5th edition needs..

BrandonBussell

I am an old gamer...i still have my 3 copies of the original champions at my parents house.

However... I am leaping back into Champs and want 5th edition.

I have the champions 5th edition already ordered and was wondering if most thought buying the main Heroes 5th book would be beneficial.

I am putting together a gritty pseudoreality capmaign so I htink maybe 5th might be good to have, but what extra does it really grant?

thanks for the input

bb

One of the great things about Champions is that all that is truely needed is FREd. With all the other books, they assume that you already possess FREd and only expand one some aspect of the game. While FREd will not have any characters to through at the PCs, they will be easy enough to create and, unlike other games that require several books just to keep even, FREd will provide all aspects in a concise manner. The only book that I have is FREd and do not feel lost in any manner. As OddHat has already stated there has been alot of changes from the BBB to FREd, although most of these have to do with powers and some talents were made into skills, new talents, skills, and perks were added. One big improvement is that the abilities of attacks and their respective defense has been greatly equalized.

Just to make sure it's clear for you, Brandon: FREd is a common nickname around here for the 5th Edition rulebook (supposedly stands for "Fifth Rules Edition," although there's a story behind that). BBB was 4th Edition Champions (the "Big Blue Book").

Your new 5E Champions genre book, while full of excellent genre, GM, and campaign advice, plus a fair number of pregenerated characters, powers, bases and vehicles, and a pretty good random character generator, contains none of the rules to play the game. Plenty of suggestions on how to adapt the rules to the superhero genre, but the actual game mechanics are in the 5E rulebook.

It would be possible to use 5E Champions with the 4E rules, although you would see a number of small changes and a few big ones between the editions which might give you pause. OTOH, the new edition of the rules is clearer and less ambiguous, generally better organized, and gives you many more options and far greater flexibility than the earlier ruleset. I would highly recommend it.