Unusual Powers

Cassandra

Recently I created a 250 Batman with his Batplane, Batboat, and Batmobile by putting them into his Utility Belt, the rationalization being that he would keep his remote control for them there. That makes me think that sometimes a comic book hero's power is so strange or unusuall that it would be hard to simulate without having a 1000 point character. As someone from the "less is more" school, I've been thinking about ways to do so on a budget.

Aquaman, for example, has control over sea creatures. How to simulate that? Followers would be one way, but costly. I've come up with this . . .

Multipower (30 Points) Indirect [Any Direction] (+3/4), Only in Water (-1 1/2), 1/2 END (+1/4)

u) EB 6d6

u) Entangle 3d6, DEF 3

u) Telekinesis 20 STR

30 Points

Re: Unusual Powers

True, points should be based on what it does, not the special effect. If you want fish to ram or hold or push someone around, you can buy that directly. No RKA if you don't think Aquaman would have his fish bite or otherwise pierce his opponents--I don't recall him ever doing that, but maybe he had an Iron Age makeover I missed. Summon would be another valid build, and probably not too pricy if you're not summoning whales and sharks and such.

I'll agree with the 'less is more' approach, but how would you do somebody like DC's Animal Man. He usually has very low points in use, being only able to copy the abilities of rats, pigeons an similar animals found in cities. As he said back in an old JLI issue, 'Why is there never a rhinceros around when you need one?" But back in '52' he duped the abilities of a Sun Eater... A photovore for crying out loud, which is a huge difference in his normal ability levels. How do you model such extremes of point usage?

Regarding any unusual boost in powers due to outside events, perhaps some kind of Independent Focus could be involved. The character write up could be modified trading some of their normal powers for a massively increased version of the same, bought as an Independent Focus. Once the Focus is gone, they can go back to the previous stats.

I'll agree with the 'less is more' approach' date=' but how would you do somebody like DC's Animal Man. He usually has very low points in use, being only able to copy the abilities of rats, pigeons an similar animals found in cities. As he said back in an old JLI issue, 'Why is there never a rhinceros around when you need one?" But back in '52' he duped the abilities of a Sun Eater... A photovore for crying out loud, which is a huge difference in his normal ability levels. How do you model such extremes of point usage?[/quote']

For normal animal power manifestation, VPP. For huge plot device sun-eating creature power manifestation? GM privilege. Or, if you prefer, Plot Device.

Not everything that advances the story and/or aids the characters has to be paid for in points, especially if it's unlikely to ever be used again.

Just my couple o' pennies...

Aquaman, for example, has control over sea creatures. How to simulate that? Followers would be one way, but costly. I've come up with this . . .

Multipower (30 Points) Indirect [Any Direction] (+3/4), Only in Water (-1 1/2), 1/2 END (+1/4)

u) EB 6d6

u) Entangle 3d6, DEF 3

u) Telekinesis 20 STR

30 Points

Well you could add "appropriate Fish

of opportunity; -½", like if you wanted entangle you needed some kind of octopus. You want Killing damage you need sword fish. etc...

Recently I created a 250 Batman with his Batplane, Batboat, and Batmobile by putting them into his Utility Belt, the rationalization being that he would keep his remote control for them there. That makes me think that sometimes a comic book hero's power is so strange or unusuall that it would be hard to simulate without having a 1000 point character. As someone from the "less is more" school, I've been thinking about ways to do so on a budget.

u) EB 6d6

u) Entangle 3d6, DEF 3

u) Telekinesis 20 STR

30 Points

I designed a "summoner" character exemplifying this sort of idea years ago...Mythic