Do you have players justify experience points expenditure?

nexus

Re: Do you have players justify experience points expenditure?

The idea of XP is quite articifial as most pepole will reach a plateau that they cannot rise above in practice, and an awful lot of fictional characters don't seem to ever substantially change their abilities (of course others do on a week to week basis).

Moreover, in reality, abilities can go down as well as up if you don't use them, and it tends to get harder to improve the better you are.

It would be nice to see some rules to model this.

see The Ultimate Skill p26-30

The idea of XP is quite articifial as most pepole will reach a plateau that they cannot rise above in practice, and an awful lot of fictional characters don't seem to ever substantially change their abilities (of course others do on a week to week basis).

Moreover, in reality, abilities can go down as well as up if you don't use them, and it tends to get harder to improve the better you are.

To be honest, most of that strikes me as a far bigger pain in the butt than it's worth to implement ... and, IMHO, unfun.

There already are. It costs as much to improve a 12- to a 13- as it does a 15- to a 16-, yet the chance for success improves much more for the former than for the latter. Improvements are large at the middle levels of Skills; incremental at the higher levels.

If someone wants to buy something, assuming it gets the ok from all the GM's (we have four GMs), then it's given that the player can have the character buy it. We've had a few situations where a character buys something during the game but that's only been a handful of times.

With my Champions game, I ask them to write up the changes... and I will check them out. If they seem appropriate, then the character gets them. If things looks less clear, I ask for an RP justification - this is typically for issues such as players buying defenses reactively (I got hit with a Drain... I must have Power Defense! Now I got hit with a Flash... Flash DEF coming right up!)

But, typically, I am pretty free with the XP expenditures...