Anyone working on a Fallout 3 conversion?

mallet

Re: Anyone working on a Fallout 3 conversion?

I think the biggest write-up is for many of the drugs and equipment. Enhancement items granting +5 or +10 would grant +1 or +2 for ease of conversion.

I already have a write-up for scavanging and incorporating luck.

Damage is about like this:

DMG DC Active

1 1 5

2 2 10

3 2.5 12.5

4 3 15

6 4 20

8 5 25

12 5.5 27.5

16 6 30

24 7 35

32 8 40

48 8.5 42.5

64 9 45

96 10 50

128 11 55

192 11.5 57.5

256 12 60

384 13 65

This makes the Scoped .44 Mag (27 DMG by the book) at 37.5 Active Points (ish) which is exactly 2d6K +1 STUNx

I'd also make all rifles armor piercing (AP).

Weapons that are area affect/autofire have those advantages but the active points above are for the damage construct only and do not include AE or AF.

For armor, the DEF is equal to the DC in the above chart. If the armor has significant weight (e.g. Combat Armor) it is hardened. Powered Armor is 2xHardened and DEF = DCx1.5.

So, Ranger Combat Armor (DR 39) is DEF 8 Hardened and weighs 12kg. Powered Armor of DR 32 would be 2xHardened and DEF 12.

For example, an assault rifle (DMG 16) would be 2d6-1K +1 STUNx (31 active), which is on track. Since it is a rifle, it is also Armor Piercing if you like that rule.

These formulas are useful in converting the gear. I would adjust to fit the setting and the role of the item, but this is a good start.

• 1 year later...

Haha! Ressurection is Mine!

http://www.legendsmiths.com/adventures/fallout

specifically: http://www.legendsmiths.com/adventures/fallout/conversion-notes

My conversion is now in full swing. With 2 adventures under my belt I think I'm getting the handle on it.

I started, but haven't completed, a Hero conversion of equipment. I've got a good first pass on armor and weapons, and I completed drugs (including StimPaks) and food.

I just updated most of the equipment. I have a prefab for weapons, and the armor roughed out. I also posted an HD template file for Fallout. I think it's coming together.

I also updated my conversion notes with a fairly unique approach to STUN, END, Recoveries and how that plays into the feel of Fallout vis a vis starvation and food consumption.

Radiation I also think is done and defined, using Fallout rad count levels but the 6E2 153 Hero mechanics. Yea!

http://www.legendsmiths.com/adventures/fallout/equipment

Very nice! I'm replaying Fallout 3 at present, so this is much appreciated. Almost wants me to dig up my X-Com HERO conversion notes.

Now for the fun part, how would you do Ghouls? Especially Ghoul PCs, who are not only immune, but are healed by radiation? Use the 2 point LS for immunity?

• 2 months later...

Dude!! I thought that I just had this thought now and am sure glad that I decided to check first. You've just saved me a heck of a lot of work. Pops to you man! Although, I hope you don't mind me borrowing your stuff.

Mudpyr8, I really love what you've done for equipment. Have you tried stating out any of the creatures like supermutants, radscorpions, etc.? My plan is to create and then run a Fallout 3 style campaign set in Melbourne Australia. I'll share here if/when I get going.

I've got a Deathclaw, and that's about it. Oddly enough I don't often stat out my "bad guys" - I never seem to get around to it. I just ran "Clean Water Action" at U*Con this past weekend and it had:

Radscorpions

Raiders

shotgun trap

Dynamite trap (which they dismantled and used later)

Tinker Joe (I usually use the wiki/prima guide as a resource for NPC interactions)

Sentry Bot (which the team set up an IED to cause a small landslide to knock over the sentry bot so they could try to disable it)

Protectrons

Mole Rats

Several security terminals

Turrets

Mr. Gutsy w/flamers

Unstable floor hazard

I intend to write up the details on this and share, but right now just have my notes. One thing I love about running Fallout at a con... everybody wants to play, even if they don't know Hero. And the way this conversion works, they don't care about the system because it doesn't get in the way and it feels just like Fallout, down to VATS targeting.

Fun stuff.

• 3 weeks later...