FH Magic Options

ShadowRaptor

Hi all, been a long time since I posted on here (due to lack of internet) and its great to be back.

Okay...I know the FH book just came out, and I lack the $$$ to purchase it (plus, my LGS won't order it unless somebody special orders it)...so I am curious about how the book handles Magic...

What are the various options Steve mentions in the book on how to handle magic? Any information would be cool to know, so when I do get the book someday (not anytime soon though :( ) I will know what to expect.

Anyone feeling like passing on some info my way. :)

I don't actually have the book with me.

FH stops short of having a default magic system. Instead there are guidelines for around eight to ten different magic systems for swords & sorcery, rune magic, and naming magic, to name a few. The idea is that you can pick the magic flavor you want and then use the nonspecific guidelines in FH to write your own magic system.

Actually, there's a HUGE section that helps you figure out everything about how you want to do a magic system, starting with the feel and flavor and then getting to the actual rules specifics later.

I was REALLY impressed with this section. I've been playing Hero for [actual number of years deleted: too long], and although I was thrilled to buy another Fantasy Hero, I wasn't sure there was going to be much in it. Well, there's plenty, and the Magic section was worth it for me. I'm working on a new Fantasy Hero campaign and the book came out at exactly the right time.

there are a number of options presented in the book. I really like the Chaos Blades version, and will probably incorporate it into my campaign.

The only problem with the sample systems is that they only provide you with the bare basics. I'd love to see a book detailing each of them.

For that matter, how would you define the power Chaos Blades get when they kill each other? I'm not too sure, though I suspect it is some kind of attribute enhancement with a long duration. Any ideas?