Improving Absorption

A question in the Champions forum got me wondering about this. Basically, is Absorption as written effective enough? I don't use absorption much myself, and I realized part of the reason for that is that I find it too much trouble for too little return. What if we upped the rate to 2 pts/BODY absorbed, for example? Would that be too overwhelming?

Re: Improving Absorption

For my part, I found when I compared the benefits of Absorption to buying more Characteristics and Powers with Limitations, Absorption came up a little short balance-wise. I'm not obsessive about point efficiency, but I do feel that the various avenues for modeling an effect in HERO should square with each other as much as possible. It seemed better balanced to me to reduce Absorption to 3 Base Points for each 1d6.

What I do with Aid is probably too involved to shoehorn into this topic. :eg:

I once had a Mentalist with Absorbtion to his mental powers.

He was dubbed "the world's most powerful unconscious psychic."

You generally need to have hideous levels of DEF, or delay the return rate greatly, to make Absorbtion workable.

The base effect of Absorption is a bit weak' date=' but it quickly become uber with the application of one or more Advantages and / or Adders and can be one of the most unbalanced powers in the game if leveraged sufficiently.[/quote']

That's an Adjustment power issue, not specific to Absorption.

Or am I missing something?

Really need to have Absorption affect a number of Powers/Characteristics before it becomes effective. You will also require high defenses and/or Damage Reduction to take that pounding and stay up. However if you build that then the Absorption really becomes too effective. Theres no good balance IMO its either too good or too weak.