Limitation: Cannot use hand with active power

Aether

Ok, here is another question. This obviously comes under a "Limited Power" limitation, but the question is how much, since it is potentially very powerful.

Character is able to create a "fracture" of space-time in two ways. One way is to form a knife-like extension parallel to his palm (extending past fingers), the other is to create a wider shield (force wall), also parallel to the palm that he can use to block incoming attacks.

The blade is defined as follows:

"Shearing Plane"

2d6 Energy Blast

ADV: AVLD (force fields) +1 1/2

ADV: Does Body +1

ADV: Costs END to activate +1/4

= 37 AP

LIM: No Range -1/2

LIM: Does no knockback -1/4

LIM: Increased END (x2) -1/2

Obviously, with the blade out he cannot use the hand for grabbing or holding. If both the shield and blade are out (one in each hand), he obviously cannot grapple or hold anything.

Any hint on a proper limitation for this restriction would be appreciated.

This is more than a how-to sort of thing than a rules question, so I've moved it.

Personally I'd say this sounds like a form of Lockout, which is usually rated at -1/2 when it inhibits a significant number of powers. The only question is how often the use of the power inhibits the character. Since it requires both powers to be active, it's probably worth less than normal. Likewise, the value decreases if the character's not one to perform a lot of Grabs or use his hands in combat for things other than attacking. Thus, I'd probably allow a -1/4 in my games (at most; possibly a -0) -- analogous with Gestures in some ways, I s'pose -- but YMMV. ;)

Steve already said it, but this sounds like a lesser form of gestures to me. I'd put a -0 on the EB as it is really not very limiting. That's just special effects. As a GM I wouldn't allow anybody who 'fires' things from their hands to hold something in the hand they are firing from. I'd give the Force Wall a -1/4 though. The character would have to maintain the gesture while maintaining the wall so that is worth something. But it is less limiting than regular gestures as it only requires an orientation rather than a lot of wiggling etc.

I'd say it is Gestures, but only if you accept the character cannot be encumbered, Grabbed, etc. and still use the power. Absent that restriction, it's probably just a special effect.

The Shield is Constantly Gestures (throughout power; -1/2).

Note that one handed gestures are the norm - if he needed two hands to gesture for one power, that's an additional -1/4.