cause the 
victim to rise as a zombie in about 2-3 hours.
11	Hunting Moan:  Drain PRE 1 point, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced 
Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Area 
Of Effect (16" Radius; +2); Incantations (Requires Incantations 
throughout; must moan; -1/2)
12	Already Dead:  Damage Resistance (6 PD/2 ED)
90	Unaffected By Fire And Electricity:  Energy Damage Reduction, 
Resistant, 50%
-9	Slow:  Running -4" (2" total); No Noncombat Movement (-1/4)
2	Tireless:  Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) for up to 4 Active Points 
of Running
-2	Unable To Swim:  Swimming -2"
8	Acute Sense Of Smell And Hearing:  +4 PER with Normal Smell and 
Normal Hearing
8	Can Smell A Fresh Corpse From A Mile Away, Hear A Foot Step At 500 
Yards:  +8 versus Range Modifier for Normal Smell and Normal 
Hearing
20	Operate Perfectly In The Dark:  Targeting with Normal Hearing and 
Normal Smell
45	Walking Dead:  LS  (Eating: Character does not eat; Immunity All 
terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Immunity: All 
terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Safe in High Pressure; Safe 
in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in 
Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character 	does not sleep)

[b]Skills[/b]
2	Hungers For Human Flesh:  +1 with Grab

[b]Total Powers & Skill Cost:  480
Total Cost:  452

75+	Disadvantages[/b]
25	Distinctive Features:  Zombie -- grayish skin, smell of decay, 
shambling walk, moaning, and so on (Not Concealable; Extreme 
Reaction [fear]; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
20	Physical Limitation:  Instinctive Intelligence (All the Time, Greatly 
Impairing)
15	Physical Limitation:  Little To No Agility; Cannot Climb, Cannot Leap, 
Cannot Run, Cannot Swim (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)
25	Psychological Limitation:  Unquenchable Hunger For Flesh, Especially 
Human Flesh (Very Common, Total)
292	[b]Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points:  452[/b]

Please note the "Infections Bite" is supposed to be 100% communicable and 100% fatal. Any bite will infect the victim. Infection is also possible through contact with zombie fluids (such as blood if the zombie is fresh enough), or pulped zombie flesh (such as from an explosion). In addition, the infection makes the victim very ill, hence the broad effect of the Drain.

On trait if Solanum zombies is a general immunity to attack from insects, most microbes, and animals. Also, the infection is detectable by dogs. Any suggestions on how to model that?

A more complete character sheet to follow.

Re: Solanum Zombie (1st Draft)

Looks pretty good to me. It is interesting to see a write-up of how the virus works. Normally I'd just hand wave the effects of the bite rather than try to write it up, but I think you did a good job with it.

Looks pretty good to me. It is interesting to see a write-up of how the virus works. Normally I'd just hand wave the effects of the bite rather than try to write it up' date=' but I think you did a good job with it.[/quote']

That was part of the idea... try and define the infection in HERO. Just to make this stand out from the "other" mindless undead. :D

you should have them going dormant when temp gets below freezing(they did freeze in both books WWZ and the survival guide)

also groups of them moaning over long periods of time might cause some insanity to either just rush out and kill them or to kill ones self(dispaire or desperation)

maybe a slow cumulative mind control with an easy defence of ear plugs or finding a quite place to sleep

the hunting moan is only going to drop somebody's pre by 2 per turn so it needs a longer delay on return(recover 5pts per turn)

also do seperate pre drains stack for recovery?

I would also require at least 6 to 1 odds for it to work(need at least 6 zombies)

and have the moan over time a least an hr and have the pre drain last for a week(it should reset should the survivors get away from the zombies and get a days rest with no moans

on average your bite will do 21.5 pts of drain veruses an average character with 10 body(remember body costs 2 pts per pt)this will do 6 body to the character

so unless they take at least 4 body from the fight that they got bit in or had damage earlier or get bit at least 2 times on average 1 bite they will live thru but will be in bad shape for a week(not that this is a bad write up ,it isn't just pointing out a possible out come)

I'd say it is a good write up with just a slight deviation from the books(while absolutes work well in the books in a game not so well)

it can add tension to the game as the player have to really watch the injured to make sure they don't rise(a botched paramedics roll could have the uninjured mistaking a comatose character as being dead and the PC's shoot the injured

it could also have injured PC's go the blaze of glory route since they feel they are going to die anyway

I like rep'ed

201 Infectious Bite: Drain CON 7d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2),

NND (defense is Life Support [immunity]; +1), Trigger (Activating the

Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically,

immediately after it activates; triggered when zombie bites

victim; +1), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per

Day; +1 1/2), affects DEX, CON, BODY, INT, STUN, BODY

simultaneously (+2); Gradual Effect (1 Day; roughly 1d6/3 hours;

-1 3/4), Only When Bite Or Similar Attack Does BODY (-1/2) plus

Major Transform 7d6 (human into Solanum infected zombie, heals

back in manner specified by the GM), Reduced Endurance (0 END;

+1/2), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time,

Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; when

zombie bites victim; +1); Gradual Effect (1 Day; roughly 1d6/3 hours;

-1 3/4), All Or Nothing (-1/2), Limited Target (humans; -1/2), No

Range (-1/2), Only When Bite Or Similar Attack Does BODY (-1/2),

Linked (Drain; -1/2)

Notes: The BODY Drain must kill the victim before the Transform can

fully take effect. Once the victim dies, the Transform will cause the

victim to rise as a zombie in about 2-3 hours.

you should have them going dormant when temp gets below freezing(they did freeze in both books WWZ and the survival guide)

That will probably be a Physical Limitation.

also groups of them moaning over long periods of time might cause some insanity to either just rush out and kill them or to kill ones self(dispaire or desperation)

maybe a slow cumulative mind control with an easy defence of ear plugs or finding a quite place to sleep

I'm not sure if I want to mess with some sort of Mind Control created by a mindless creature. There's no real command given.

the hunting moan is only going to drop somebody's pre by 2 per turn so it needs a longer delay on return(recover 5pts per turn)

also do seperate pre drains stack for recovery?

I would also require at least 6 to 1 odds for it to work(need at least 6 zombies)

and have the moan over time a least an hr and have the pre drain last for a week(it should reset should the survivors get away from the zombies and get a days rest with no moans

The PRE Drain is taken from Post-Apoc Hero, and was created by Darren Watts. I like the effect. The question becomes one of having multiple moaning zombies -- does it stack? GMs trying to push the horror factor might say "yes." But I do think it needs a longer recover rate, maybe per Hour or so? Or, to simulate the slow decay into madness, have the moans Drain PRE once and hour and have the recovery per Day.

on average your bite will do 21.5 pts of drain veruses an average character with 10 body(remember body costs 2 pts per pt)this will do 6 body to the character

so unless they take at least 4 body from the fight that they got bit in or had damage earlier or get bit at least 2 times on average 1 bite they will live thru but will be in bad shape for a week(not that this is a bad write up ,it isn't just pointing out a possible out come)

I'd say it is a good write up with just a slight deviation from the books(while absolutes work well in the books in a game not so well)

it can add tension to the game as the player have to really watch the injured to make sure they don't rise(a botched paramedics roll could have the uninjured mistaking a comatose character as being dead and the PC's shoot the injured

it could also have injured PC's go the blaze of glory route since they feel they are going to die anyway

In my opinion, characters in a zombie game should start with all 8s (making just a little more vulnerable to zombies). But even 8 BODY means you need to drain 36 points to kill your target (which is around 11d6 of Drain). What I need to do, is remove BODY from the infection, and add in a Linked RKA (as with any venom). 7d6 or RKA will kill just about any “normal” person (it will do on average 24 BODY, which will kill anyone up to 12 BODY).

I never finished World War Z (didn't care for it) so I had no idea the zombies had such sharp senses.

I think an RKA build could model with infection pretty well. Uncontrolled, 0 Endurance with an undefined means of shutting it off would make it more or less universally deadly.

Maybe a Triggered* Summon for the zombie transformation that requires the body of the victim (expendable Focus) and Extra Time?

*victim of bite dies

I never finished World War Z (didn't care for it) so I had no idea the zombies had such sharp senses.

I think an RKA build could model with infection pretty well. Uncontrolled, 0 Endurance with an undefined means of shutting it off would make it more or less universally deadly.

Maybe a Triggered* Summon for the zombie transformation that requires the body of the victim (expendable Focus) and Extra Time?

*victim of bite dies

I liked World War Z myself. Anyway, Max Brooks stresses the acute sense of smell and hearing the zombies have, as well as their ability to operate in pitch darkness with no problems. As for the infection, I need to remove the BODY part of the Drain and add in an RKA. As for creating new zombies... one could hand-wave it, or I could make it a Triggered Transform part of the bite, or you could make it a Triggered Summons.

I liked World War Z myself.

I normally like zombie horror but it just didn't grab me. But it was a bestseller so I'm in in the minority there.

As for creating new zombies... one could hand-wave it, or I could make it a Triggered Transform part of the bite, or you could make it a Triggered Summons.

I rolled that around for quite awhile when I ran a zombie horror game. Handwaving it made some sense. It's their means of reproduction and humans don't have to pay for Summon: Infant with 9 months Extra time. :D On the other hand, it's a major issue and it feels right it represented on the character sheet.

He talks about it in the survival guide. The flesh will remain in the zombie until either:

A) the zombie is destroyed, starts to decay and the flesh decays as well.

B) the zombie eats sufficient flesh for it to be pushed out of the anus.

C) the zombie eats sufficient flesh for it to burst the stomach and/or intestine and fall out of the body.

The flesh isn't digested and tends not to rot inside of the zombie as few bacteria and microbes will actually [not] attack an active zombie. The "record" is a zombie with 211 lbs of undigested human flesh within it's digestive system.

He talks about it in the survival guide. The flesh will remain in the zombie until either:

A) the zombie is destroyed, starts to decay and the flesh decays as well.

B) the zombie eats sufficient flesh for it to be pushed out of the anus.

C) the zombie eats sufficient flesh for it to burst the stomach and/or intestine and fall out of the body.

The flesh isn't digested and tends not to rot inside of the zombie as few bacteria and microbes will actually attack an active zombie. The "record" is a zombie with 211 lbs of undigested human flesh within it's digestive system.

Interesting, I wonder how realistic that is? Again just idle curiosity; once you have walking dead a little handwavium is just fine and it sounds plausible enough.

Interesting' date=' I wonder how realistic that is? Again just idle curiosity; once you have walking dead a little handwavium is just fine and it sounds plausible enough.[/quote']

Ahem, that's "not" attack an active zombie.

As for realistic? It's hard to say, since we don't have any other walking dead to compare to. :) However, I thought both WWZ and Zombie Survival Guide were well written and had some logical concepts in them.

BTW -- Max Brooks is Mel's son!

Ahem, that's "not" attack an active zombie.

As for realistic? It's hard to say, since we don't have any other walking dead to compare to. :)

Well, I meant as far the flesh being preserved in their guts. You can't get hung up on realism in a story about walking dead but I don't think there's any harm in wondering about it.

However, I thought both WWZ and Zombie Survival Guide were well written and had some logical concepts in them.

Internal consistency is more important to me than than "realism" in this kind of fiction. I can accept some handwaving.

BTW -- Max Brooks is Mel's son!

That I actually knew. I had some friends that were huge fans of the books and I read a few reviews that mentioned it.

In the survival guide the virus killed the thinking and reasoning part of the brain then slowly consumed it while reactivating the motor,senses, and primal survival instinsts so that it could reproduce and continue

since food is not a factor but infecting others with the virus is

3-5 yrs is the expected life time of a zombie depending on the weather/exertion the zombie is in/does

more fights breakdown the muscles faster since there is no healing for them

also the virus is eating the brain it will get to a point where there is not enough brain to give orders to the body to move

my only problem with the survival was that he called the ak-47 a better weapon than the M16

maybe back when the M16 first came out it was a more reliable weapon beacuse it could go longer without cleaning but the M16 is a more accurate weapon

in this class I'd go for an HK416 which is an M16 with a new action that does not get fouled by using gas extraction to work the action

for me I'd go for the HK MP5SD

it has a built in silencer

uses 9mm when used for a head shot is lethal to 100yrds(anything beyond that you can use terrian to out manuever)

9mm very common ammo

light 1/2 the weight of .223 or 7.62x39mm

can also be used should you have a 9mm pistol asa backup

• 2 weeks later...

Granted, but you gave the zombies 'No Hit Locations' for 10 points. I don't have my Hero 5th Ed right here handy, but doesn't that mean they DON'T take x2 BODY from head shots? My suggestion was to offset the 'No Hit Locations' power for head shots only.

I may, of course, be mistaken. My apologies in advance if so.