Seven gods

Balok

Vawoh: All Father, God of Magic, Creation, Order, Power, Force, Initiative, Inspiration, Leadership

Reha: The Great Mother, Godess of Nurturing, Health, Time, Acceptance, Patience, Guidance

Their children:

Advar: First Son, God of Duty, Honor, Fortification, Dependibility, Competence, Structure, Implementation, Knowing Ones Place, Social Order, Law, Justice, Fairness

Anria: First Daugther, Godess of the Hearth, Comfort, Homemaking, Provender, Agriculture, Good Fortune, Lineage, Family, Unity, Love

Uria: Godess of Moon and Tide, Sea and Storm, Water and Rain, Death and Darkness, Pettyness, Beauty, Vanity, Spite, Unreasoning Hatred, Chance, Randomness, Unpredictibility, Mysteries, the Unknown

Unvar: God of Striving, Enterprise, Acceptance Seeking, Overacheiving, Ambition, Greed, Hubris, Mercantilism, Politics, Deceit, Material Wealth

Ehvar: Youngest Son, God of Impetuousness, Risk-taking, Conflict, Temper, Agression, Strength, Present, Conflict, Bravery, Boldness, Rashness, Destruction, Anger, Weaponcrafting]

I like these Gods. I can see that Advar and Ehvar are going to have some rivalry right off the bat.

Anyways, I know that the original topic was for 7 Gods in a campaign, but it does beg to question about any non-human races in the world. Certainly, the Dwarves and Elves etc., would have their own pantheon of gods. Unless the Earth God/dess created and is worshipped by the Dwarves and the Nature God/dess created and is worshipped by the Elves etc., but somehow that doesn't seem to wash well.

Now I need Gods...

I started to create a new campaign based on a post-apocalyptic story line. I recently came to the conclusion that all the old religions would have been pretty much wiped out and that the survivors would have started to invent a new religion. The question is, would they maintain a single God or construct a pantheon? Game wise what would be more fun?

The major tenents of the religion are luck and survival.

The players have emerged from long sleep in cryogenic statis deep in their protected vault. They are returning to the world to bring back order and civilization. For many reasons they are dispised. Not the least of which in that they represent a very unlucky culture that needs to be wiped out, according to the church leaders of the new religion.

It's actually a pretty crappy book, but Roger Zelazny (and someone else) wrote a book called Deus Irae (the god of wrath and a pun on the classical name for the apocalypse).

In that book he had a kind of warped Christian church that worshipped the God of Wrath - personified as the US Air Force commander who started the nuclear war.

If civilisation has been wiped out by some kind of cataclysm, you would kind of expect that to have an effect on people's beliefs.

A Christian church might adopt to the idea that the day of judgement had finally arrived - that the people left on earth were the abandoned sinners, with one last chance to make good - or they could go the other way saying that the evil had been judged and the blessed had now inherited the earth (meaning everyone else has to leave). You might have churches that say either thing, leading to some nice heretic burnings :)

You've already got a few survivalist wackos prowling the woods in the States, some of whom are white supremacist with quasi-viking leanings. I can just see them lurking about in their camo-painted Chainmail considering themselves the chosen who have survived Ragnarok and carving the occasional blood-eagle on those christians they could catch.

Make up a couple of religions based on "making sure the bad thing never happens again" by propitiating the god or gods responsible (I'd file the serial numbers off the Aztec gods and use them - they seem sufficiently bloodthirsty) and you should be good to go.

You can always add more obscure cults as you go along, once you have mapped out the main religions.

Cheers, Mark

And his name is...

Originally posted by Markdoc

It's actually a pretty crappy book, but Roger Zelazny (and someone else) wrote a book called Deus Irae (the god of wrath and a pun on the classical name for the apocalypse).

That would be Phillip K. Dick. The book reads like most of the writing was done by Dick before he died and Zelazny filled in the holes since it wasn't finished. It wasn't the tightest book that Dick ever worked on but it had a lot of his halmark touch. Dick wrote the book that became Bladerunner. Oddly, I usually believe that the book is better than the movie but in this case the movie is better than the book.

I will definitely have to work on the various tribes and cults. Thanks!

Pete

>>> That would be Phillip K. Dick. <<<

Yeah - dat's da man! It must be 20 years since I read it and my memory is getting a bit flaky with age :(

But I remember being disappointed since I am/was a fan of both authors (although Zelazny in particular has written a few books that were obviously inspired by a desire to cover the rent rather than tell a story).

Still, its all useful source material.

On a more useful note, the flavour is very different from what you describe, but Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun has a ton of ideas easily grafted onto a post-apoc setting - in his case it's a colony ship where the inhabitants have regressed.

cheers, Mark

I took my sweet time posting on this thread, but here are my two cents.

*plink* *plink*

Mohandas Karamachand Gandhi (you know the guy) had a list of seven deadly sins that he said were the most dangerous to our social fabric. The unusual thing of it is, each 'sin' is attached to something good.

• Wealth without Work
  • Pleasure without Conscience
  • Science without Humanity
  • Knowledge without Character
  • Politics without Principle
  • Commerce without Morality
  • Worship without Sacrifice

Each god has one of the first as a domain and dominant virtue, and is attending fault as a personality trait (which may become a side effect for anyone who invokes said god). I like this idea as it remindes me of the Greek Gods, who were extremely flawed beings

Originally posted by shinrin

Anyways, I know that the original topic was for 7 Gods in a campaign, but it does beg to question about any non-human races in the world. Certainly, the Dwarves and Elves etc., would have their own pantheon of gods. Unless the Earth God/dess created and is worshipped by the Dwarves and the Nature God/dess created and is worshipped by the Elves etc., but somehow that doesn't seem to wash well.

Nothing personal, but I never liked the deendee idea that said that each race had to have its own gods. There is no "god of humans" so why should there be a "god of elves"? In my FH world, I created a huge pantheon* whcih should have enough gods to satisfy everyone regardless of race. Sure, some gods are inevitably going to be more popular among some races, but all are available. Ermen, god of mountains, is naturally very popular with dwarves, but mountain dwelling humans and other races also revere him, especially good giants. Likewise Randoni, goddess of forests is most commonly worshipped by elves, but anyone relying on trees, wood, or safe travel through forests will call on her for aid. Irev-Naru is generally considered an orc god, but anyone who's lifestyle values violence, destruction, hatred, and strength over morality, will find his religion appealing. And since all PC races in my world are mortal, they all pay homage to Kronterm, god of death, eventually.

*(54 and counting - it's out of control. I never intended it to grow to such a size, but I kept thinking of other things that I wanted a god of. I've pretty much stopped adding gods, except for a few minor obscure demigods occasionally, such as the moon goddesses children, each of which is represents a phase or aspect of the moon: demigod of the crescent moon, demigod of the new moon, demigod of eclipses, demigod of the moon in daylight, etc.)

You could always go with the Initiate/Outcast/Master set -- though they had rivals for each, one on the side of Law, one on the side of Chaos:

• Earth
  • Air
  • Fire
  • Water
  • Space
  • Time
  • Life and Death

Death being only a part of life, it was wrapped into one.

For a good 'overall' set, the Westeros group is a good one; my favorite actually happens to be Bujold's Fivefold Path, simply because it's so elegant. On the other hand, she has a rather simple-yet-intricate setup of magic: you can either have been possessed by a demon (and gained the upper hand, using its power as magic), or you can be, errr, 'blessed' by one of the gods. Who love their saints 'the way a caravaner loves his mules, whipping them over the high passes....'