Willpower

One of my PCs is interested in developing an ability that focuses her EGO score into damage prevention. Basically to say that her strength of mind prevents her from succumbing to damage (possibly only works for STUN?). I suggested something like simply using armor with the 'strength of will' being special effect, but my players are new to the concept of a fully costumizable system based on special effect and kind of prefer to feel unique by having different powers if you know what I mean.

Re: Willpower

I'll skip the obligatory Tyler Durden quote ;)

Write it up as Strength of Will as Armor. Now erase the word Armor. There, unique ;)

If that's not working, perhaps 25% Damage Reduction (Possibly with an RSR EGO ROll or Activation Roll), coupled with high PD/ED and REC.

But honestly, there's only about 70 base power mechanics in the game, so anyone that has played for any length of time has probably seen them all and will eventually run into replication.

It SFX, coupled with advantages/limitations, that make a character, not the underlaying mechanics.

I came up with this:

Willpower

Damage Reduction - 25% not resistant (10) Costs Endurance (-1/4) Increased Endurance x10 (-4) Activation Roll: EGO check [EGO:20 Roll= 13-](-3/4)

Active Point Cost: 10 END: 10

Real Point Cost: 2

I wanted to give a disincentive to using it (or at least relying on it) because though her physical stats are lower, this would give her an advantage over the other PCs, and with another character already in the tank role, I wouldn't want her indestructible.

10 End? Yeow. Maybe consider reducing this a bit.

Besides that, I'd throw in some Combat Luck and a few other things (like maybe an actual armored jacket or battle gear). Character which have active defenses like this tend to get splattered when their defense doesn't activate. Having more than one defense means they'll have something to fall back on.

Cool concept though. I like the direction you are going.

I'm generally against too many RSRs or activation rolls as they slow combat down especially when on defences you'll be wanting to use every phase.

How about, simply:

Armour (5pd, 5ed) 15 points LINKED to Ego (-1/4) 12 real points

That way the power feels like something your Ego is doing, and is affected by changes to your Ego (at least downward it is), but it just chugs along in teh background and generally doesn't get in the way.

I'll have to think about the balance between ease of play and interest "for me as GM anyway". IMO it's a little more edge of the seat if the player nor myself know if the power will work or not.

I've sent it off to her in an email so ultimately it's up to whether or not this fits her concept. Plan two will be something along your idea Sean.

Sean is completely right. Never add additional rolls to combat if there is another way which is just as clean. I recently wrote up a "unstable" desolid. In the end it became 75% DR which works just as well but requires me to roll roughly a hundred dice less per battle.