Sleep Is Food, Food Is Sleep

Fabricati

Power conception is as follows:

Character has gained the ability to adjust their metabolism, entering either a state of half-hibernation to reduce food consumption drastically (Sleep Is Food), or the ability to filter fatigue poisons out of their system more readily at the cost of having to eat a lot more (Food Is Sleep).

Of course, they can't do both at once, and it takes anywhere around six to twelve hours to adjust their metabolism in this manner.

Life Support seems to be the ticket, of course, but constructions at the 1-point level run into problems, and unfortunately, 1-point is all I feel comfortable using for this power, as it's supposed to be a Slightly More Than Human ability; even at the 1-point level it seems a little excessive.

Build 1 is a Multipower, 1-point reserve, with slots in Life Support. Porky and inefficient.

Build 2 is taking Power Limitations on both Life Supports to keep to concept, but then I run into the 1-point minima.

Build 3 is likely some kind of VPP, but like the Multipower, this is clunky and probably quite unnecessary.

Help?

Re: Sleep Is Food, Food Is Sleep

1 Food is Sleep - Sleep is Food: Life Support (Eating: Character does not eat; Sleeping: Character does not sleep) (6 Active Points); Gradual Effect (6 Hours; -1 1/2), Limited Power Character has gained the ability to adjust their metabolism, entering either a state of half-hibernation to reduce food consumption drastically (Sleep Is Food), or the ability to filter fatigue poisons out of their system more readily at the cost of having to eat a lot more (Food Is Sleep). (-1), Concentration (1/2 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -1/2) - END=0

Incidentally, why do you only want to spend 1 point because it is a "Slightly More Than Human ability"? I mean, consider that ONE more point of Str costs a point. Ambidexterity--a trait that plenty of normal humans possess--is like 3 points. This sounds like a useful ability. Why do you assume it should cost less than a Skill or most Talents? :confused:

Because for most campaigns, it's completely irrelevant. It's like overpriced longevity. When will "I live for 500 years" ever matter? 1 point is expensive enough for something that is meaningless in game. My background story also does not cost points.

Because for most campaigns' date=' it's completely irrelevant. It's like overpriced longevity. When will "I live for 500 years" ever matter? 1 point is expensive enough for something that is meaningless in game. My background story also does not cost points.[/quote']

Heh. You never know. Somehow players and GMs seem to have a way to tie in those little flavor abilities. Anyway, that sounds like a decent reason. The other one (only "Slightly More Than Human ability") I don't buy.

And your background concept may call for it. Most of those concepts of mine which have the character having longevity at some point don't have that character starting out at age 16 or 30; they're already 60 or 90 or, in one case, 150,000 years old. I take the power because I want the power. I want the background to be 'he's an ancient dragon' or 'she's been around since Earth first went into space'. I take the power not because it's necessarily ever going to come up in-game, but because it adds punch to the background flavor (Bam!!) and because it's cool to have.

Because for most campaigns' date=' it's completely irrelevant. It's like overpriced longevity. When will "I live for 500 years" ever matter? 1 point is expensive enough for something that is meaningless in game. My background story also does not cost points.[/quote']

Yes, well, I see a lot of LS as more than flavour: it is a form of defence, to very specific attacks. The guy with the aging ray hits you at full blast and is still wondering why you are not a mouldering pile of bones when you slug him into the middle of next week. I've seen this in X-Men more than once. IIRC Peter Rasputin's sister was fighting some sort of witch who 'de-aged' her to a baby, but was then taken completely by surprise when her 'aging her to a crone' attack has no effect at all.

If I spend a point on an ability it is because it is potentially useful or it makes me feel good about the character. LS: Longevity fulfills both requirements :)

Obviously you might never get hit with an aging ray, but if you do it is nice to know that you're covered.

And your background concept may call for it. Most of those concepts of mine which have the character having longevity at some point don't have that character starting out at age 16 or 30; they're already 60 or 90 or' date=' in one case, 150,000 years old. I take the power because I [i']want[/i] the power. I want the background to be 'he's an ancient dragon' or 'she's been around since Earth first went into space'. I take the power not because it's necessarily ever going to come up in-game, but because it adds punch to the background flavor (Bam!!) and because it's cool to have.

I agree there are a lot of reasons to have it. But that still should not mean it's expensive. 1 point seems about right for Longevity. LS is often overpriced. 10 points for immunity to diseases? Of course that would be incredibly useful for a normal person. But that does not mean it should cost as much as Teleporting 5".

I agree there are a lot of reasons to have it. But that still should not mean it's expensive. 1 point seems about right for Longevity. LS is often overpriced. 10 points for immunity to diseases? Of course that would be incredibly useful for a normal person. But that does not mean it should cost as much as Teleporting 5".

I think a caring GM* will make efforts to highlight your abilities, even if only occasionally. 10 points for immunity to disease is (quite) a lot but if it means that you are the only one who can brave the Ebola Clouds that the villain Miasma is protecting his doomsday machine with, it is worth it.

*if that isn't an oxymoron