The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

Barton

Guest steamteck

Re: The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

Individual bits were ok. Most of the action sequences were fu but uninspired. Looking at the subject and the cast I should of really liked this film but....

I felt Brendan Fraiser was toned down to let the kid shine and he just didn't have the spark. Maria Bello was Ok until you remembered Rachel Weist then arg!. Most of the cast seemed horribly underutilized as the the exotic location. The whole movie in fact lacked the spark and personality that made the first Mummy one of my favorite movies ever.

Dragon Emperor is worth seeing .. once, if you're not expecting thee same level of film as the first or even the 2nd Mummy.

Guest steamteck

Nothing but love for RW, but . . .

. . . it's a MUMMY movie! How irreplaceable could anyone be? :D

Pretty much completely if they're going to have the Character in it at all IMO.

Frankly if they had a different Evie they needed a different Rick also. Probably a different Jonathon also. None of the returning actors seemed to relate to her 1/10th as well as to Rachel Weiz and visa versa. The interpersonal magic was just not there and it seriously damaged a movie which already had some strong narrative weaknesses. As well as a very forgettable mummy performance ( sorry jet usually love you) compared to Arnold Vosloo.

Despite the spectacular SFX, IMO the core of the first Mummy film is really the fun, interesting characters and their interactions. Almost all the supporting players had their own moments to shine, and even Imhotep had some tragic depth. The producers of the later films have shown increasing obsession with digital spectacle. I keep hoping against hope that filmmakers will remember past precedents demonstrating that "bigger/ louder/ flashier" does not equal "better" or "more popular." :rolleyes:

Guest steamteck

Despite the spectacular SFX' date=' IMO the core of the first [i']Mummy[/i] film is really the fun, interesting characters and their interactions. Almost all the supporting players had their own moments to shine, and even Imhotep had some tragic depth. The producers of the later films have shown increasing obsession with digital spectacle. I keep hoping against hope that filmmakers will remember past precedents demonstrating that "bigger/ louder/ flashier" does not equal "better" or "more popular." :rolleyes:

exactly! Perfectly put.The essence that has been lost.

Despite the spectacular SFX' date=' IMO the core of the first [i']Mummy[/i] film is really the fun, interesting characters and their interactions. Almost all the supporting players had their own moments to shine, and even Imhotep had some tragic depth. The producers of the later films have shown increasing obsession with digital spectacle. I keep hoping against hope that filmmakers will remember past precedents demonstrating that "bigger/ louder/ flashier" does not equal "better" or "more popular." :rolleyes:

Almost all sequelized popular fiction suffers from the people making the sequels struggling to grasp what made the original good, and failing utterly, miserably, to do so. Books about a certain female detective recently discussed come to mind as another example.

Guest steamteck

Almost all sequelized popular fiction suffers from the people making the sequels struggling to grasp what made the original good' date=' and failing utterly, miserably, to do so. Books about a certain female detective recently discussed come to mind as another example.[/quote']

Nuts I can't rep you again yet! That really is a truth of recent times.