Down the street from Rosie's

Boll Weevil

A long long time ago when my regular gaming group existed, I had made a rather large town square map starting with the traditional Rosie's Cafe street map that came in the Champions box (the same map i believe is available in the Hero System Resource Kit). I had extended the street in all four directions using four full battle mats. Sadly, though the breakup of my gaming group, multiple moves and a marriage I have lost these maps.

Has anyone else done something similar? I also had the shopping mall from Target Hero printed on a plotter in full game scale (1"/2M). It too is long gone. I have Champions Battlegrounds and the worst scanner in the world. I can print that out Megascale when I get it scanned.

We've had many "what maps do you have" discussions. Does anyone have a large city block (or 4!) you can share?

Thanks!

BW

Re: Down the street from Rosie's

Hmm. I got 73 views and 0 replies. It looks like I am not alone. Fine, I will do it myself.

Let's say I were to make this; a four-block map. Let's say I made it a PDF file that you could print out and assemble together to make a giant map. Let the record show I am no Keith Curtis. I would have to draw these by hand and I'm not saying for sure I have the time to do this well. If you were to buy this product what would make you happy?

-How big should the final map be when pieced together? 4X4' fits on my table pretty well. Pick a size.

-Let's say this area is lifted from downtown Millennium City. Where is a good fit? I would like to find a spot on the MC map that makes good sense then later we could add to it.

-Name some kinds of things you would like to have incorporated: a certain store front, throwables & Big Wrap Up fodder, hiding spots.

Do most of you use actual 1" hexes or could you be happy with smaller? I'm a paper chit guy myself so this is OK with me. A smaller hex would prevent the use of most miniatures I have seen.

Thoughts? Let 'er rip!

Sorry, no city blocks available, all mine are moduular. Back in the day, I could never see the point of limiting myself to that original champions map. So it stayed on the shelf and went into map making.

I used A4/letter sized sheets of grey card with hand drawn squares for roads (I was a draftsman at the time, with a drawing board it was easy) and then stuck a lighter grey card on the edges to represent the sidewalks / pavements (yes, I speak English and American) with a dozen of these I could fake up any street arrangement I wanted on the fly.

The building spaces were plain white gridded paper That I drew up walls, doorways etc on using a thick black marker. We used scale models for vehicles and characters and old draughts pieces with sticky paper labels on them to represent miscellaneous lamp posts, fire water hydrants, rubbish bins etc.

Some 25+ years later I'm still using the same stuff. With some paper buildings from... hmmm... nope, forget their name. Downtown? Junktown? I forget. Anyway, thier buildings, with some stiffening, give us 3d elevations. All the old lead cast figures have given way to modified Heroclix figures but everything else is the same.

You don't really need huge amazingly detailed maps if you've the components to just add on the end as the battle moves and you know roughly what sort of buildings are in the area the fight takes place in.

Guest steamteck

I tend to use 1' hexes and use poster razor to cut up my image and print it out on cardstock on my printer. Typically maps run 8-10 sheets. I haven't actually made any myself but gotten tons of then them from several sites. Mostly dunjinii related. I've got a couple of single block maps I'd be very happy to share if you'd like. plus jungles secret bases and tons of other things.

check these sites also

http://rpgmapshare.com/index.php?q=gallery&g2_GALLERYSID=TMP_SESSION_ID_DI_NOISSES_PMT

Star Wars stuff but you might fine something useful

http://the-holocron.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=36&func=select&id=1

Site where people share their dunjinni creations search for "modern " or Streets"

http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_topics.asp?FID=6

I went to look for my copy and found more that I remember having. It seems that the magazine "Different Worlds" in their May/June & July/August 1985 issues had a Champions style map in the middle. Map 1 is "The Waterfront" and includes 2 Warehouses, a Restaurant, Apartments, an Open-Air Market, Docks, and Water. Map 2 is the "Business District" and includes Renovated Castle with Heliport, Office Building, Shops, Subway Entrance, and Pedestrian Bridge to castle's heliport. "Geomorphic, each Super Map will connect to another Super Map on at least two sides." Art by Michael Gray.

Don't know if there were more that these two, but I forgot I had them in my old Champions Box.

I've always liked using the Rosie's map... is sort of a campaign joke now that this is the busiest (and most dangerous) street in River City!

I use it, because it is easy. I should probably spend some time creating a bunch of new maps, just to have an assortment. I'd bet my players would thank me for it.

Funny how once you get the erasable "mondomat" (or whatever size), you tend to use less detail in mapping... a good library of maps would be a good thing to have around.

Plus, I could do them in 1.5" now, to be more compatible with the HeroClix we tend to now use.

Guest steamteck

I went to look for my copy and found more that I remember having. It seems that the magazine "Different Worlds" in their May/June & July/August 1985 issues had a Champions style map in the middle. Map 1 is "The Waterfront" and includes 2 Warehouses, a Restaurant, Apartments, an Open-Air Market, Docks, and Water. Map 2 is the "Business District" and includes Renovated Castle with Heliport, Office Building, Shops, Subway Entrance, and Pedestrian Bridge to castle's heliport. "Geomorphic, each Super Map will connect to another Super Map on at least two sides." Art by Michael Gray.

Don't know if there were more that these two, but I forgot I had them in my old Champions Box.

I've still got those and use them. As far asI know they were the only ones.