Perfect bodyguard

Doc

Hi everybody,

I'm searching for the best/simpler way to build a power for a bodyguard character. This bodyguard would always be able to "appear" in front of the person he has to protect to block an attack, provided he is in the same area (same room, etc).

You can see an animated exemple of what I mean in this Lineage II promotion movie: http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=iZXJOAXqZ8s

The simplest way I came with is to buy him a force field, maybe combined with teleportation to represent his movement. That's a power wich should be abortable to.

Is this legit? Can you come with improvements to this basic idea or have you a hole better do do this?

Thank you very much.

Re: Perfect bodyguard

Well, I hadn't read that. I'm not sure though it's what I'm really looking for... In fact, I'd simply like the character to be able to abort to a block to defend his pretectee wherever he might be.

At first, I thought of it as a Force Wall, with enough range to be placed in front of the protectee, with the special effect being the protector simply being at the right place, at the right time. But as this involved movement, I felt it was a little to much for "just" a special effect.

Maybe I could build this as an abortable to teleportation with a set destination, in front of protectee, to block? But I don't think a character can teleport and block in a same abort action, can't he? Unless the teleport serves as a dive for cover to take the damages instead of the protectee...?

I'm still not sure...:help:

Or you could build a hyper-vigilent character that always puts himself in the right place to provide protection. :thumbup:

Well, that's exactly what I'm trying to simulate...

I tought about something else. Could I build an abortable to combat manoeuvre wich would include a teleport move and a block for a defined character?

About the trigger thing, would it permit the character to abort to block before a blow can touch the protectee?

Well' date=' that's exactly what I'm trying to simulate...[/quote']I'm not sure if you got my point or not...so I'll plug along as if you didn't, and if you did, I apologize. :)

I was trying to say that you can create this character without any special powers. He would need to have a good half-move, decent speed and CV, and some levels in block. But primarily, he would need to spend a lot of time holding his actions in case someone tried to attack his ward. If the "appearing" is really important, then just have him by a teleport, must pass through space, at the same level as his half move.

But again, holding an action for protecting the ward is still the key to getting this to work. To me, that is the heart of this character, isn't it? It seems like you're trying to build a power that allows your character to appear to be very protective of his ward, without actually having to play that character.

On the how to...I always thought things with trigger were pretty clunky, especially for something like this. It can work, certainly. It's just not how I would do it.

I'm not sure if you got my point or not...so I'll plug along as if you didn't, and if you did, I apologize. :)

I was trying to say that you can create this character without any special powers. He would need to have a good half-move, decent speed and CV, and some levels in block. But primarily, he would need to spend a lot of time holding his actions in case someone tried to attack his ward. If the "appearing" is really important, then just have him by a teleport, must pass through space, at the same level as his half move.

But again, holding an action for protecting the ward is still the key to getting this to work. To me, that is the heart of this character, isn't it? It seems like you're trying to build a power that allows your character to appear to be very protective of his ward, without actually having to play that character.

On the how to...I always thought things with trigger were pretty clunky, especially for something like this. It can work, certainly. It's just not how I would do it.

Ok, now I understand what you mean... It should work effectively if the GM allows optional rules about holding actions (can hold untill his next phase, can hold untill unspecified moment), wich should not be a problem with this, as I'm the GM! I was working on a NPC...

Thanks a lot! :thumbup:

Give him Danger Sense with a limitation that it only applies to the person he is protecting (the character can't tell if he (himself) is in danger, only if the person he is protecting is).

Then he will know ahead of time if someone is going to shoot his target (and from where) so he can move into position to block the shot.