"Zombie Powder"

bigbywolfe

There are many ideas about where the myth of the voodoo zombie first came from. One idea is that it had some basis in reality. The theory is that the “zombie” is not actually a reanimated corpse, but an individual who had been put into a near-death, comma like state, and then revived. One theory of how this was done is, so called, “zombie powder,” a substance made from pufferfish toxin, which would essentially poison and paralyze the person, leaving them in a death like state until the effects of the poison either wore off or were reversed with a different substance. The reason for a zombie’s supposed loyalty to the master that “brought it back from the dead” is chalked up to a combination of psychological issues (especially if the victim was a practitioner of voodoo as a religion) and more likely, brain damage. The idea is that brain damage, caused either by the powder itself, or by lack of oxygen when the person was temporarily buried, would reduce intelligence, possibly interfere with speech and motor skills (hence the shambling walk and zombie moan), and most importantly, affect the frontal lobe, effectively lobotomizing them, killing off the part of the brain responsible for control of emotion and aspects of ones personality.

So the question is, how would you build this in game terms?

I’m not sure if you’d use the setup for poisons/venoms listed in the books, or use a BODY drain or something. What all would be linked to it? Simulate Death, UAA? Transform, with requirements like “must have negative BODY but cannot die” from “normal person” to “low intelligence/ego person with severe psych limitations?

I know this seems more like a plot device than anything, and it would probably never be successfully used on the PCs, but I like to have write-ups for things rather than handwave them. In my case, this will be used by an NPC in a heroic level (although somewhat high powered at 100/100) Victorian Mystery with Supernatural Elements Campaign. As always, thanks in advance.

Re: "Zombie Powder"

One good way to do this is to use delayed effect summon. The use of the power would require a freshly 'killed' victim which is consumed in the process.

What the mechanics are killing one person with another being summoned differ from the special effects, the voodoo priest killing someone with the powder and the corpse returning to life as a zombie.

Doc

Initial thoughts:

"Zombie Powder"

xd6 Stun Drain, Rate of Return 5 points/ 6 hours. Lim Power:(Life support venom is absolute defense). Linked with

xd6 Major Mental Transform (transforms target human into "zombie") Gradual Effect 6 hours -1 1/2. Lim. Power. "Zombification ritual" target must be buried, and restored to life by the voodun. -1. Extra Time 20 minutes. Incantations. Gestures.

and

Resurrection Potion: xd6 Aid Stun. OAF. Fragile. Lim. Power Only works on targets subjected to Zombie Power.

"Zombie": human with 3 Int, 3" running, 3 Dex, Phys. Lim. Extremely inarticulate. Distinctive features: shuffling gate.

Just a thought.

major transform(though this would have to have some way of being healed)

follower slavishly loyal(just limits how many you can have at 1 time)the have the right disads

ego drain to -30(delay the recovery rate to days/weeks)with a low level mind control

Both great ideas. As an after-thought, would there be a way to have the "zombie" have an extremely low EGO in regards to whoever raised them, or perhaps whoever they first saw when re-awakened, by fairly high against others? I'm thinking mostly to ignore presence attacks (maybe cannot even percieve such "attacks" as threats).

Edit: I'm an idiot. Low EGO with EGO bonus, only to prevent Presense attacks. Maybe a limitation to exempt the "raiser" from the EGO bonus?

"Zombie cussedness"

Ego 3, +27 Ego Limited Power (not against voodun).

That way it works against both Presence attacks and opposing mentalists. It also would help prevent a counter Mental Transform based on Ego.

As far as "recovering" from the original zombification. I'm afraid my voodoo escapes me, but I suspect that there might be a ritual to accomplish this. My preference would be for an instant conditional heal, as opposed to getting better over time. I think Discovery actually interviewed a guy who's been zombified for years.

Cheers

Thanks' date=' I never would have thought of that. I am, however, trying to model it to look like the pseudo-scientific explanation, not like a complete automaton.[/quote']

Nothing says that you have to build the summon as a complete automaton. There are a number of assumptions built into characters in HERO and when you want to effectively permanently change on it is often better to replace them (in mechanical terms - in SFX terms it is simply the same person with different basic assumptions made about them).

You could go with the transform option, especially if you wanted to be able to reverse the situation.

The problem with transform etc is that you have to build in the 'takes orders from master' aspect that is already present in summoned creatures/persons.