Sauron's Fingers

CorpCommander

Ok, was doing laundry and watching "The Fellowship of the Ring" on DVD. As happens often I think about what is happening in Hero terms.

Sauron basically has all of his powers locked into an OIF with the disadvantage Independent I believe. When he lost it, he lost all life force and corpreal body form. It takes 3,000 years for him to return to life powerful enough to start calling the One Ring again. (Discussion of the ring is worthy of it's own thread, but lets ignore it for now - the point here is how to get an inaccessible focus.

Ok, since it is Inaccessible the only way to get it was to strike at Sauron's hand. How much body was needed To sever just the fingers? 1/3 of Sauron's total or something lower? How about 1/10th? 1/3rd is the suggested FRED amount for severing an extremity.

How much armor is at that point? Is there a guideline to follow?

What kind of minus to OCV was needed to hit just the fingers?

In thinking about it I would say you'd need 1/5th body to sever just the fingers, armor for the glove would depend. If you were doing a campaign where you tracked all of the bits of armor (sadistic GM) then you'd just go by that, otherwise I'd say the armor was 1/3rd rounded in favor of Sauron. As for OCV penalty, I don't think -8 is out of line. What say you?

Well it is important to remember that the film did not precisely depict the events of the last alliance. In that particular case Sauron's finger was not choped off until after he had killed and been killed by Elendil and Gilgalad. Isuldur then walked up and severed the finger off of an already dead Sauron. Not quite as heroic as the movie portrays it. :D

However ignoring that point and looking at just the movie. Hitting a hand is a -6 OCV. Hiting a specifc finger on a hand would be like hiting a leg on a full size character. A leg shot gives a -4 OCV so I would make hitting a specific finger a -10. Getting all the fingers like was done in the movie would only carry the -6. However losing a finger would result in an impairment. So I think you should do enough damage to impair the limb. Or 1/2 the character's total body. If you want to take off all the fingers or the hand, that would be equivalent to disabling or a single shot doing 1x the character's body.

"On the slopes of Mount Doom, their great army drove back the Dark Lord's forces; but there Gilgalad, though as an immortal elf-lord he was never born to die, perished beneath the heat of Sauron's hand; and Elendil fell, too, breaking beneath him his legendary greatsword Narsil, which had been forged in the First Age by the dwarves. His son Isuldur, prince of Gondor, took up the shard and with its sharp edge struck from the Dark Lord's hand the One Ring, thus breaking at last his will and power."

I would say it went something like this...

GM: "...ok. Elendil is dead. Gilgalad is at -14 Body and -47 Stun and will die next phase. Narsil is broken. Isuldor, as you kneel beside your fathers wrecked body, you realize he is beyond help. Then...your world becomes terror. The awsome power of Dark Lord Sauron's presence is focused directly on your back. You can feel the heat of his gaze as he takes notice of you. You hear a thump as he takes a step towards you. What do you do?"

Isuldor: "THIS ISN'T HAPPENING! Damn! Are there any weapons near me?"

GM: "Sure, your broken spear, your dagger, and the shattered Narsil."

Isuldor: "Can I run for it?"

Gm: "Not likely. Sauron will get a shot at your back. And he hasn't missed all day."

Isuldor: Christ! I'm at -6 Body. I won't survive another hit. I may as well go out swinging. I grab what's left of Narsil and swing at Sauron with everything I've got...all my OCV levels into damage. I roll a 3!!! That's a crit. Max damage! That's 21 Body! To the...6?!? Ahh man..."

...and the rest is history

You forgot to add..

Player1: "This scenario is a crock of shit. You just wiped out the party!"

GM: "Just roll your dice."

Player1: "Hey, just because you had a bad week isn't an excuse to take it out on us. I mean really! This guy is more bogus than Dr. Destroyer! Even Steve Long would think its starting to get rediculous! What does he have for strength, like 500???"

...ah, player griping. Gotta love it.

yeah, tell me about it.

I just had a player get mad at me last weekend because his character threw a fireball at a white dragon. The fireball caught the dragon's treasure in its radius. If you know anything about 3E DnD then you know unattended items automatically fail a save and are destroyed. Magic items get a save. Hehe...killed a dragon and they got +3 chainmail from it becasue that was the only thing to survive.

Originally posted by rayoman

yeah, tell me about it.

I just had a player get mad at me last weekend because his character threw a fireball at a white dragon. The fireball caught the dragon's treasure in its radius. If you know anything about 3E DnD then you know unattended items automatically fail a save and are destroyed. Magic items get a save. Hehe...killed a dragon and they got +3 chainmail from it becasue that was the only thing to survive.

I'd let them have all the gold, silver, and copper. Melted together into a solid two ton blob.:D

Assuming, of course, that the magic items were not also destroyed or damaged by the fireball (or immersion in molton metal).

"You find several blobs of glass in hollow pockets, which could once have been potion bottles. There is some condensation, so that may be the potions. A streak of ashes may once have been a book of spells, a scroll or something similar. There is a streak of different-coloured metal which is roughly circular - it could have been a ring..."

A truly cruel GM would significantky enhance the treasure which you would have gotten if ol' flamy weren't so quick on the draw (or at least describe it in those terms). :(

There was mostly coins and cheap gems (like 1,500 1 gp gems) and a couple of non-potion and non-scroll magic items. They chipped and dug the chainmail out and left the rest.

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

Assuming, of course, that the magic items were not also destroyed or damaged by the fireball (or immersion in molton metal).