Reducing Analyze's Effectiveness

MistWing

I have a question concerning the Analyze skill. Here is a bit of background so you can see what my intent is.

I have a character who is an expert Shape Shifter. In addition, I have a variety of Martial Arts skills which I describe as "Using my Shape Shift powers to enhance my fighting prowess". For example, I may use my tail to strike my opponent. Then, grow a set of claws to add damage to my H-T-H attack. Things like that. If I were able to be completely random in the use of my Shape Shift power, I would be able to completely negate anyone's attempts to Analyze my Martial Arts. However, I can't be that random, so my Shape Shift power only reduces the Analyze's effctiveness.

So, given the above, how do I reduce Analyze's effectiveness? Normally, I would use another Skill as an Opposing Skill to give minuses to the Analyze roll. However, there is not an opposing skill for Analyze. Am I missing it? Is there an already established way of doing this?

Thanks

MistWing SilverTail

Are you shape shifting into human or non-human forms? Just as a GM's call, I'd say that if Analyze:Style worked at all against a non-humanoid martial artist, it would at the very least take a hefty penalty, especially if you haven't taken the Style disadvantage for your character. If your GM wants something more concrete, it might be fair to buy Lack of Weakness vs. Analyze, maybe even at only 1 point per -1 considering how much more powerful Find Weakness is than the Analyze skill.

Edit: Didn't check the book before answering. Oh well. :)

At least my guess turned out close to the official rule. ;)

OK, after brainstorming various ways to do this, I have to do this:

HEY, STEVE - I'M CALLIN' YA OUT - IT'S A RULES QUESTION!!! :D

FRERd p125, Lack of Weakness - "Characters can also buy Lack of Weakness to protect against the Analyze Skill. Every -1 to all Analyze rolls costs 1 character point." Since this would only apply to Analyze Martial Arts, I'd give it a limitation depending on how common Analyze Martial Arts is in the campaign (likely -1/2; maybe -1 or more in a pure martial arts campaign).

And the moral of the story is that no one remembers all the rules at all times (except Steve, of course, who obviously transferred this thread as a test of the Board Posters :P ). Always a good idea to get others' input on unusual structures!

Guest Keneton

UMA

This has always been addressed as Lack of Weakness against analyze style according to the rules given in UMA on page 112.

Hope this helps as this is the official rule.

Oops! didnt see hugh beat me to it. My referance is to the updated rule in UMA.

:)

Re: UMA

Originally posted by Keneton

This has always been addressed as Lack of Weakness against analyze style according to the rules given in UMA on page 112.

Hope this helps as this is the official rule.

Oops! didnt see hugh beat me to it. My referance is to the updated rule in UMA.

:)

Well, two of us beat Steve's roll! [Haven't read the UMA yet - lucky to get through FRED.]