Equipment in Post Apocolypse Hero

nexus

I'm looking for some advice on handling starting equipment for a post apocalypse Hero game I'm planning. The Equipment perk in the sourcebook is a little vague on the issue and didn't help me much. Generally, for Heroic games I handwave equipment most of the time taking into account any wealth/poverty attributes, general tone and other factors. but in a PA game how much ammo, food, medicine, etc, the characters have can (and often should) be an important plot point that effect their stories. What would be some good guidelines? I don't want to resort to allocating a figurative budget and letting them buy items from another games equipment list unless I have to but right now that is sounding like the most direct solution.

Re: Equipment in Post Apocolypse Hero

What is your setting like? If it was a Zombie Apocalypse or something similar whereby the characters are normal folk & the apocalypse is happening around them, i'd consider letting them have the contents of their own home to start with. Unless of course they are hardened survivalists with more arms than a small country:)

Do you have access to Dark Champions, and its rules for Resource Pools? Perhaps letting each character buy a Resource Pool would be the easiest way to handle it. Alternatively, if the whole group always works together and shares what they have, you might let them each contribute some of their Character Points to one collective Resource Pool that the whole group shares.

the speed at which the apocalypse happens at(70% die 28%zombies 2%survive)

does this happen overnight a month,a year

I'd say out fitted for on the move on foot dressed in BDU's

1 rifle,shotgun,smg with 9 total mags and 2 boxes of shells

1 side arm 3 mags and 2 boxes of shells

2 1 quart canteens

1 combat knife

1 muliti tool

1 melee weapon(baseball bat,crow bar,tire iron,sword)

a good sized back pack with the following

3 days of MRE's

3 sets of under wear and socks

2 sets of BDUs

1 heavy jacket

tolietries

bedroll

cooking gear

maps and compass

now this would be for somebody outfitted as a solider so you might want to lessen what they have due to not being as compact

a normal could carry this and march 5 to 6 hrs a day

I'm looking for some advice on handling starting equipment for a post apocalypse Hero game I'm planning. The Equipment perk in the sourcebook is a little vague on the issue and didn't help me much. Generally' date=' for Heroic games I handwave equipment most of the time taking into account any wealth/poverty attributes, general tone and other factors. but in a PA game how much ammo, food, medicine, etc, the characters have can (and often should) be an important plot point that effect their stories. What would be some good guidelines? I don't want to resort to allocating a figurative budget and letting them buy items from another games equipment list unless I have to but right now that is sounding like the most direct solution.[/quote']

Let them pick what equipment they want with the foreknowledge that you'll excise anything that seems excessive.

If you want to put another psychological governor on the whole thing, tell them that when you cut something excessive, you'll cut deeply; a 50 round box of rifle ammo is okay, but if someone tries to get away with a full case, you'll take it away.

Don't give them firm guidelines...let them decide what is too much. They'll probably err on the side of caution, judging that a few good shots is worth more than an empty rifle, or that a few good meals is better than an empty stomach. And if they get too greedy and you take all of a character's ammo/food/trade goods, they'll get a taste of a vicious dog-eat-feral -mutated-dog world before the game even starts.