The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

Barton

Just saw the film. Much pulpy goodness, a full day's supply of fiber. The movie takes place in 1946 but the movie still has a very pulpy feel to it.

Great movie (IMHO). I enjoyed the chases (several good ones) and some great gunfights. The end battle was well done.

A very fun movie and for PulpHero GM's out there, a great source of inspiration, and possible plots.

Re: The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

All of the reviews I read about it were absolutely savage. But I enjoyed it and thought that it was better than the second mummy movie. There were one or two corny moments that I could have done without but overall it was really fun. I wouldn't mind seeing more entries in the series but I'd like to see someone besides Maria Bello as Evelyn. There just wasn't any chemistry between them.

Even counting its flaws (chiefly that I also thought Bello had no chemistry with Fraser, that the fight with Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh was too short, and someone needed to tell Rick to put the crowbar he opened the sarcophagus with upside his son's head) and the lack of Oded Fehr and Rachel Weisz, I think that this ranks higher than the second one for me. No undead pygmies in sight - thank God.

Considering that it's made right at $100 million in about 5 days - while going up against the Bat - I'm thinking that it's likely we'll see a Mummmy 4, with South American mummies.

Guest Admiral C

I haven't seen it yet but I've heard awful things about it. Still plan on seeing it though. :thumbup:

Saw Indy KOTCS and could appreciate of what it was trying to do, even if it meant letting go of pulp and embracing atomic horror. Hopefully this will give my pulp fix for a while.

Even counting its flaws (chiefly that I also thought Bello had no chemistry with Fraser, that the fight with Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh was too short, and someone needed to tell Rick to put the crowbar he opened the sarcophagus with upside his son's head) and the lack of Oded Fehr and Rachel Weisz, I think that this ranks higher than the second one for me. No undead pygmies in sight - thank God.

Considering that it's made right at $100 million in about 5 days - while going up against the Bat - I'm thinking that it's likely we'll see a Mummmy 4, with South American mummies.

at the end of the novel jonathan went to peru where he thinks there are no mummies so maybe you're right

They got Maria Bello (Payback, History of Violence) to play Fraser's wife.

I also though Yeoh should have gotten more screen time, since she was probably the best actress in the piece.

The mention that mummies were found in South America after the brother leaves for there to escape mummies . . . so no bet, it's a sure thing.

Not that big a fan of Oded Fahr, not when you compare him to Jet Li. :)

I . . . really didn't like this movie. Which is odd because I'm usually up for some Pulp and don't need a whole lot of reality to it.

My biggest complaint is the whole movie feels like they left 75% of the story on the cutting room floor in favor of action scene after action scene.

And I didn't like most, or any, of the throw away one-liners - which I'm a sucker for.

And I didn't like most, or any, of the throw away one-liners - which I'm a sucker for.

And most, if not all of them were already in the trailers which didn't help.

I didn't mind the new Evylin but she lacked the comedic timing that Rachel Weiz had. There was at least more chemistry between Maria and Brandon than there was between the two kids. While the girl playing Michelle Yoe's daughter was a hottie I felt no connection what so ever on her part. I didn't even get an impression that she had any interest in kid O'Connel until the script started bashing you over the head with it.

I also think the Director made a lot of poor choices in this one. I thought it felt like a lot of story was cut as well and there was way to much slo-mo going on. You have two of the most well known martial arts actors on the screen and their fight lasts for about three seconds AND is in slo-mo! WTF! That's the most amazing thing about watching martial arts movie actors is their speed in a well choreographed fight.

I will say that it was worth seeing because, how many pulp movies do we get these days? It wasn't bad, it just wasn't great.

I didn't even get an impression that she had any interest in kid O'Connel until the script started bashing you over the head with it.

Wooden as a fence post. When she is happy to give up her immortality, it doesn't seem to have ANYTHING to do with the fact that she'll be "free" to date the kid. Kind of a nebulous relationship to give up eternity for, IMHO.

Her lack of ability was distracting.

Saw it this morning... Roughly on par with the second movie, perhaps a little better due to appealing Chinese historical theme and visuals. Was there any character development at all in this film? John Hannah got the best lines, as ever, but that's all his character is, just a few lines. The only person given any chance to act was Michelle Yeoh (well, I suppose that Maria Bello, Luke Ford and Isabella Leong had the chance to act, but they appeared to lack the talent to take the opportunity) and even her character was given short shrift, with little to get her teeth into once the Emperor and his undead former general had returned.

A bit of a disappointment, all in all, given how much potential was there. My girlfriend put it well when she said that there were no surprises in the picture, just an inevitable plot sequence and lots of (often very well put-together) action pieces. Entertaining, but nothing more. There are just too many core characters to focus on, given the miserly way the dialogue was spread around.