Multiple pushing

Maccabe

I was curious if anyone had some insight on whether to allow a PC to push more then 1 power a phase especially if the powers stack.

Example: Growth, Str,& HTH attack.

Lets say a player really wanted to put the bad guy down,, would you allow someone to PUSH Growth, Str, and the HTH attack? The result is about a 30 point increase in damage. Personally it seems like alot of endurance to spend and an overwhelming result.:ugly:

Anyone?

Re: Multiple pushing

I allow pushing so rarely as it is that the odds of me allowing two powers to be pushed approaches the infinitesimally tiny.

In my opinion pushing is an attempt to address two things -- the suppressive effects of point caps, and an attempt to put mechanics around dramatic / heroic accomplishments.

A) I generally don't use caps at all, so when I do they are deliberate and "hard" caps that I don't want exceeded to begin with.

B) I'll give circumstantial bonuses / edges if I feel its appropriate and deserved based upon roleplaying and the specifics of what is being attempted with what abilities...and also how much I want something to succeed or fail based upon needs of the plot. I don't want or need a mechanic to do this. I particularly don't want or need a mechanic whose main net effect in my experience is to get players to beg and wheedle for extra oomph whenever its easier to overpower things vs using their brains or other character abilities to overcome the challenge at hand.

It depends on the game, the GM, and the situation.

I've seen GMs deliberately set the AP limit of the game low, expecting the PC's to push a lot while the NPC's rarely did - sort of a 'hero advantage' on the sly.

And then there are GM's that are really hardcore about the 'life and death' conditional aspect of pushing.

It comes down to the GM in the end. Do you want to allow it?

I was curious if anyone had some insight on whether to allow a PC to push more then 1 power a phase especially if the powers stack.

Example: Growth, Str,& HTH attack.

Lets say a player really wanted to put the bad guy down,, would you allow someone to PUSH Growth, Str, and the HTH attack? The result is about a 30 point increase in damage. Personally it seems like alot of endurance to spend and an overwhelming result.:ugly:

Anyone?

I'd say "Why not?" but many might find that too much...for real abuse push STR and Movement for a move through.....

We required an EGO roll to successfully Push, with the amount of the Push being determined by the amount you made the roll by (make the EGO roll exactly, you can push up to 5 points. Make it by 3 and its the full 10).

We allowed people to try to push multiple things in the same Phase if they wanted to, but theyd have to make a seperate roll for each Power, and you had to pay the END you were hoping for, regardless of what your die rolls told you that you got.

Ive seen a couple of PCs Push themselves unconscious (since every 2 END you spend that you dont actually have costs you 1d6 Stun instead, as I recall)

Yep, it's called 'Pushing 'til it hurts' in our games.

Our GM will allow extra pushes... with a cumulative -2 to the EGO roll for each sucessive attempt. And the costs escalate too - 10 END for the first push, 20 for the second, and so on... It adds up quick, if you actually make the rolls.