Reworking or Replacing Villains who don't fit

incrdbil

As much as I love CKC, sometimes, I just have to completey rework a villain for my campaign. So, I thought I'd open up a 'flea market' of reworked villains to offer to others, and maybe even benefit from some creative inspiration.

Currently, I'm having some creative block replacing BloodStone of the Crowns of Krim. It's not that I hate him, but his powers will be completely useless against the PC's in my Stellar Knights campaign, who in their primary forms don't have blood. So I'm seeking alternative ideas, for a new demon as a Blood Demon just wont be suitable, and I welcome any input.

Ok, thats the 'ask', here's the give portion.

My first offering is my re-worked Binder of the Ultimates.

A glue gun is just too silly for my Stellar Knights setting. It's a bit more realistic as a setting, and the idea of a huge tank of glue was conflicting with that, along with the ability to treat seriously a villain whose main ability was..well, gluing things together.

So I justaltered him. Instead of glue, Boner was a scientist who worked a method of affectign the ways molecules bound to each other. He developed a process that coud bind almost anything together on a molecular level, or sever those bindings. His gun has a power supply that allows him to fire away without worry. His entangles work on binding things together ona molecular level. I left the ability to form barriers since it shouldnt be too hard to justify creating soem form of barrer out of the surroundings. In some situations, he couldnt do that, and in others he can do more than just make a simple barrier, so the special effect seems to balance out.

This changed his entangles, of course, in terms of advantages. They all became 'not affected by outside attacks). And I added in some nasty suprises. a Deadly Binding, that occurred when somethign living is bound to something..not. A complete merge transformation (mainly used vs objects) that completely merged some functioning object into something..not. I gave him a few slots based in 'unbinding' objects--a Body Drain only vs Inorganics, and tunneling for a surprise. I tssed in an emergency Force field to make him tough for one or two fights-to represent Binders planning ability, but make him vulnerabel over extended fights or being caught by suprise.

A few general boost to make him combat viable..and a new, improved Binder for my camapign. Maybe someone out there will get use out of him. This is the low-powered version, for real fun, pump the multipower up to about 180 points.

Binder

Player: 

Val	Char	Cost
15	STR	5
20	DEX	30
20	CON	20
12	BODY	4
23	INT	13
14	EGO	8
20	PRE	10
4	COM	-3

20/35	PD	5
20/35	ED	4
5	SPD	20
7	REC	0
40	END	0
40	STUN	10

6"	RUN	0
2"	SWIM	0
3"	LEAP	0
Characteristics Cost: 126

Cost	Power
83	Molecular Binding Gun: Multipower, 124-point reserve, all slots OIF (-1/2)
8u	2)  Wide Binding Field: Entangle 3d6, 4 DEF, Cannot Be Escaped With Teleportation (+1/4), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Area Of Effect (9" Radius; +1)
8u	3)  Area Binding: Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF, Cannot Be Escaped With Teleportation (+1/4), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2)
8u	4)  Complete Merging: Major Transform 4d6, Partial Transform (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (120 Active Points)
8u	5)  Narrow Binding: Entangle 5d6, 6 DEF, Cannot Be Escaped With Teleportation (+1/4), Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2)
5u	4)  Deadly Binding: RKA 2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), +2 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/2), NND ([standard] Power Defense, Phasing Powers; +1), Does BODY (+1) (120 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Target must be in contact with some sizeable object (not just clothes); -1/2), No Knockback (-1/4)
8u	6)  Unbinding: Tunneling 15" through 15 DEF material, x4 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (120 Active Points)
6u	7)  Unbinding II: Drain BODY 6d6, Ranged (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (120 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only vs Inorganic Objects; -1/2)
24	Armored Costume: Armor (12 PD/12 ED); OIF (-1/2)
7	Molecular Stabilization Field: Power Defense (10 points) (10 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
26	Emergency Force Field Belt: FF (15 PD/15 ED/15 Mental Defense) (45 Active Points); 2 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (-3/4)
7	Polarized Faceplate: Sight Group Flash Defense (10 points); OIF (-1/2)
7	Helmet Air Supply: Life Support  (Self-Contained Breathing); OIF (-1/2)
30	Jetboots: Flight 20", x4 Noncombat; OIF (-1/2)
6	Helmet Communicator: High Range Radio Perception (Radio Group); Sense Affected As Sight And Hearing Group As Well As Radio Group [very common Sense] (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)
3	Heat Detection Lenses: Infrared Perception (Sight Group); OIF (-1/2)
Powers Cost: 244

Cost	Martial Arts Maneuver
Generic Martial Arts
4	1)  Block:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4	2)  Dodge:  1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
4	3)  Punch:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 5d6 Strike
3	4)  Throw:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 3d6 +v/5, Target Falls
Martial Arts Cost: 15

Cost	Skill
12	+4 with Glue-Gun Multipower

3	Bureaucratics 13-
3	Combat Piloting 13-
3	Computer Programming 14-
3	Cryptography 14-
3	Demolitions 14-
3	Electronics 14-
3	Inventor 14-
1	CK: Geneva 8-
2	CK: New York 11-
3	KS: Literature 14-
3	KS: The Superhuman World 14-
2	KS: UNTIL 11-
1	Language:  French (Basic Conversation)
3	Persuasion 13-
2	PS: Play Chess 11-
3	Security Systems 14-
3	Stealth 13-
3	Systems Operation 14-
3	Tactics 14-
3	Teamwork 13-
3	TF:  Combat Aircraft, Helicopters, Large Planes, Small Planes
3	Scientist
2	1)  SS:  Chemical Engineering 14-
2	2)  SS:  Computer Science 14-
2	3)  SS:  Energy Conversion Systems 14- (3 Active Points)
2	4)  SS:  Kinetics 14-
2	5)  SS:  Mathematics 14-
2	6)  SS:  Nuclear Physics 14-
2	7)  SS:  Physics 14-
4	8)  SS:  Subatomic Physics 16-
Skills Cost: 89

Cost	Perk
15	Base: Contribution to Ultimate's base
10	Vehicle: Contribution to Starbird
Perks Cost: 25

Total Character Cost: 499

Pts.	Disadvantage
15	Distinctive Features:  Facial Scarring Concealable, Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses
20	Hunted:  US Government 8- (Occasionally), More Powerful, NCI, Harshly Punish
15	Hunted:  The Detroit Champions 8- (Occasionally), More Powerful, , Harshly Punish
20	Psychological Limitation:  Inferiority Complex Tinged With Paranoia Very Common, Strong
10	Psychological Limitation:  Sensitive About His Looks Common, Moderate
15	Reputation:  wanted and dangerous supervillain, Frequently (11-), Extreme
15	Social Limitation:  Secret Identity (Earl Whitacker) Frequently (11-), Major
Disadvantage Points: 115
Base Points: 200
Experience Required: 184
Total Experience Available: 184
Experience Unspent: 0

Re: Reworking or Replacing Villains who don't fit

Currently, I'm having some creative block replacing BloodStone of the Crowns of Krim. It's not that I hate him, but his powers will be completely useless against the PC's in my Stellar Knights campaign, who in their primary forms don't have blood. So I'm seeking alternative ideas, for a new demon as a Blood Demon just wont be suitable, and I welcome any input.

In my own games I have or had planned to introduce three additional Crowns of Krim:

Floodgate, who wears the Coral Crown (water powers -- you can use Riptide from CKC as the template);

Blight, bearer of the Forest Crown (plant and wood powers -- based on Thorn from CKC);

Hoarfrost, with the power of the Glacial Crown (cold and ice powers -- you can base him on Freon from VIPER: Coils Of The Serpent).

If you have UNTIL Superpowers Database you can season the basic villain template with appropriate powers from that book.

I had one other idea a while back for making the vampire villain Stalker from Champions Universe: News Of The World into one of the Crowns of Krim. One plot seed in CKC for Bloodstone has him discovering the power to mentally command vampires. Bloodstone tries to control Stalker, but the veteran vampire proves too strong to master, kills Bloodstone and drains his blood, and takes the Blood Crown for himself. The combination of Stalker's own vampirism, Bloodstone's enchanted blood, and the Blood Crown transforms Stalker into a being of far greater power -- possibly even a rival to Dark Seraph for leadership of the Crowns of Krim.

If you went this route you could increase all the traditional vampire powers that Stalker has: strength, durability, and rapid healing; deadly fangs; controlling the minds of others; shape changing; summoning more and more powerful "creatures of the night;" while diminishing or eliminating his weaknesses to sunlight and Holy items. Stronger and/or less restricted versions of Bloodstone's powers would also be appropriate.

I hope that helps.

Floodgate? Hoarfrost? Those names ring a bell in me, I hoped never to hear again. :idjit:

...your concepts are good though, it's just something about those names...:shock:

No need to mothball perfectly good names just because they were once attached to less-than-stellar characters. ;)

Would you prefer "Red Tide" and "Frostburn?" Also names of past characters currently languishing in limbo.

No need to mothball perfectly good names just because they were once attached to less-than-stellar characters. ;)

Would you prefer "Red Tide" and "Frostburn?" Also names of past characters currently languishing in limbo.

Well...neither character was bad in theory....just need to be re-written...which you either did or stole the names for...but don't see it as being a big deal. I redid many characters from Europeon Enemies.

Rob

In my own games I have or had planned to introduce three additional Crowns of Krim:

Floodgate, who wears the Coral Crown (water powers -- you can use Riptide from CKC as the template);

Blight, bearer of the Forest Crown (plant and wood powers -- based on Thorn from CKC);

Hoarfrost, with the power of the Glacial Crown (cold and ice powers -- you can base him on Freon from VIPER: Coils Of The Serpent).

If you have UNTIL Superpowers Database you can season the basic villain template with appropriate powers from that book.

I had one other idea a while back for making the vampire villain Stalker from Champions Universe: News Of The World into one of the Crowns of Krim. One plot seed in CKC for Bloodstone has him discovering the power to mentally command vampires. Bloodstone tries to control Stalker, but the veteran vampire proves too strong to master, kills Bloodstone and drains his blood, and takes the Blood Crown for himself. The combination of Stalker's own vampirism, Bloodstone's enchanted blood, and the Blood Crown transforms Stalker into a being of far greater power -- possibly even a rival to Dark Seraph for leadership of the Crowns of Krim.

If you went this route you could increase all the traditional vampire powers that Stalker has: strength, durability, and rapid healing; deadly fangs; controlling the minds of others; shape changing; summoning more and more powerful "creatures of the night;" while diminishing or eliminating his weaknesses to sunlight and Holy items. Stronger and/or less restricted versions of Bloodstone's powers would also be appropriate.

I hope that helps.

Ack...Stalker WITH Bloodstone's powers? I'm running for cover now.

Rob