Matter Eating (with linked powers)

Hello all,

It's my first HERO character, and I could use some help with building my powers.

Specifically, how would you model the ability to eat anything? I have tentatively used an HKA 2 1/2d6 with armor piercing to provide a way to eat more resistant, non-food items (and potentially people, I suppose, though I don't intend to do so). Would I need an added advantage because the object actually gets eaten (end effectively no longer exists)?

As an added bonus, my character would change into any metal consumed at a high concentration, increasing density and defense (a compound power of Density Increase plus Armor). This has a limitation of "only up to the density/defense of the metal consumed", and has been bought as uncontrolled, with a time limit based on the amount of metal eaten. Other modifiers desired are 0 END use, Extra Time (Extra Segment) for swallowing and digesting, Visible (metal body), and Linked (to Super Eating, only in the case that a high concentration of metal is eaten).

Does it sound like I'm going about this the right way? How would you build such a power set? Also note that I am working with a very unfortunate 60 Active Point limit.

(Bonus question: Does uncontrolled last through multi-form?)

Thanks!

Re: Matter Eating (with linked powers)

90% of the time, the ability to "Eat stuff to get other stuff" is simply the Special Effect of the end result.

If you eat metal to get a shield coating you buy a Non-Persistent Defense with a Focus Limitation of some kind, and a Limitation or Side Effect that the Focus is consumed when used.

the other 10% of the time, I suggest a Major Transform with Set Effect, Always Activated When Other Powers Used: Focus Into Nothing/Air.

Yeah, or...hmmm, I'd buy the "eat" power as a Penitrating attack, rather than AP. LS- All toxins: Only ingested....then a "power up" set (likely a Multi-power) with a lim that it requires ingestion.

If the eating part is only a sfx then just put a SE:"Enviroment gets damaged" on the power up Multi, and it's all good.....

I usually buy the power to eat anything (more usually 'disintegrate anything') as a Body drain because most objects do not have power defence and do not recover drained characteristics, but it is not so realistic against living targets (although I note you do not intend to use it against the living).

In Hero any attack you can build could be trumped by a better defence, so assume that you can't eat 'anything', just 'almost anything', no matter how you build it. The nearest you can get to th eability to eat any matter would be a KA that was NND (Does Body) with the defence being energy defences (like a (sfx not power) force field). That should allow you to munch through anything that does not have an energy shell.

As to the transformation to metal you can go about it a number of ways - either buy your defences tot eh maximum you could ever want (i.e. the toughest you could be if you ate the toughest metal) and agree a limitation witht he GM based on how common various metals are, and so what effective proportion of your maximum you will usually be operating on.

Alternatively some sort of transfer (rPD to rPD) could solve both problems at once, has a built in time limit, and is relatively cheap to increase maximum effect. That could work.

As to the bonus question, yes uncontrolled will generally still be in effect even if the creator changes (multi) form, but there might be some exceptions depending on the power definition. Usually though, it remains.

I love this concept. I agree with Sean on both builds. An NND (vs. FF), Does BODY, HKA is the best way to simulate an "eat anything" power.

That said, 2 Transfers may be the best way to combine both effects. As all objects have a BODY and a DEF, I would use two seperate Transfers (and also due to your 60 AP cap) to simulate the ability to turn into the material eaten.

For example:

4d6 Transfer BODY to STR, Linked to DEF Transfer (-1/2), Only up to twice the BODY of the material eaten (-1/2)

4d6 Transfer DEF to Armor, Linked to BODY Transfer, Only up to the DEF of the material eaten (-1/2)

I hope that helps.

[Edit]

This is power gaming and might earn a slap from the GM but if the above doesn't raise your characteristics high or fast enough (due to the 60 AP cap), you could also consider 6d6 STR and Armor Aids Linked to 6d6 BODY and DEF Drains.

Lots of good ideas here, thanks.

Doc, I notice that you are recommending 2 linked powers with 60 AP each (a total of 120 AP, if you consider them as one). Would most GM's frown on that?

I would say many GMs would frown on it in a capped campaign but it does have some limiting effects, such making it so that there is no way to use the powers seperately (which you might do if you if you were getting low on END, or to boost one attribute because the other got capped by a good roll).

We also play in a strictly AP capped campaign but allow constructs such as the above. Frankly, adjustments powers designed to boost attributes aren't that great as they require actions and time to make you as powerful as you would have been if you had just bought the power or characteristic outright. I like the idea of Transfer (what you drain is what you get) but for a similar cost, you probably could have just bought STR, Armor, and a KA.

If your GM doesn't like that build, try this one...

1/2d6 HKA (1d6 with STR), NND (vs. FFs) (+1), Does BODY (+1) (30 pts.)

+24 STR, Focus (Objects of Opportunity, 5ER 292) (16 pts.)

8PD/ 8 ED Armor, Focus (Objects of Opportunity, 5ER 292) (16 pts.)

For about the same cost (62 vs. 60), you get a very similar effect and don't have to use multiple actions to boost your STR and Armor. Also the KA is arguably better than Transfer as you will eventually be able to eat thru anything (even stuff with Power Defense), as long as it is not protected by a Force Field or the like.

The HKA is a good start, but it runs against the problem that it caps out on the amount of BODY you can do.

You might need GM approval for what I propose, but try it this way:

- Keep the HKA, but put it in a multi.

- In the same multi, buy a Transform (to harmless digestible material). How ever much you can afford, with the advantages of 0 End, Persistent, & Cumulative. This should allow you to digest anything, eventually, but certain things take longer (High body/DEF objects, special protections, etc). Slap on the disad that you can't attack with it (unless it fits in your mouth anyway). Make this slot the default for the power, and you can digest uranium while you sleep.

Along the same lines, this would allow you to justify LS v poisons (-1 ingested only, doesn't apply to breathed/contact poisons). :doi:

This could lead to stuff like this:

Hero #1: What happened to 8 kilograms of uranium we found in the illegal weapons lab?

Hero #2: Oh, Turtle ate it. It gave him some nasty smelling burps, but everything is good now.

The Goat, He started out as "Matter eatter" but years of being called "Goat boy" finally got to him.

Originally a mutant, joined PD, served in STOP. When Sir Peter Wellsley was brought over to UNTIL he went along...

The Skilz...

Commando 19 pts

+2 DC 8 pts

+2 w/ All 20 pts

Breakfall

Acrobatics

Stealth

Climbing

TF: Parachutes, Scuba, Jet bikes(Until)

Navigation

Survival

Streetwise

Perq. UNITY member 5 pts

KS: Until most wanted (11)

Total cost 79 pts

"Years of training"

The POWER! Ummm...yeah....

You are what you eat! +10 STR REnd>0, No fig Link/Must consume -1/2,-1/2 (-1) 7 pts

Ditto... Armor +12 Def Visable, Based on durability of consumed item(s) (-3/4) 20pts

Adamantine gut! LS- All Toxins: ingested only -1/2 ...LS- Radiation 9 pts

Gourmand... Analyse,Discrim for taste group 10 pts

Matter Eating Multi (50)

Super Eating ; 3 u HKA 2D6 PEN, No KB

Eat nails and spit bullets!; 3 u RKA 1D6 Auto, REnd>0 No KB

Slurp up energy; 5 u Dispell Any one, AE 1 hex, 9D6

Spit it back out; 4 u E-Atk, 10 D6 No KB

Good food builds better bodys ; Heal 4D6, limbs, Self only SE: Damages environment

Hero's fortune Combat luck 6 pts

Eats Anything! LS- No need to eat

Athletic traing +3" running and swimming 9 pts

End Res (20) REC 10: Must "slurp" energy to recover (-1)

Vari sp effect on E-Atk, NCC (matches whats in reserve, must empty and refill to change)

Total 143 pts

Total for Character 350 pts.

• 1 month later...

Why not a general dispel solid object? 60 AP gets you a sizable attack there' date=' and you can use it to eat any focus you can get your mouth on. (I'd use the Restrainable limitation here, but I'm a little munchkinny about that one.)[/quote']

I don't like restrainable, without he can eat his way out of Entangles..!

Why not a general dispel solid object? 60 AP gets you a sizable attack there' date=' and you can use it to eat any focus you can get your mouth on. (I'd use the Restrainable limitation here, but I'm a little munchkinny about that one.)[/quote']

The trouble with dispel is that it works off active points. That would mean, for instance, that it would be easier to eat an iron bar than an iron bar that has been hollowed out and filled with delicate (and tasty) teleport circuitry, or, for that matter, a thin wand of wood that has been enchanted to throw fireballs.

The trouble with dispel is that it works off active points. That would mean' date=' for instance, that it would be easier to eat an iron bar than an iron bar that has been hollowed out and filled with delicate (and tasty) teleport circuitry, or, for that matter, a thin wand of wood that has been enchanted to throw fireballs.[/quote']

True dat...

But a Pen HKA usually takes care of Foci just fine anyway....The goofiest part of the build is that he can bite down most Forcewalls with ease....

True dat...

But a Pen HKA usually takes care of Foci just fine anyway....The goofiest part of the build is that he can bite down most Forcewalls with ease....

....which is one reason I think you ought to be able to buy Body for your force walls and maybe for your focus too, but that is an entirely different thread in the making...

....which is one reason I think you ought to be able to buy Body for your force walls and maybe for your focus too' date=' but that is an entirely different thread in the making...[/quote']

Stop creating so many threads! We might run out...?

In game I handle this nonsense by buying most Force wall Hardened.....