Physcial menifestations of mental attacks - did I build this right?

Great Beyond

Hey guys - I'd like to bounce something off you and make sure I built this right. I wanted to give Scarlet Arrow an attack that - well, conceptually, it's a arrow with a really loud whistle that disrupts concentration and attacks against ego, basically something that's perfect for really, really tough tankers (who buff the hell out of defenses, but tend to leave the ECV and ego lower). In short, a mental attack in a physical form.

Of course, since it's an arrow (and Scarlet isn't a mentalist with high mental attack CV's), I wanted to use her OCV. Going through the book, I think I've got it built right, with the advantage Based on EGO Combat Value meaning that I attack with the OCV, but it applies against the targets ECV (and appropriate mental defenses). Am I reading that correctly?

Sonic Arrow: Energy Blast 6d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defenses apply; +1), Range Modifiers Apply (-1/4), Area Of Effect (6" Radius; +1)

If that's NOT the correct application of game mechanics, how would one go about building something like this?

Re: Physcial menifestations of mental attacks - did I build this right?

Hey guys - I'd like to bounce something off you and make sure I built this right. I wanted to give Scarlet Arrow an attack that - well, conceptually, it's a arrow with a really loud whistle that disrupts concentration and attacks against ego, basically something that's perfect for really, really tough tankers (who buff the hell out of defenses, but tend to leave the ECV and ego lower). In short, a mental attack in a physical form.

Of course, since it's an arrow (and Scarlet isn't a mentalist with high mental attack CV's), I wanted to use her OCV. Going through the book, I think I've got it built right, with the advantage Based on EGO Combat Value meaning that I attack with the OCV, but it applies against the targets ECV (and appropriate mental defenses). Am I reading that correctly?

Sonic Arrow: Energy Blast 6d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defenses apply; +1), Range Modifiers Apply (-1/4), Area Of Effect (6" Radius; +1)

If that's NOT the correct application of game mechanics, how would one go about building something like this?

Actually I would consider NND or AVLD (Hearing Flash Defense) more appropriate than BOECV for this type of thing. But that's just me...

Well, I've already got an NND and Hearing flash in a couple of other powers, so I'm covered there. Really as far as the concept goes, the whistle/sonic thing is just for color, so dont get too hung up on it. Sonic arrow, pyschotropic arrow - doesnt really matter much.

Running the stats through Hero Designer produces the following:

105 Energy Blast 6d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect (8" Radius; +1), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense applies; +1), Range Modifiers Apply (-1/4), Attacker Chooses Defense (+1/2) (105 Active Points) [Notes: (Hero System Fifth Edition Rule Book, page 162; Revised, page 253) Powers which are Based On ECV (BOECV) use an Attack Roll based on ECV rather than on normal Combat Value.]

112 Energy Blast 6d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect (8" Radius; +1), Attack Versus Limited Defense (Mental Defense; +1 1/2) (112 Active Points)

Sonic Arrow: Energy Blast 6d6' date=' Personal Immunity (+1/4), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defenses apply; +1), Range Modifiers Apply (-1/4), Area Of Effect (6" Radius; +1)[/i']

Ignoring the "sonic arrow sounds like AVLD Sound Flash Defense" issue, I'd call this an AVLD versus mental defense. What difference does it make whether it attacks ECV if it's Area Effect?

Ignoring the "sonic arrow sounds like AVLD Sound Flash Defense" issue' date=' I'd call this an AVLD versus mental defense. What difference does it make whether it attacks ECV if it's Area Effect?[/quote']

Yeah, I didn't get that either, unless you are trying to use it as an area anti-personnel weapon. It looks to be really pricey for what it can do.

I'd recommend using Explosion Nonselective for a single point source sound-based weapon rather than Area Effect. You'd still get effects (of a weakening intensity) out to a 6" radius, it seems more appropriate/plausible for what's actually happening, and it'd be less expensive to boot.

Yeah, the area effect was just brainstorming* that I'll probably pull. Lets assume a single target attack instead.

*Actually it was more of me adding it by accident. Everything else I was working on was Area Effect, so I added it by rote.

Ok, lets try this again, since I think I didnt make myself clear. Ingore all the other mis-steps in the power like area effect and whatnot. Is the best way for a non-mentalist type to hit someone in their mental weakspot to use Based On EGO Combat Value? Am I reading that correctly, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Ok' date=' lets try this again, since I think I didnt make myself clear. Ingore all the other mis-steps in the power like area effect and whatnot. Is the best way for a non-mentalist type to hit someone in their mental weakspot to use Based On EGO Combat Value? Am I reading that correctly, or am I barking up the wrong tree?[/quote']

That depends on what your definition of a 'mental weak spot' is.

Your original build works if it's a matter of being easier to hit (ECV vs. DCV) but this also affects the attacker's chance to hit (ECV vs. OCV).

AVLD defined as Mental Defense seems like a more direct translation. AOE 1 Hex Accurate or CSL's can increase the chance to hit but the ALVD determines how much extra damage the attack does (compared to a normal EB or Punch).

That depends on what your definition of a 'mental weak spot' is.

Well, the original thinking was that Tankers generally (tho not as a universal rule) tend to have high PDs and EDs and low egos and ECVs. This would be the attack of last resort if Scarlet's normal attacks and drains and flashes dont work. A "Oh well, nothing else is working - I wonder if I can make their brain sizzle?" attack.

Assuming a high ocv Moderate ecv PC

Taking a normal eb and...

using your ecv vs the targets ecv to hit and applying mental defense to the damage is... +1 BOECV

using your ocv vs their dcv and having mental defense apply to the damage is ... +1.5 AVLD

having your ocv attack their ECV and having mental defense apply vs the damage is... not in the book iirc but its clearly better than the AVLD so i would place it around +2 for the hero you describe.