Question on Power Effect

Benzini

In my campaign I have a "Perfect Physical specimen" type character who wants to buy an attack which simulates him moving up to a character,strike, and move back to his original position. I have seen this defined as a type of stretching e.g. "attack only" "no noncombat" "only vs targets within round trip of full move (or half move)", "only for damage". He also has some movement powers like flight-"only over mostly level surfaces", and Leaping.

My point of contention is that his flights and movement powers all are over "mostly level" surfaces. Keeping in mind the description of the power (moving up to a character,strike, and move back to his original position) and the rules for Leaping, Could this character make attacks vs hovering characters?

[susano, where art thou?]

Re: Question on Power Effect

You could rename the "only vs targets within round trip of full move (or half move)" LIm to "Only against targets he can reach with a full/half move", to explicitly note that he has to be able to reach the target with his movement.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe you can do a Half-move Leap and attack.

So essentially, if our hero can get to the target by leaping, then I'd say, sure, he can hit him.

Nestor basically has it. If the character can't reach a hovering character with his Leaping there I don't see why he should be able to hit him with this attack. After all, the SFX of the attack is the character moving up next to his foe and striking, not him teleporting up and then back.

Leaping doesn't have that "control throughout" modifier. e.g. in the middle of running you could dodge obstacles that pop up. In mid leap, you are virtually "uncontrolled" so objects popping up...no way to avoid. Imagine the sky filled with Fliers moving around, constantly. to hit one of the flying targets, you could leap, but you could get smacked en route with no way to help it. Does this explain better?

Nestor basically has it. If the character can't reach a hovering character with his Leaping there I don't see why he should be able to hit him with this attack. After all' date=' the SFX of the attack is the character moving up next to his foe and striking, not him teleporting up and then back.[/quote']

So if the character has leaping then there should be no problem with the definition?

Leaping doesn't have that "control throughout" modifier. e.g. in the middle of running you could dodge obstacles that pop up. In mid leap' date=' you are virtually "uncontrolled" so objects popping up...no way to avoid. Imagine the sky filled with Fliers moving around, constantly. to hit one of the flying targets, you could leap, but you could get smacked en route with no way to help it. Does this explain better?[/quote']

Stretching characters can be attacked in mid-stretch by other characters, so that might cover that. I'll also point out that you're describing a character who can move at least 3 game inches, hit someone, and move back those same 3 inches in mere seconds. Somehow I don't see a bunch of fliers being an issue.

In my campaign I have a "Perfect Physical specimen" type character who wants to buy an attack which simulates him moving up to a character,strike, and move back to his original position. I have seen this defined as a type of stretching e.g. "attack only" "no noncombat" "only vs targets within round trip of full move (or half move)", "only for damage". He also has some movement powers like flight-"only over mostly level surfaces", and Leaping.

My point of contention is that his flights and movement powers all are over "mostly level" surfaces. Keeping in mind the description of the power (moving up to a character,strike, and move back to his original position) and the rules for Leaping, Could this character make attacks vs hovering characters?

If its just a special effect of the power limited only by areas the character could reach on his own, I do not see the confusion.

You know' date=' with a passing strike MA manuever he could do what you are looking for, he would even get a slight bonus to damage based on velocity...[/quote']

I was thinking Move-By, myself. The odd thing is that, from what I'm reading, the character could leap up, attack someone, then do a 180 in mid-air and return to his starting location (in fact, he MUST do so) ... so I really have no idea what this power is really representing.

It strikes me as a very video-gamish sort of power. A super-move of sorts.

I agree, it's like all you see is the character returning his sword to his sheath and a moment later a spray of crimson fluid is evacuating the target.

I love those movies:)

You know' date=' with a passing strike MA manuever he could do what you are looking for, he would even get a slight bonus to damage based on velocity...[/quote']

Unfortunately passing strike is poorly balanced (aka BROKEN) in the context of a superheroic level game. In every champions game that I've been in where it has surfaced, it was used in one fight then nerfed out of existence.

Unfortunately passing strike is poorly balanced (aka BROKEN) in the context of a superheroic level game. In every champions game that I've been in where it has surfaced' date=' it was used in one fight then nerfed out of existence.[/quote']

I've never seen a problem with it. It's better than a move-by, but you did pay points for it.

I've never seen a problem with it. It's better than a move-by' date=' but you did pay points for it.[/quote']

Agreed, while it is something we limit to characters who thematicaly should have it (Speedsters some MA's) it is no more broken than any other MA manuever...

This goes for all FMove by the way

Agreed, while it is something we limit to characters who thematicaly should have it (Speedsters some MA's) it is no more broken than any other MA manuever...

UMA, by the by, recommends being very careful about letting a character use a FMove maneuver in the middle of his movement. It should be typical that FMove just lets him take more than a half-move before attacking, not attack-and-keep-moving.

There's the problem. Nobody blinks if a thug with 6" of running takes passing strike. If a speedster with 30" of running takes it, it gets a little unbalanced.

If anyone with 60" of gliding takes it, it breaks. Not only do you generate 14d6 with no DC and STR of 10, you also get the opportunity to gain some altitude and dive on a target for 26d6.

There's the problem. Nobody blinks if a thug with 6" of running takes passing strike. If a speedster with 30" of running takes it, it gets a little unbalanced.

If anyone with 60" of gliding takes it, it breaks. Not only do you generate 14d6 with no DC and STR of 10, you also get the opportunity to gain some altitude and dive on a target for 26d6.

I have played with a couple of different Speedsters with it, now admitingly none who use 1"=1 pt movement, always 1"=2 pt (flight or Running), but we have never had a problem with it, except for what we would have with any other character built on using the Move-By/through manuever

At that point, I think the more broken part is having 60 inches of frickin' Gliding. :)

Due to its open-ended nature, the Hero System is very, very breakable. It's the DM's responsibility to enforce balance however he sees fit; for example, with Glider Kamikaze Boy, I'd remark that, well, that exceeds my 12 DC Campaign Cap by a fair margin, wouldja mind peeling that back a bit. :)

I have played with a couple of different Speedsters with it' date=' now admitingly none who use 1"=1 pt movement, always 1"=2 pt (flight or Running), but we have never had a problem with it, except for what we would have with any other character built on using the Move-By/through manuever[/quote']

If it works for you, that's ok.

Still, I wouldn't want to have a computer that featured a FORMAT HARD DRIVES button on the keyboard, even if I was warned never to touch that button.

His signature move: the Flying Guillotine!

Awesome! Now I need to write up a new villain: the Hangman Glider!

Yeah, you could do the same with swinging too! :)

Back to the original post, I'd just write it up as an EB with limited range. If you want to prevent movement, also use Extra Time (full Phase). I think I'd just call it good with that, even if the target is directly above the user. No biggie.

+n" running (or other movement), Only with half move (-1?), only to return to where you were at start of phase (-1 1/2?)