Devil's Cape and Argonaut

pinecone

Re: Devil's Cape and Argonaut

Euphemus can walk on water....but because of the Boreiads he can allready Fly.

I'm thinking I'll just Buy the Flight "Usable as swim" and call it good (Say 11", usable as swim)

Nester is an odd one...nothing much but He's still around for the Trojan war ...something like 100 years later....LS- Unaging 2 pts?

Poeas is "The best archer" but Herc is a argonaught, as well as some others, so this guy must be like Green arrow good. Right now I have +5 w Ranged (Do I need more?)

The big ones are Orpheus a super music dude....Power set? or just buy some Super skills?

And Poriclymeno, the Dude can assume the forms of animals Multi form? Or jus pretend I did not notice. The Argonaut(s) in the book do not show any "Music power" or Multiform power that I recall...

I'm trying for a 350 pt starting character, so room is limited.

Also for Herc, should I just buy a big honking STR? I bought it so far as ST 30 (lots of heroic STR) and +20 STR REnd>0 No figured for "tapping into Herc's STR"

Stats so far...

ST 30 (50) He will also have a "Hellenistic martial art" of Boxing, wrestling, and Pankration...

Dx 27

Con 25

Bod 18

Int 18

Ego 11

Pres 25

Coml 18 (might need to go up , Hylus for one had "good looker" as a "power")

PD 10

ED 10

Spd 5

Rec 11

End 50

Stun 45

Thats around 176, more than I usually spend (I aim for 150 or less) But he needs the stats of a legendary hero in every spot...

Skilz and Powerz so far....

Flight 11" Usable as swimming 27 pts?

+20 STR REnd>0, No figured " Divine STR" 20 pts

+1" running 2 pts (not needed but a Hero must be Swift...)

Combat luck (one at a min, 2 is likely, at least one greek hero must have had two(like Heracles...) ) so 6 or 12 pts

Armor, He builds a armored costume so maybe...+4 Def OIF 8 pts?

Prophetic dreams (several Argonaughts had seer abilitys) see USPD...

Bump of Direction 3 pts

Eidetic memory 5 pts

LS- Unaging 1 or 2 pts

Night vision 5 pts

Telescopic +4 vs range for Vision

+5 w/ Ranged combat...OCV only? 25 or 15 pts

Pankration, Boxing, wrestling 25 to 30 pts

Universal Jack only Bronze age/Handicraft skills (-1) Channeling Argonaut skills

Universal scholar only bronze age knowlages? same as above....

All together this runs to about 338 pts (without the Universals)

So it looks like it might fit into 350 afterall...

Any suggestions welcome.

Orpheus was a master lyre player that could make trees and rocks dance around, charm the dead, and Hades. Maybe some Pre based on music playing.

CES

Yeah Orpheus is good as a Super all on his own...right now I'm going with "I can't hear you La la la!" (ie not including him at all) I may just add perfect pitch and Universal music skil, or sumthing like that...

Well if Greek (or Roman) myth is the central point take a look at Wonder Woman and/or Captain Marvel (Shazam!) from the JLA.

:D

Well Devil's Cape is almost street level, in his first outing a punk with a pistol put the hurt on him, so I'm thinking not JLA power level.

Also I would like to keep him close to 350, and throwing in too much will leave me pushing 450 easy...

The only other hero I have seen like this was the Olympian before DC killed him. He had basic Superman/Captain Marvel powers. I haven't read Devil's Cap so I don't know how close to that model Argonaut was.

CES

Dude I totally recomend you read it, I liked it a lot.

Hey, it's cool to see someone trying an Argonaut build. I've never actually created stats for him, though I've thought about it, of course.

If I did, I would probably give him some pretty high general stats (STR and such from Heracles, DEX from any number of Argonauts, INT from Theseus, etc.). I'd add in some kind of Elemental Control (a lot of what could fit would depend on house rules) to cover other frequently used powers like his Flight and maybe his precognitive dreams (which at this point he has very little control over).

I might also give him a small VPP to cover some of those abilities that he wouldn't use often or that might crop up at odd times. The singing ability would likely go here (I'm thinking possibly as an Aid to PRE with certain limitations).

He also has a number of skills that come from the Argonauts rather than his own knowledge, like ancient wrestling and/or Pankration.

The shapeshifting is a bit of a conundrum that I'm struggling with in the sequel. Logically, he should have this ability, but it feels pretty far afield from his other stuff. One stream of my current thinking is that, even if he has the ability to change his shape, he might be afraid to do so because he's nervous about messing something up and not being able to turn back into exactly the same form he always had.

He also has a sort of Mind Link with his brother (and don't forget Social Limitation: Evil Twin!).

Thanks for the interest in the book!

Ok. Argonaut V 2.0.... I'm going to leave the Multi-form and the super sing for "EXP" for now

Ofcourse I'm trying to build a starting character, so points are an "issue", unlike an author who has "as many as it takes!".

St 30 (50)

Dex 23

Con 25

Bod 12

Int 18

Ego 11

Pres 25

Coml 18

PD 10 (20)

ED 10 (20)

Spd 5

Rec 11

End 50

Stun 40

Cost 148 ( more in my ballpark, I cut the Dex...even though 23 is "lowish" it is near Legendary so I'm going with it...)

The Skills... I had to sort of create a power for Argonaut skillz!...

+2 PER

Bump of Direction

Perfect pitch (Orpheus...)

Eidetic memory

Cramming (11) Only Argonaut skills and knowlages (-1) This "loads" by his "Dream prophecy" power... He visits the Argos and interacts with an Argonaut, when he wakes he has the related skill or knowlage...examples; Navigation, PS: Sailor,Survival (Hunting basicly) Tracking, Seduction (Hylos..;) ) I have this at 5 points for now till I decide if 10 points is a fair "base cost"

Tactics

Oratory

Streetwise

Lang. Greek (modern, use the cramming for bronze/iron age) 3 pts

PS: reporter (free)

Bribery

Boxing, Wrestling, and Pankration (I went with a basic set, with the major part being wrestling...he is a pocket brick, so the wrestling will be most usefull)

(Reversal,M. Grab,M. Throw,M. Strike, M. Block, Crush (he uses this instead of Haymakers...) ) 23 pts

+1 w/ Hellenistic MA's 3 pts

About 67 points right now...

The Powers!

The Boreads (and others): Flight 11" usable as running, swimming (+1/2) 33 pts

Hero's Fortune: Combat luck x2 12 pts (+6 Def, Hard, Luck based)

Hunter's eye's: Night vision 5 pts

Ditto : Telescopic:Sight group: +4 RM 6 pts

Strength of Heracles!: +20 STR REnd>0, No figured 20 pts

Costume: Armor +4 Def OIF 8 pts

Dream prophecy: 11 pts per USPD (Argonaut seems to have a lot of promise here, Jazz seems like a real "dream witch" and Argonaut totally sees through her wiles...)

Hero's Health: REnd STR> 1/2 7 pts (not really shown, but a natural buy for a "Brick")

Fast healing: Regen limbs 11 pts (Not sure on this one, can easily be the combined healing power of 50 Heros, but it's not clear if the pistol did any Body. As built it would not do body. The incident could just be a lucky stun mod/ head location shot. If it did do Body then this is required for the amazing recovery, if it was just Stun pips then this not needed.)

This runs about 113 pts right now, for about 328-340 total ...so he is right on budget so far.

As expected last night was the oposite of slow...never fails. But tonight is a new night...

Hey, it's cool to see someone trying an Argonaut build. I've never actually created stats for him, though I've thought about it, of course.

If I did, I would probably give him some pretty high general stats (STR and such from Heracles, DEX from any number of Argonauts, INT from Theseus, etc.). I'd add in some kind of Elemental Control (a lot of what could fit would depend on house rules) to cover other frequently used powers like his Flight and maybe his precognitive dreams (which at this point he has very little control over).

I might also give him a small VPP to cover some of those abilities that he wouldn't use often or that might crop up at odd times. The singing ability would likely go here (I'm thinking possibly as an Aid to PRE with certain limitations).

He also has a number of skills that come from the Argonauts rather than his own knowledge, like ancient wrestling and/or Pankration.

The shapeshifting is a bit of a conundrum that I'm struggling with in the sequel. Logically, he should have this ability, but it feels pretty far afield from his other stuff. One stream of my current thinking is that, even if he has the ability to change his shape, he might be afraid to do so because he's nervous about messing something up and not being able to turn back into exactly the same form he always had.

He also has a sort of Mind Link with his brother (and don't forget Social Limitation: Evil Twin!).

Thanks for the interest in the book!

Thanks for a good book! And I happy to hear a follow up is in the works.

I still get a chuckle when I think of the "evil twin" being the one with a goatee..:)

I wear one myself, so I can only assume that somewhere in the world a Much nicer version of me is shaking his fist and cursing!

Again with a busy night!

Changes so far...

Reversal is only 4 pts, not 5 so Helene MA is 22 pts (-1 pt)

Added: PS: Singer (11) for 2 pts, and "Voice of Orpheus" +3 w/ Sing,Seduction, and Oratory for 9 pts

Also added "Nestor's span" LS- Unaging for 1 pt (around 120 year life span)

Oh, and checking Ultimate Skill, a Cramm that does 2 pt skills at the (11) level costs 14 pts so his Argonaut channel Cramming cost's 7 pts now....

I think I'm going to leave the Multi-form and Super-singing for the experianced version...say 25 to 50 points later he can throw down with the weirdness...

For the Multi-form I think I'll throw in "Loss of personality" lims so Argonaut is scared to use it...(That explains why he has not used it anyway....) for the super singing I'm thinking Mind controll :emotions only and/or Mind control:fixed command "Stand transfixed while I get down!"

The Multi-form and super sing will likely be in a Multi-power with some lims, or I may just purchase them seperate, with some more extensive lims...

Personally I don't like the super music thang...if he can sing like that, why is he a reporter? Why isn't he fronting for a band called "Spiders from Mars"?

All in all though, he's getting dang near finished. I should have a final sheet on say Tuesday (assuming nothing major come up)

The skills!

+2 w/ PER 6 pts

Bump of direction 3 pts

Eidetic memory 5 pts

Cramming (11); Lim: Only Argonaut skills and knowlages (-1) 7 pts

Tactics

Oratory

Streetwise

Lang. Greek (modern) (3)

PS: reporter (11) (free)

Bribery

PS: Singer

"Voice of Orpheus" +3 w/ Sing, Oratory, and Seduction 9 pts

Seduction

Boxing, Wrestling, and Pankration 22 pts

+1 w/ Hellenistic Martial arts

KS: Martial world (8)

Contact: Scion (11) (Own usefull, complicated relations) 4 pts

Total 83 points

The Powers!

The Boreads, Others.... Flight 11" Usable as swimming, Running 33 pts

Hero's Fortune: Combat luck x2 12 pts

Hunter's eyes Nightvision 5 pts

Ditto Telescopic(sight group) + 4 RM 6 pts

Strength of heracles! + 20 ST REnd> 0, No figured 20 pts

Costume Armor +4 Def OIF 8 pts

Dream Prophesy 11 pts per USPD

Hero's Health and Vigor REnd STR>1/2 7 pts

"Fast healing" Regen, limbs 11 pts

Nestor's span of years LS- Slow ageing (1) 1 pt

Steely hero's will: Mental def (7) 5 pts

Total 119 pts

Total 119+83+148 = 350 points

The Multi-form and super song powers will be in the experianced version.......

Suggested lims:

Secret ID (though lots of people know...)

Code of the Hero 20 pts

Code vs Killing 15

Physical lim: Empathic link with Brother 5 pts (might be more, but it did not seem very limiting so far...)

Evil Twin! 15 pts

DNPC: Dad (8)

Hunted: Robber Baron (8) 20

Hunted: Mystery (8) 15 pts

Hunted: The Troll (8)

Vuln :Bullets/ pistols and rifles stun, body 30 pts (This could explain him taking body from a gun in spite of his moderate resistant defence...)(But still lets him have enought to survive supervillian sized attacks...)

Total 150