Question: how to build mechano-link power

BarretWallace

Greetings one, greetings all,

This grew out of the “What’s Wrong with Palladium” thread I browsed earlier this week. It got me thinking of a character I built for Heroes Unlimited in days of yore, and I am trying to build such a character for Hero System.

I did search the boards and can’t find a good description of this power in Hero terms, so here it is. Also, I’ve never built a new power in Hero System before, so please be patient with my awkward leap into the realm of power building.

The Power: Mechano-Link

What does it do?

-It links the hero with any mechanical or electronic device (weapons, vehicles, computers, etc.). The hero has an instinctive “feel” for the device and can operate or repair it better than a similarly trained normal human.

-It grants a bonus to mechanical/electrical skills the character already possesses, including relevant operation and repair skills.

-It allows the character to interface directly with computers, bypassing security lockouts etc.

-It grants a chance for the character to understand and operate completely alien devices. Alien devices are not necessarily of extraterrestrial origin; this could just mean something the character has never encountered before.

How is it limited?

-Use of the power requires physical contact with the device in question. Contact is not considered “blocked” by clothing (costume, space suit, gloves, etc.) that the character is wearing, since these are also touching the character.

-Failed attempts to understand and use alien devices may not be re-attempted until the character has studied the device intently for at least a day.

I added in the limitations myself, but beyond that the description matches the HU power as nearly as I can recall. Any and all advice and constructive criticism is muchly appreciated. If there really is a good description of this power in the boards, please point me to the thread and I’ll happily dissolve this one.

Thank y’all!

Re: Question: how to build mechano-link power

The Power: Mechano-Link

What does it do?

-It links the hero with any mechanical or electronic device (weapons, vehicles, computers, etc.). The hero has an instinctive “feel” for the device and can operate or repair it better than a similarly trained normal human.

Detect Device, with Discriminatory and possibly Analyze, in the Touch Sense Group.

-It grants a bonus to mechanical/electrical skills the character already possesses, including relevant operation and repair skills.

Broad based Skill Levels. Either 5 or 8 pts per level should cover it. Possibly buy, say, nine levels with a limitation "no more than three may be used on any one skill roll." This is for those times you are making two or even three rolls in the same phase (such as, for complementary skills.)

-It allows the character to interface directly with computers, bypassing security lockouts etc.

Mental Powers, usable vs. "Machine Class of Mind" if the game allows that.

-It grants a chance for the character to understand and operate completely alien devices. Alien devices are not necessarily of extraterrestrial origin; this could just mean something the character has never encountered before.

Power Skill: Gadgeteer. Along with the Enhanced Sense described already.

How is it limited?

-Use of the power requires physical contact with the device in question. Contact is not considered “blocked” by clothing (costume, space suit, gloves, etc.) that the character is wearing, since these are also touching the character.

-Failed attempts to understand and use alien devices may not be re-attempted until the character has studied the device intently for at least a day.

Special Effects

Lucius Alexander

And an alien palindromedary

Lucius is right, barring quibbling over the details. This isn't "one power" in HERO; it's a suite of powers, probably tied together by an Elemental Control of so, to keep everything somewhat cost effective. Especially if you purchase:

Mind Control 10d6

5 Overall Skill Levels, of which only 3 can be used at once, only for dealing with mechanical devices (not weaponry, although it may depend on GM fiat)

Detect: etc.

And then any other specific powers you want to put in, that tie up the special effect. But the big lesson here is that we aren't talking about one power; we're talking about a set of powers operating together to achieve a special effect, "brilliant mechanic."

It seems so obvious after simply having other sets of eyes look at this: "Mechano-link" really is a suite of powers rather than one. Thank you for the great thoughts and suggestions! I will try a few builds over the weekend.

On a semi-related note, I've been on a few other gaming-related boards before, but I've gotta say, the people on the Hero Games board are consistently the best I've ever seen. Even heated discussions are almost always conducted with a good measure of civility (even if it is disguised as backhanded compliments and such), and I have yet to find a solid example of the infantile flame wars that other boards stoop to.

Long Live Hero!:celebrate