pigeons associate with hero

Mark Rand

Re: pigeons associate with hero

Yeah, but there's a lot of other things the pigeons could do if they were trained. Carrying messages, creating distractions, and dropping small items off are just a small sampling.

And if he can actually learn to actively control them, they can be used for recon, listening into distant conversations, low-damage area-affect attacks (200 pigeons all atacking at once, dodge that!), the possibilties are endless. :sneaky:

Especially if the pigeons are 'selfless enough to sacrifice themselves' for the character. angel.gif

On the other hand, they are kinda nasty...:idjit:

This is the famous exploding pigeon attack. Feed Buster the pigeon a load of AlkaSeltzer and then have him land on the bad-guy. Exploding pigeon 1D6 Presence drain. It's hard to look impressive when you're covered with exploded pigeon.

"Buster, the squadron leader, has been assassinated." Rep to the first one to name that quote.

They'd make stealth really hard. How do you replicate a +5 to enemy Perception rolls?

I agree that they'd make stealth hard. Of course, they could serve as a distraction to the attacker or a damage shield for the hero, by taking the damage instead. In the latter case, animal activists might try and bring charges against the hero.

How soon they forget. ;)

PERCIVAL CLAYTON, LORD OF THE PIGEONS

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

15 STR 5 12- Lift 200.0kg; 3d6 [1]

18 DEX 24 13- OCV: 6/DCV: 6

13 CON 6 12-

10 BODY 0 11-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

10 EGO 0 11- ECV: 3

15 PRE 5 12- PRE Attack: 3d6

10 COM 0 11-

3/7 PD 0 Total: 3/7 PD (0/4 rPD)

3/7 ED 0 Total: 3/7 ED (0/4 rED)

3 SPD 2 Phases: 4, 8, 12

6 REC 0

26 END 0

25 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 45

Movement: Running: 6"/12"

Gliding: 15"/15"

Leaping: 6"/12"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

3 Keen Pigeon Senses: Bump of Direction

12 I Speak the Secret Language of Birds!: Telepathy 4d6 (standard effect: 12 points) (Avian class of minds), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Limited Class Of Minds [subset of a class] (-1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Bird must be close enough to hear and see; -1/4)

Notes: While Percival can apparently communicate with Birds, he has no special power to compel them. He must "negotiate" using his Animal Handling skill.

6 I Call Upon You My Pigeon Friends! Coo! Coo!: Summon 4 15-point creatures, Friendly (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (23 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Arrives Under Own Power (-1/2), Summoned Being Must Inhabit Locale (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4)

Notes: By Cooing loudly for a short time, Percival may summon nearby pigeons. These birds will be friendly, and willing to perform simple tricks, but will otherwise be perfectly normal pigeons. They will flee if attacked. Use the homing pigeons from HSB p.138.

3 Like the mighty pigeon, I take to the air!: Leaping +3" (6" forward, 3" upward) 1

7 My Pigeon's Wings!: Gliding 15" (15 Active Points); OIF Fragile Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; -3/4), no Noncombat movement (-1/4)

Notes: Percival is somehow able to adapt almost any cape, long jacket or similar garment into a makeshift gliding cloak.

10 City Life Has Toughened Me: Armor (4 PD/4 ED) (12 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (does not prevent penetration; -1/4)

7 I Am At Home Among the Rooftops: Clinging (normal STR) (10 Active Points); Cannot Resist Knockback (-1/4), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Only surfaces that could be climbed or clung to by a normal human without equipment; -1/4)

Notes: Percival has a remarkable ability to climb as easily as he walks, and never seems to lose his balance even when moving across narrow ledges or wires.

5 Mere Filth Never Harmed Any Man: Life Support (Immunity Common Cold/Flu; Immunity: Bacterial Infections)

Mighty Pigeon Style

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

4 Flap Quickly Away! -- +5 Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

4 Charge Forward Flapping! +0 -2 5d6 +v/5 Strike, FMove

4 Deadly Peck! -2 +0 HKA 1d6 +1

Skills

3 Acrobatics 13-

Notes: I am a feather on the wind!

4 Animal Handler (Birds) 13-

Notes: I speak the language of pigeons!

3 Breakfall 13-

Notes: To plummet means nothing to a pigeon!

3 Climbing 13-

Notes: The heights are my home!

3 Mimicry 12-

Notes: Human noises are easy!

3 Shadowing 12-

Notes: I am one with the city.

3 Stealth 13-

Notes: Quiet as a pigeon.

3 Streetwise 12-

Notes: All folk of the street are known to me!

2 Survival (Urban) 12-

Notes: The streets are lined with bread crumbs!

1 Language: English (imitate dialects; literate) (6 Active Points)

Notes: Percival has a remarkable ability to imitate dialects when speaking English.

3 CK: London 12-

3 KS: Practical Ornithology 12-

0 AK: Hyde Park (Everyman Skill) 12-

Notes: I was born and raised in this park!

2 TF: Balloons & Zeppelins, Combat Aircraft, Small Planes

Notes: Instinctive talent for flying

3 Combat Piloting 13-

Notes: Genuine instinctive talent for flying

1 WF: Biplane Guns

Notes: I am a master of the air!

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 105

Total Cost: 150

100+ Disadvantages

5 Physical Limitation: Believes that he was raised by Pigeons, has no memory of a time before joining his flock (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)

5 Psychological Limitation: Will not eat birds, fish or mammals (Uncommon, Moderate)

Notes: This is actually very common, but will only uncommonly be an issue in play

15 Psychological Limitation: Charitable, does all he can to provide for animals and the poor (Very Common, Moderate)

5 Psychological Limitation: Places little value on traditional trappings of status, including material goods and regular bathing (Uncommon, Moderate)

5 Distinctive Features: Extremely lean, huge nose and eyes, tiny ears, terrible personal hygiene (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

5 Reputation: Acrobatic lunatic bird trainer, 8-

5 Money: Poor

Notes: Percival has actually gone through quite a bit of money, but tends to give it away as fast as he gets it. He is also very bad at judging the value of his services.

5 Social Limitation: Some-time homeless lunatic (Occasionally, Minor)

Notes: In many social circles, Percival's borderline homeless status makes him deeply undesirable.

Total Disadvantage Points: 150

Background/History: I had this story from one who had no business to tell it to me, or to any other.

-Edgar Rice Borroughs

I have spent most of my life in Hyde Park. In the tops of those trees I did sleep. There, in that fountain was I christened. In the cold of winter, the rootless free men of the city did gather in this isolated clearing to share what little they could forage. For many years did they share that bounty with me, but never was I one of their number. You look upon me and see a mere Man, and yet now I tell you true. My name is Percival Clayton, and I am born the Lord of the Pigeons!

-Percival Clayton, aka Percy Pigeon, aka The Birdman of Hyde Park

Percival Clayton claims to have been raised by pigeons. His claims are clearly mad, and yet, the man has a way with all sorts of birds. They seem to answer his calls, to do tricks for him, even the most wild. Then there's the way he can move and climb, the way he can almost fly if he can get his hands on a big coat and find someplace to jump from. It's insane, and yet, sometimes you wonder. Could he really be the Lord of the Pigeons?

And where the heck did he learn to pilot a biplane?

Personality/Motivation: Percival is very likely mad, but has never let this get in his way. He is kind, decent, charitable to a fault, and completely sincere in his belief that he was raised in the park by pigeons. Percival will try to find what work he can as an amateur sleuth, pilot, information broker, entertainer and bird trainer, and will then use the profits to maintain his minimalist lifestyle and support the many homeless people and stray animals he considers to be his family. Percival has been called the Lord of the City, albeit not by anyone sober, and he tries to live up to this title by keeping his people, and his pigeons, safe.

Quote: Come to me my Pigeon friends! Coo-oo-oo, oo-oo-oo-oo!

Powers/Tactics: Percival has a broad range of well developed urban skills, and is a competent detective when told whom to follow and what to look for. He is also a surprisingly good pilot and gunner despite his claims not to have received formal training. He never gets lost. His other abilities start to get a bit odd.

By cooing, preening, and posing in various odd ways, Percival actually seems able to converse with birds. They don't have much to say, but what there is he can follow. He has even shown the ability to call local pigeons to him given time, and can convince them to perform simple tricks.

Perhaps most amazingly, his rail thin body's wiry strength and any good long coat or cape will allow Percy to very nearly fly, or at least glide. Together with his remarkable climbing skill and ability to leap, this often allows Percival to get from place to place in the city faster than a man in a motor car, and to gain access to the rooftops.

Percival has developed an unorthodox style of hand to hand fighting that makes good use of his mobility and speed.

Campaign Use: Tarzan meets Batman in the 1920s. Strange urban protector of the downtrodden, pilot, and street lunatic.

Appearance: Percival is a rail thin yet strong looking street person, badly shaven, un-bathed and foul smelling, with watery blue eyes and blond hair. He almost always wears the longest coat he can find.

Character by Robert Dorf, 2005

Can only Summon 4 pigeons? If ever there was a creature meant to be Summoned in extremely large numbers, the pigeon is it.

16 minimum. 200+ a good idea. Or just use 'a s***load of pigeons' as the special effect for FF (pigeon interception:eg:), Flash (pigeon in your face:ugly:), Darkness (Pigeon swarm:confused:), Flight (On pigeon's wings:doi:) AEH Radius EB (when pigeons attack!:nonp:)...

But LS vs. disease would be a must.sick.gif Or a environmantal suit.:dyn

Great. Now it's in my head, I've gotta work this one out...:help: