What's the point? They're gonna escape anyways

quozaxx

Re: What's the point? They're gonna escape anyways

Oh' date=' so last night, I made my costume up. It's yellow and black stripes and it has nonfunctional wings. So I'm going to call myself Queen Bee Man and knock over liquor stores. Maybe I can inspire some Science Heroes to originate.:celebrate[/quote']

Does this mean as a supervillain you're going to be suffering from gender confusion issues? :D

Why bother?

Because somebody has to stop them from doing what they are trying. I don't know about yoyu but I'm not ready to live under Dr. D's rule or have myself and my loved-ones replaced by machines or ... whatever that plan is they are hatching this time.

Sure they escape, but that's not the point. The point is that your country is still free, your friends aren't toasters, and ... well you've foiled their plans.

Plus it's always fun to turn it back on them when they inevitably come back: "Oh please! This is how many times we've foiled your plans? Why do you even try? You know you'll loose. Yes you'll escape and come up with another scheme to take over the world/destroy organic life/whatever, but that's not the point. The point is that going on past experience your going to loose. Again! I mean, really, what's the point?

It's not Heroes that should be asking 'what's the point?' it's villians. Heroes get what they want (adoration, the girl, the warm feeling that comes with a job well done) Villians get beaten up, made to look like fools (even when they are Megavillians) and have to run away with their tails between their legs. Even when they score a victory it never lasts, the world doesn't work like that.

It's better to be a hero, that way you'll know that eventually you'll win (even if you must sacrifice everything to do it). Which is why so many of my villians think they are 'heroes'. "I'm only taking over the world for it's own good", "Humanity is the greatest threat this planet has ever faced it must be eradicated for the good of all life", "machine life is the next step in evolution and I am it's champion", etc...

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Karma again."

Symbolism

It's all about the symbol. What you stand for, what they stand for, and what the people see. I don't remember the exact quote, but I'll try my best.

They mention it in Batman Begins. I forget the exact quote though. "A man can be killed, can be injured. But a symbol. That is something more powerful. Something that will be remembered." It was along those lines.

A hero is a symbol. They stand for and signify what people believe are right. They have great powers and feel a need to help, whether from guilt or responsibility or duty does not matter. The person may be flawed and make mistakes, but the hero is a sign of great goodness and being a step closer to perfection.

They are also an example to the people around them. The hero, especially the superhero, tries to make the world a better place. One or two might have the power to force people to do what they want, but eventually people would fight back so they could have their freedom.

However, by doing the right thing, no matter how tiring, frustrating, irritating or whatever, they lead by example. A person, or group of people see the hero going through it all again, doing everything that they can to do what they believe in, for what's right instead of what's easy. Maybe it makes them think that if they are willing to try and do something for such a hard matter, then maybe they can do something similar on a smaller scale. Even if it's just stopping to check on someone, giving a couple dollars to a charity, or doing their best at a job they aren't happy with because it needs to be done.

It can also be thought of as a symbol on an individual level. Every person has the great potential to do good or evil. Most of us try to do our best to do good, what we feel is right. It does not stop us from having certain feelings and urges we would rather completely ignore. Most people feel the urges, and do everything we can to keep them "in prison" as it were and continue to to do good. The urges do not go away though. As such, asking "What's the point of stopping criminals and turning them in if they keep getting away?" would be the same as "Why should I bother fighting these dark urges and trying to do good when I'm just going to feel them again?"

So long as good is willing to fight evil, be it on a personal level, like our own urges, or a superhero scale like with supervillains, there is some strength to it. So long as people are willing to try, there is hope. If heroes start to kill villains, they're saying "there is no real hope. Evil is stronger than good, and only evil will get you what you want." A small scale, but one that would grow as people started to give up.

The world needs hope. The world needs people willing to do what's right now matter how burdensome or frustrating it can be. The world needs people willing to try and be a symbol of all that is good and right, all that is the hope of humanity and its future. Neither good nor evil may be able to be destroyed, but so long as there is a feeling that something good is out there willing to protect people and keep them safe from evil, it will make many people willing to sleep a little better, and try a little harder.

Of course, solely from a comic book view, there are two reasons. One is that if they never got free, then the companies would have to keep coming up with new villains more often for not as the old one are imprisoned for years, possibly decades. The other is the popularity of the villain. Some of them are, despite how wicked they are, tend to be something that appeals to people for one reason or another. We may know they will lose, but it's interesting to see what they will do. A great villain will want to be seen again. A not so great one will never be remembered, and disappear after one or two appearances.

Part of this depends on the comic in question. Marvel and DC, with a multitude of writers and titles, tends to have villains breakout whenever it's useful. Astro City, with one creative team, has a more 'realistic' view. Villains and heroes stay dead, or capture, or missing. The team behind Astro City wants to create more characters, so they don't feel the need to constantly trot out the same old "black mask" when they need a foe for a hero.

All jokes (or are they?), but I just have to.

We do it..

For the hot chicks. (or guys)

To see myself on TV.

Where else can I punch someone and get away with it?

To lull people into a false sense of security while I prepare my master plan! Muw ha ha ha!

Because I'm a wiiild and crazy guy (or girl, or...)

Because I like the tights, and if I did anything while wearing them, I'd look ridiculous.

God, I am soooo bored.

Because I can.