Theme song for characters

countsolomon

Every hero needs a theme song, just watch I'm gonna get ya sucka!

For this upcoming game it would be pure Foxbat Awesomeness if every hero could have his/her own in-game theme song.

There are a couple of ways i was thinking this will go. Player initiated, or server initiated. when the player can start his/her own theme song, well, i'll take spam eggs and spam.

Server initiated sounds like the way to go. for instance player A wants to start a team, he invites player B. when they meet up player A's song will play, then player B. When C joins up his song plays when he encounters the group, then player D and so on.

another idea is when the player, in a group or solo, defeats a boss or story villain, or when a player does something exceptional with his powers.

A note on player songs, i was thinking a certain point you get to choose a premade one, and later on after a special set of missions/story arc, you get to choose your song and have it uploaded.

Other ideas that should be discussed is if it should be an option to turn on/off in settings. A visual cue of some sort that shows the song is being played might add to this.

discuss.

Re: Theme song for characters

This would be easy to do with itunes. I like this idea. The songs would have to have an instant impact. I use Garage Band on a Mac and use the jingles. I started using them in my classroom as a way of answering student questions. They just got used to it.

It's a media studies class after all.

Theme songs for my CoX characters[All Heroes on Triumph]

Mr. Tonga[Martial Arts/Regen Scrapper]: Tai Kwan Leap... The Frantics

Miss Boom Boom[Assault Rifle/Devices Blaster]: Roland the headless thompson gunner... Warren Zevon

Cool Hand Nuke[ice/radiation Controller]: Plastic Jesus on my Dashboard

CaptPlatypus[spines/Regen Scrapper]: Purple Haze... Jimmy Hendrix

There's only one problem I can see with giving each character a player-chosen theme song server-side: royalties. If you're uploading a professionally-recorded song to the server so that everyone who plays with your charcter can hear it, someone (probably Cryptic/2K) is going to have to come up with compensation for the original artist (and probably the composers/lyricists as well). Assuming even 20,000 players with five characters each, that would be one hundred thousand songs, each of which require some amount of payment to the creators of the music. At even $500 per song (lowballing the estimate by at least one order of magnitude!) that would be fifty million dollars in expenses for a feature which honestly wouldn't add all that much to the game......

Honestly, I see character theme songs as more a professional-wrestling concept than a superhero one. Maybe that's because my comics don't come with soundtracks, though ^_-