Fantasy HERO Grimoire

Nightshade

I don't know if this has been answered, but I wondering what groups of spells were actually in the Grimoire. I was sure I saw alchemy and necromancy, but what else? I am wondering as I am working on my campaign and would like to know what may already be "done", since my buying the book is a forgone conclusion. :cool:

Thanks.

Nightshade

The "arcana" covered in the book are:

Alchemy

Conjuration

Divination

Druidry (nature magic)

Elemental Magic (the standard four, plus some others)

Enchantment (magic item creation)

Necromancy

Sorcery (mind magics, illusions, etc.)

Thaumaturgy (shape and force manipulation/alteration)

Witchcraft

Wizardry (everything that doesn't fit elsewhere ;) )

And then there's a section on divine magic (spells for priests).

In total, there are about 400 "base" spells in the book. When you count all the variations, options, and such, the total comes to about 4,500 spells.

As a comparison, by my count the 3rd Ed. D&D Player's Handbook has 473 spells.

It's nominally related to the Turakian Age magic system, but only nominally. First, I chose that "system" because it's (a) close to the "average" system in the "average" FH campaign (the only odd thing about it, the final step of dividing a spell's Real Cost by 3, isn't performed in the FHG), and (B) it's easy to work from this very simple system to adapt the spells to more unusual systems.

In fact, as you can tell from the numbers above, the spells have a lot of options and variants -- the average is about 12 per spell. That's because a lot of them are "standardized" for easy adaptation to other systems. For example, just about every spell has options for removing Focus, or Incantations, or Gestures, or the Required Skill Roll. Thus, if your magic system does not require (or forbids) RSRs, you just tell the players, "always take the "Master's Version" option for a spell."

I have to ground the book in some setting, because otherwise it loses too much structure and usefulness. But the book's been constructed to make it as useful and helpful to as many FH games and gamers as possible. ;)

Originally posted by Steve Long

It's nominally related to the Turakian Age magic system, but only nominally. First, I chose that "system" because it's (a) close to the "average" system in the "average" FH campaign (the only odd thing about it, the final step of dividing a spell's Real Cost by 3, isn't performed in the FHG), and (B) it's easy to work from this very simple system to adapt the spells to more unusual systems.

Is the division of the Real Cost by 3 including all the lims on the spell, or some other ruling of fuction of the magic system?

If I know that all the spells in a certain magic system have a -2 lim on them, I can customise the limitations to fit the system.

Jak

Originally posted by JakSpade

Is the division of the Real Cost by 3 including all the lims on the spell, or some other ruling of fuction of the magic system?

If I know that all the spells in a certain magic system have a -2 lim on them, I can customise the limitations to fit the system.

Jak

From what I've read, it is a function of the magic system. All spells have their final real cost divided by 3. The system is briefly described in the back of fantasy hero near the Mage write-up, IIRC.

Keith "no limitations" Curtis