Back up battery

TheDux

So my Powered Armor/Speedster has a main battery (500 END) and two Back ups (200 END each) that must be manually exchanged (cheaper than 900 END).

So basically I have 200 END Reserve (20 Active); -2 (no recover except for large charger at base), OIF (-1/2), 2 Charges (-1 1/2)

Would I take Duration Limitation (Non persistent) and Extra Time? And for a Extra Time (Full Phase) it would be -1/2 right? I am building without a book at the moment, just need to double check full phase value.

Help, comments, suggestion very appreciated.

Re: Back up battery

So my Powered Armor/Speedster has a main battery (500 END) and two Back ups (200 END each) that must be manually exchanged (cheaper than 900 END).

So basically I have 200 END Reserve (20 Active); -2 (no recover except for large charger at base), OIF (-1/2), 2 Charges (-1 1/2)

Would I take Duration Limitation (Non persistent) and Extra Time? And for a Extra Time (Full Phase) it would be -1/2 right? I am building without a book at the moment, just need to double check full phase value.

Actually, I don't think you get that -2 limitation on the END, you just get it on the REC...

Endurance Reserve Recoveries have an extra time Limitation all their own:

Slow Recovery (-1/2)

The time scale begins with 1 minute and goes up (5 min, 20 min, etc..)

(Hero System Fifth Edition Rule Book, page 104; Revised, page 159)

This Limitation represents and END Reserve which recovers END more slowly than the usual rate.

I might build the REC of the END Reserve as follows:

4 Back up Battery Charger: Recovery (20 REC); (20 Active Points); Limited Recovery (-2), OIF Bulky (Charger At Base; -1), Slow Recovery 1 Minute (-1/2) [Notes: Limited Recovery - (Hero System Fifth Edition Rule Book, page 104; Revised, page 159)

An END Reserve with this Limitation can only recover END in certain circumstances, such as only when plugged into an electrical outlet.] - END=0

900 END? That seems excessive? Why would you ever need 900 END? Are all your powers bought with Increased END limitations?

In games where the GM allows for trips back to base to recharge between big missions then yes 900 would be quite a bit. But when you have a GM who has sent you on a simple "stop the bank robbers robbing the back down the street" mission and ended up on a 4 month expedition to a distant planet where the human equivelent is still struggling with te wheel and the beasts and monsters on the planet nearly killed the most powerful superhero of earth...

"Why not buy recovery for the END?"

I like to stick with concepts for character.

This one, Breakneck, is a reckless speedster with a battery powered suit and almost every action she makes is based on the powersupply of the suit, from extra running to the energy discharge attacks and hyper speed (+X speed, cost END every turn its on). The batteries were designed into the costume so the thier weight and bulk did not factor into the speed loss, while the on board charge would. So two smaller back up batteries were added, placed in specially designed comartments on the boots, for emergencies.

And as far as being reckless, I see Breakneck running out of END during a long up hill battle, installing a new battery and releasing the whole battery in one large bang out of frustration and/or desperation "now or never" situations.

So key points:

• GM likes to leave us with nothing more than the costumes on our backs and/or exhuast our resources over long periods.
  • Reckless character who rather sacrifice renewable energy (recovery) for speed.

Woohoo for long winded posts created just for the point of filling empty time while staying 98% on topic!

Thoughts to consider...

If most of the character's END using powers are 'active' (movement, attacks, etc...) then you should compare the points spent on the END Reserve to Reduced END on those powers instead. In most cases the END Reserve is going to be more expensive.

The only time that an END Reserve really makes more sense is in cases of powers that are normally passive (force field, desolidification, etc..) that you want to stay on even when the character is stunned or knocked out.

Help and comments:- reduce your speed and cut out all those autofire attacks. Can't imagine what else is going to cost you that much END.

So basically I have 200 END Reserve (20 Active); -2 (no recover except for large charger at base),

I'm not sure this is really worth a -2. It's worth something, though. It's just "Only recovers at base". IIRC, even END Reserves with no REC can be assumed to recover fully between adventures, or once a day, like Charges (or is that a house rule?). With no limitation, you can recover anywhere "overnight". With some limitation (-1/2 or so, maybe -1), you can only recover at the base with the recharger. How limiting is it? How often can you not get back to the base?

Here's another way to build it with the same concept: Go ahead and buy REC for it (however much you need for a full overnight charge), and limit it with OAF, Immobile (Base charger) for -2.

OIF (-1/2),

Fine.

2 Charges (-1 1/2)

No. That means you can only use the END Reserve twice a day. It doesn't mean you have two of them. You don't get a limitation for having more power available. You might consider the equipment doubling rules. An extra Backup battery would be only 5 points.

Although for the same 5 points, you could have an extra 500 END main battery, and you wouldn't have to buy the backup at all. For 10 points, you could have three extra 500-ENDers. As a GM, I'd probably let you take a limitation, say -1/2 on those 10 points to limit them to 200 and the other lims that would go with the concept.

I assume you mean Extra Time to swap in a new battery in combat. If so, then as Ghost-angel said, it would only be -1/4.

I'm not sure what you mean for the Non-persistent limitation to do. If it just means that the powers run by the battery are non-persistent, then that limitation goes on those powers themselves (assuming they are Persistent by default).