Hero Philosophy - SPEED

Sean Waters

Re: Hero Philosophy - SPEED

Personally, I think the Speed Chart works just fine, and several of my players have tried to convince other GMs to use it in other systems where multiple actions are an issue (especially the infamous Shadowrun systems), but there are a few annoying consequences, like the Move-Through and Move-By.

Velocity per Turn is still a character's _actual_ velocity, and it should not in effect become lower per phase the higher your Speed gets, which is what happens if you base Grab-By/Move-By/Move-Through damage/effects/modifiers on Move per Phase.

If you change one you should change the others. Unfortunately, this gives Grab-By and Move-By an advantage, since they just benefit the higher velocity gets. The simplest solution is to leave it be and just worry about it in specifically important situations and calculate the character's current velocity in the segment it applies to an action.

Otherwise, dividing Move-Through damage based on velocity per Turn by 4 seems reasonable, but how would this apply to Grab-By and Move-By? I am very curious about how this would work, given the current rules' disregard for actual velocity (even Ultimate Speedster only considers velocity effects based on Move/Phase).

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think the Speed Chart works just fine, and several of my players have tried to convince other GMs to use it in other systems where multiple actions are an issue (especially the infamous Shadowrun systems), but there are a few annoying consequences, like the Move-Through and Move-By.

Velocity per Turn is still a character's _actual_ velocity, and it should not in effect become lower per phase the higher your Speed gets, which is what happens if you base Grab-By/Move-By/Move-Through damage/effects/modifiers on Move per Phase.

If you change one you should change the others. Unfortunately, this gives Grab-By and Move-By an advantage, since they just benefit the higher velocity gets. The simplest solution is to leave it be and just worry about it in specifically important situations and calculate the character's current velocity in the segment it applies to an action.

Otherwise, dividing Move-Through damage based on velocity per Turn by 4 seems reasonable, but how would this apply to Grab-By and Move-By? I am very curious about how this would work, given the current rules' disregard for actual velocity (even Ultimate Speedster only considers velocity effects based on Move/Phase).

Actually, the current optional Velocity Factor rules already address the concerns you raise. In certain situations* they even produce more damage for a Move By than the standard rules. They only reduce Move Through damage at the higher movement rates.

* excerpts from my namesake character:

Hyper-Movement III (Straight Flight): Flight 20", x32 Noncombat

Notes: Combat Velocity of ~45 mph (VF=6), Non-Combat Velocity of ~1440 mph (VF=16): Bridges gap between Trick Flight's Combat maximum and Megascale minimum. Move By Damage is STR/2 + (VF)d6. Move Through OCV penalty is -(VF) and Damage is STR + (VF)d6. The Velocity Factor value (5ER pg 436) is equal to the (relative) Velocity Based DCV value (5ER page 364).

Hyper-Strike I (Variable): Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6, (Maximum of 30 STR can be combined with HA; +0), Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; Affects Desolidified, AOE 1 Hex (Can be Blocked but not Dodged), Armor Piercing, Autofire x5, Penetrating; +1); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

Notes: Haymaker adds +4 DC. Move By subtracts -3 DC's (1/2 STR 30) and adds +1 DC/10". Move Through adds +1 DC/6". Replace bonus for movement with VF/2 if using those optional rules. Move By Damage: (20"/VF=6, 11d6/12d6), (15"/VF=5, 10d6/11d6), (36"/VF=8, 12d6/13d6) . Move Through Damage: (15d6/15d6), (14d6/14d6), (18d6/16d6). Cannot combine Autofire with other manuevers. Each shot costs 9 END per shot w/STR 30

The Velocity Factor value (5ER pg 436) is equal to the (relative) Velocity Based DCV value (5ER page 364).

I stand corrected, having missed that Optional Rule (have 5ER in PDF only). Thank you for pointing that out. :o This probably also means I finally have to relent and print the whole shebang out... (goes off to figure the Speed and Charges of my poor printer)