Abilities stopped by an item

mallet

Hi guys,

Just looking for ideas on how you would build a character in this situation:

A human demon hunter kills a demon with a magical dagger, but some of the demon's essence/power enters the character's hand. That hand is now possessed with demonic energy. The character now wears a magic ring that holds the demonic energy in check. If he takes the ring off he gains demonic powers, but the longer he has the ring off the further the Demonic energy spreads up his arm so eventually he might be fully possessed by the demon.

So to sum it all up:

-His powers come from the demonic energy in his hand. Maybe built as a multipower.

-The ring keeps the energy in check. No ring = eventual turn to the darkside.

-Sometime he will want to take the ring off, to help fight badguys, save people, etc... but never for very long.

How would you guys build this?

Would the ring be some sort of reverse focus? OIHID? restrainable?

Any input would be helpful.

Re: Abilities stopped by an item

Interesting Concept!

I think there are two bits to this character. A slow descent into possession by demonic energy, best represented by either a physical limitation, a psych lim, or a dependence on wearing the ring.

The other half is the powers he gets from his demonic hand. I can see this as a reverse focus (wear the focus, lose the power), a power with lockout to wearing the ring, a power with a straight up limitation "only while not wearing the ring" (-1/4 or -1/2), or even a OIHI (since people could grab his arms and keep him from taking off the ring).

Of these choices, I like the straight up, limited power best.

I would just buy the entire Multipower of Demonic Powers with the Gestures Limitation -1/4.

The "Gesture" would be removing the ring.

If, for some reason, he was tied up and could not remove the ring, he would not have access to the powers.

If the change into the Demon only slowly occurred when the ring was off, and any changes were reversed as soon as the ring was put back on, I would just call it a Physical Limitation. (And make sure to stat out the Demon, and make sure that turning into the Demon is not an advantage in combat.)

If the change happens more quickly, you could set it up as a Berserk, and then also have a Accidental Change that happens when Berserk.

That way you would have the uncontrolled ticked-off Demon on your hands that you probably should have.

KA.

You may also want to have a snappy incantation that the character uses when he takes off the ring. You would not have to take a Limitation for it, it would just add some flavor.

May I suggest . . .

Begone! Demon Hunting Dude

Free the Evil Hand so Rude

Let Those who Loiter and Malinger

Be Frightened of my Flaming Finger

:D

KA.

i would buy the powers normally.

i would also buy a susceptability - "remove the ring" transform "to evil demonic steve" set to go off moment by moment or at whatever timeframe you want. make the transform have partial effects.

so lets say you want to transform completely in a weel. set the transform to go off daily with enough dice to beat your 2xbody after seven "doses.

you can tailor the transofmr susc to match whatever timeframe you wish.

removing the ring is not something you will want to do so iots the equivalent of an uncommon

now if using the powers actively speeds up the effect, also apply a side effect transform to the use of the powers.

So - gradual transform is a susc transform

powers cause the change is a side effect transform.

and you can have both.