Justice League of America (Silver Age)

Cassandra

Re: Justice League of America (Silver Age)

Limitations on a slot only affect the point cost of the slot and the utility of the power.

Think of it this way: In a 60 Active Point MP, you have 60 active points to divide among powers.

A -1 limitation on a 60 active point slot only reduces the real points you pay for the slot. Unlike a VPP, if all 60 active points are in that slot, despite the -1 limit there are no "saved" active points to put into another slot.

It's one of the main reasons that VPPs are often so much more efficient than MPs for characters with long lists of powers that they only occasionally use.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 th editon (no revised) page 206, first column, under fixed slots "The amount of reserve points which must be put into the slot quals the Active Points in the power in the slot"second column, under Flexible slot has much the same wording, but puts in the word maximum...

this is actualy a thing I hope gets changed in 5th edition

I don't.

This balances with VPP in that a character with a limitation on the MP (say, an OAF) gets a limitation on the reserve, while the same character with a VPP gets no limit on the reserve, but can have two powers with Reserve AP.

As an example, let's use a character with OAF, and he wants 2 60 AP slots active at a time. He buys a 120 AP multipower and pays 60 for the reserve plus 3 per slot for 10 slots each 60 AP Ultras. He can use two slots at a time and the reserve cost 60 points.

He has more powers, so now he wants a VPP. He buys a 60 point reserve, and all powers must have OAF. He has a Cosmic VPP so he can swap slots at will so it's like his MP, so he pays 45 for the control cost (he made the switch at the time he would have bought his 15th MP slot).* He can have 2 60 AP powers active at one time, since each uses 30 points of the reserve. And he paid the same 60 points for the reserve.

If I used Real Points to limit slot use in the Multi, this character would get the benefit of that OAF twice, once limiting the cost of the pool and again enhancing the slots it can run simultaneously. That's not fair, in my view.

I am deleting this post, I do this as I do not want to take Cassandra's fun thread into a discusion on the pro/con of changing the MP rules in 6th, I return you to the excelent write ups, and the MP rules issue as it is in 5th edition

Batman, Robin, and Batgirl redone.

I put up a second Multipower with the following

Batman

Multipower (15 Points) OIF: Utility Belt (-1/2)

u) Flight 5", Variable Advantages (+1/2), OIF: Batplane (-1/2)

u) Running 16x NCM, OIF: Batmobile (-1/2)

u) Swimming +5", 8x NCM, OIF: Batboat (-1/2)

u) Swinging 15", OIF: Batline (-1/2)

Total Cost is 14 Points

I removed Contortionist, Interrogation, and Tactics to pay for it.

Batgirl and Robin

Multipower (10 Points) OIF: Utility Belt

u) Running 8x NCM, OIF: Batcycle (or Redbird) (-1/2)

u) Swinging 10", OIF: Batline (-1/2)

The cost was 9 Points, and that led to 4 points of savings used to increase Batgirl's skills, and Robin's STR.

Batman, Robin, and Batgirl redone.

I put up a second Multipower with the following

Batman

Multipower (15 Points) OIF: Utility Belt (-1/2)

u) Flight 5", Variable Advantages (+1/2), OIF: Batplane (-1/2)

u) Running 16x NCM, OIF: Batmobile (-1/2)

u) Swimming +5", 8x NCM, OIF: Batboat (-1/2)

u) Swinging 15", OIF: Batline (-1/2)

Total Cost is 14 Points

I removed Contortionist, Interrogation, and Tactics to pay for it.

Batgirl and Robin

Multipower (10 Points) OIF: Utility Belt

u) Running 8x NCM, OIF: Batcycle (or Redbird) (-1/2)

u) Swinging 10", OIF: Batline (-1/2)

The cost was 9 Points, and that led to 4 points of savings used to increase Batgirl's skills, and Robin's STR.

I would stick bulky onto the vehicles as well

Just for kicks, I've been comparing the various sidekick characters who were members of the Silver Age Teen Titans with how they performed in the early issues of that book.

Basically, Cassandra's versions aren't really intended to represent them in that context, and, frankly, it shows. That's not a bad thing, just a thing.

An example: Wonder Girl didn't always wear her bracelets. Therefore the Disadvantages related to them aren't really appropriate. Furthermore, she never fought any of Wonder Woman's opponents during this period, and she didn't adventure alongside WW the way Robin did with Batman. (In fact, she wasn't actually a sidekick.) Her lasso didn't seem to have mind control functions, nor did she wear a tiara.

In short, simply cutting down Wonder Woman doesn't adequately represent the character as she appeared in the Teen Titans. The same is true to a lesser degree of the other Titans.

In some cases, of course, things get even more complicated. Wonder Girl wasn't actually a sidekick, and didn't (reguarly) work alongside Wonder Woman. Kid Flash was only a part-time sidekick at best, and usually operated solo. Both of these characters, then, really only require a single character sheet to represent how they operate.

But what about Robin and Aqualad? (And Speedy too, when he became a full-time Titan.) They spent most of their time working alongside their mentors, and their character sheets should probably reflect this. But the way they operated in the Titans was rather different. There is a case for having two distinct versions of the characters!

All a bit brainhurting, really. I'm happy enough to stick with Cassandra's versions. ;)

Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5

18 DEX 24

18 CON 16

11 BODY 2

18 INT 8

11 EGO 2

20 PRE 10

18 COM 4

8 PD 5

6 ED 2

4 SPD 12

7 REC 0

36 END 0

30 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 90

Cost Skills

3 Acting 13-

3 Bribery 13-

3 Bureaucratics 13-

2 CK: Metropolis 11-

3 Computer Programming 13-

2 Contact: Brainiac 11-

2 Contact: Joker 11-

3 Conversation 13-

5 Eidetic Memory

3 Electronics 13-

30 Followers: Superman Revenge Squad [4x 100+ Disadvantages]

3 High Society 13-

3 Inventor 13-

3 Lightning Calculator

3 Mechanics 13-

15 Money: Filthy Rich

2 PS: Industrialist 11-

3 Persuasion 13-

3 Security Systems 13-

10 SL: Overall +1

3 Streetwise 13-

3 Systems Operation 13-

Total Skills Cost: 110

Cost Powers

14 Armor +6 PD +6 ED, IIF: Concealed Body Armor (-1/4)

11 Change Environment: Kryptonite Radiation, AE 2"r, Always On (-1/2), Persistent No END (+1), IIF: Kryptonite Ring (-1/4)

22 Multipower (30 Points) Variable Special Effect [Any] (+1/2), OAF: Inventions (-1)

1 u) EB 6d6, [16c] (-0), OAF: Weapons (-1)

1 u) Entangle 3d6, DEF 3, [16c] (-0), OAF: Traps (-1)

1 u) Teleport 10km, Megascale (+1/4), Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4), [16c] (-0), OAF: Emergency Escape Device (-1)

Total Powers Cost: 50

Total Cost: 250

150+ Disadvantages

15 Hunted: Superman (As Powerful/NCI) 8-

20 Normal Characteristics Maxima

20 PsyL: Arrogant (Common/Total)

10 PsyL: Hatred of Superman (Uncomon/Strong)

20 PsyL: Megalomaniac (Common/Total)

15 SocL: Famous (Frequently/Major)

Total Disadvantages Cost: 250

Lex Luthor Explained

My version of Lex Luthor is a mastermind. As such he has many skills that allow him to gather information, modify existing systems or weapons, and organize supervillains. The Superman Revenge Squad are a group of villains he finances to go after the Man of Steel.

I gave him a multipower with any special effect because Luthor is a villain who is ready for anything. If he confront Superman it's a Kryptonite Death Ray. If it's the Martian Manhunter, a fire entangle to use his susceptibility against him. The Megascale Teleport is his way of escaping when his plan fails.

Found this online:

The Superman Revenge Squad

The Superman Revenge Squad is an alliance of super-villains who have - as the gang's name infers - a grudge against the Man of Steel. In pre-Crisis times, the Superman Revenge Squad was a coalition of intergalactic criminal masterminds. Utilizing advanced/alien technologies, this gang repeatedly challenged Superman, but was eventually defeated. Normally, there was never a stand-out member of the Revenge Squad, as it wasn't comprised of Superman's arch-enemies. The Superman Revenge Squad would distinguish itself by attacking our hero in unison, in a united effort to eliminate the Man of Tomorrow. One assemblage of the Revenge Squad tried to employ Eterno - an invincible, titanic android - in order to annihilate Superman. This plot ended in doom, as the Revenge Squad was wiped out, unable to control Eterno. Another formation of the Superman Revenge Squad attacked both Superman and Batman, as it united with the Batman Revenge Squad. This incarnation of the SRS appeared in bald heads, possibly to honor Lex Luthor; and wore rogue versions of the Superman costume, with the S-shield made out of kryptonite, so that Superman wouldn't be able to harm the individual members. Despite the flamboyant fatigues, the SRS and the BRS met defeat.

In post-Crisis continuity, Morgan Edge formed his own version of the Superman Revenge Squad, this one composed of notorious super-villains: Anomaly, Barrage, Maxima, Misa, and Riot were united to take out Superman. However, a definite lack of cohesion, and conflicting agendas allowed Superman to overcome the Squad. Later the Superman Revenge Squad reformed: Rock, Parasite, Barrage and Baud. Superman managed to defeat them as well.

First Appearance: (Historical) ACT #286 (March 1962)

First Apperance: (Post-Crisis) AOS #543 (February 1997)

I'd say personally, I'd like to see Lex working with:

Brainiac (with that skull ship.. )

Metallo

Bizarro

Mister Mxyzptlk

Parasite

Solomon Grundy

Ultra-Humanite

Prankster (Oswald Lomis)

Toyman

General Zod!

Darkseid

Mongul

There is also a one man band from Croydon called Superman Revenge Squad.