Someone Please Explain This to Me?

Lucius

Re: Someone Please Explain This to Me?

What if hit locations affected BOD more than STUN for KA's and STUN more than BOD for normal attacks?

Let's assume a Chest shot is neutral (no added or reduced DC's), a shot that currently gets a 1x Stun Multiple gets -4 DC, 2x Stun Multiple imposes -2 DC, a 3x gets no change, 4x gets +2 DC and 5x gets +4 DC.

What if, for KA's, the modifier is only for BOD (or only half for STUN but full for BOD) and for normal attacks, it's only for STUN (or full for STUN and half for BOD)?

I think it depends on how much complication you want to add to the system but I would be all for certain locations adding pain but not serious injury while others add more serious injury with little extra pain...

:)

Doc

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest steamteck

What if hit locations affected BOD more than STUN for KA's and STUN more than BOD for normal attacks?

Let's assume a Chest shot is neutral (no added or reduced DC's), a shot that currently gets a 1x Stun Multiple gets -4 DC, 2x Stun Multiple imposes -2 DC, a 3x gets no change, 4x gets +2 DC and 5x gets +4 DC.

Halve that and that's pretty much how we handle it. I've always figured the hit location penalties were way too high though. Maybe not so bad for ranged but too high for hand to hand .

Halve that and that's pretty much how we handle it. I've always figured the hit location penalties were way too high though. Maybe not so bad for ranged but too high for hand to hand .

I'd be reluctant to have only one or two DC's added, especially when a Haymaker adds 4 DC's. Making a head shot the equivalent of a haymaker seems reasonable. That allows for a range of +1 to +4 DC's (and similar reductions) which seems broad enough to be worthwhile.

With that level in mind, I'm OK with the penalties where they are. I can see reducing the penalties if the benefits are also reduced.

Thinking on it, -8 OCV to add 4 DC damage is similar to +4 DC instead of +8 OCV from 8 combat skill levels.

Actually I haven't had much of an issue with KA the way they are presented in the rules.

In Champions (Which I have been playing since the early 80s), KA's were first only bought to destroy cars and such. We used Normal Attacks as this was fitting for the genre. When our first munchkins brought their Wolverine clones into our games, we found that the 33% chance to do no Stun equaled out their ability to do massive Stun.

Also the KB rules used right(players using good tactics) also balanced things in the favor of Normal attacks somewhat. We had always taken to hitting villians in the direction of high def objects so that they would take full KB damage. KA's and Martial arts rarely did enough KB to bother. Also when the rare KA did roll a x5 multiplier it was a Player triumph that was celebrated.

Also we tended to write characters up with a ton of rDef. Face it players like to bounce bullets from their chest. So most players will write characters with a high rDef.

In Heroic games (Normals) we never had an issue with KA damage. Though the Hit location Chart hoses Normal attacks (more than half the locations are half stun locations for Normal attacks). Killing attacks did what they are supposed to do. Create dead and dying NPCs. We always had enough armor to mitigate most of the damage.

So I don't mind the stun lotto and don't change it in my champions games. In normal games that use the hit location chart it has never been an issue (been playing normals since Justice Inc and FH 1.0).

So perhaps your boring mods and stuff will be presented as optional rules, but leave the old rules as they stand.

Tasha

(Rules conservative)